I LOVE John McCain

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:52 pm
I literally love the man. I would do anything for him to be president.

He disagrees with Bush on gay marriage, medicaid reform, tax cuts, global warming, the environment and many many other issues.

"I believe my party has gone astray," McCain said yesterday, singling out GOP stands on environmental issues and racial set-asides.

"I think the Democratic Party is a fine party, and I have no problems with it, in their views and their philosophy," he said. "But I also feel the Republican Party can be brought back to the principles I articulated before."

And he took another shot at President Bush. "You can't fly in on an aircraft carrier and declare victory and have the deaths continue. You can't do that."

"Many people in this room question, legitimately, whether we should have gone in or not," McCain said, adding that Iraq "will be part of this presidential campaign."

He is a close friend of Kerry and worked with him on many pieces of legislation.

He came out and said that he thinks Bush's tax cuts went disproportionately to the rich. He wants the middle class tax cuts left and the rest repealed to pay for the debt.

He criticized G W when he landed on an aircraft carrier in a flight suit and said that major combat is over.

He came out in defence of Kerry and many other democrats when the republican attack machines attacked them.

This is a man of integrity. A man who crosses party lines to do what is right.

He is everything I want in a president.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 758 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:03 am
Quote:
He is everything I want in a president

Glad you like him. I feel the same way about Zell Miller Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:03 am
Quote:
He is everything I want in a president

Glad you like him. I feel the same way about Zell Miller Smile
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:30 am
The difference being, McCain is a conservative in the truest sense Foxfyre. He believes in a small nonintervationist government whose only major responsibilites is to stimulate the economy, defend the country, help the poor, and balance the budget.

He has many good reasons to critique the president and the current state of the GOP.

And yet, he is loyal. He has vowed to always remain a republican and to always stand behind Bush no matter how much he disagrees with him. He continues to endorse and campaign for Bush.

Zell Miller is not a true liberal in any sense of the word. He misrepresents himself by being a member of a party that he never belonged to. And he has no sense of party loyalty openly campaigning for Bush. If you aren't willing to support the party, why not quit.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:34 am
Well I think McCain is not a true conservative in any sense of the word either. It is for that reason, not because he wasn't a likeable guy, that he couldn't get much traction as a presidential candidate. But that's another discussion.

But if McCain is praiseworthy for going outside the party line to follow his convictions, it amazes me that Zell Miller is demonized by his party for doing the same thing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:41 am
nonintervationist?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:56 am
I agree Centroles. I was sorely disappointed when he did not win the republican nomination in the prior election. Not only do I support many of his viewpoints as you mentioned, but he is not afraid to speak up and say so. That is rare in any of the parties. It seems he makes decisions logically. And foxfyre no political candidate should be demonized in any way for speaking their mind. However, I thought many Republicans were upset with McCain because of his speaking his convictions, not much different than Miller.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:40 am
I would certainly vote for John McCain over either of the current candidates (or Zell Miller for that matter).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:27 am
At this point in the campaign I agree.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:29 am
Ya think we could draft him?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:42 am
He's certainly forgiving after he was bashed by his own party and I often can't see how he can rationalize staying with the Republican party other than we are in the grip of a two party system the forefathers feared.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:42 pm
I can see the rationale.

As a member of the republican party, he can get many of his people to back him even with policies that are traditionally liberal.

And all the democrats love the guy too.

How do you think he got campaign finace reform passed when many republicans hated the idea of it, in the middle of republican controlled congress no less, and a republican president who threatened to veto the bill.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:47 pm
i don't dislike zell miller. I disagree with him on some issues, but no more than I disagree with Kerry.

But I don't think it's prudent for a member of the democratic party to go out and openly endorse and campaign for such a stauntly neoconservative president. Even worse, don't go out and say that the democratic party sucks and that the republican party is the onlky party that makes sense, as he did on many occasions.

All McCain ever said was that the democratic party is a fine party. But he made it quite clear that he was closer ideologically to the republican party. All McCain ever did was defend Kerry against unfair attacks, such as on his patriotism. He never endorsed Kerry. He campaigned for Bush.

If you agree with the guy on some things, say so. If you think he's being unfairly attacked, please defend him. But you shouldn't just snub your nose at the entire party.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:20 pm
This is only gentle kidding, Centroles, but you got through that dissertation without inventing any new words!
0 Replies