Scary Children's Television Shows

carrie

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:48 pm
When you were little did you ever sit behind the sofa quaking and looking like this when a children's programme came on... Shocked ...?

Most people I know say they were scared of Dr Who but couldn't tear themselves away, my mum says the 'Singing Ringing tree' scared her and I remember a programme in a dolls house with a 'Mr Apple' (scary man) which I didn't find too appealing!

Has anyone else got any programmes that have stuck with them for their scare factor?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,659 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:05 am
For me, it was the short-lived "Clowning Around" with John Wayne Gacy. Something just wasn't right about that guy.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:26 am
Don't know that one...it seems to be something about 'something not quite right' with a character though...Mr Apple seemed really pervy and scary...yuk...

By the by, the most worrying one must have been Captain Pugwash with characters like Roger the Cabin boy and Master Bates...say no more!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:37 am
Actually, my post was a joke carrie. John Wayne Gacy was a notorious serial killer who preyed on young boys. He also happened to work part-time as a clown. Creepy...I'm wracking my brain to think of a real children's show that scared me...I LOVED Dr. Who, and the theme song didn't even phase me. Now that Captain Pugwash sounds right pervy. I do think that if the Teletubbies had been around when I was a kid, that would have frightened me as much as it frightens me now. Laughing
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:49 am
The sun on it scares me now...and as for the John Wayne Gacy thing...that's scaring me now...lol...over my head I'm afraid..lol...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:00 am
Kids shouldn't see any of the movies by Steve King!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:15 am
See, when I was a kid, I was terrified by clowns. I was surrounded by this posse of clowns at a circus and my mom just sat there and laughed while the clowns tried to get me to go with them. So any show with clowns I would just click by . There was a Friday night Horror film festival that I really loved. All the old horror films and this host who used to come in and goof on the films like those puppets in mystery SCience Theater 3000. (Which, by the way, has been taken off by the SciFi Channel)
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:17 am
Teletubbies. Probably the scariest show I've ever seen.

Seriously, Barney is much worse.

Okay, really seriously. . . I don't recall being scared by a show/movie until I was 12 and saw 'Poltergeist'. My parents still laugh about me and chicken after that movie. . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:19 am
"They're heeeeerrrrre..."

Heh heh...
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:23 am
Ya know, it took me a good fifteen years to be able to watch that movie again. But I didn't even blink at The Exorcist. I remember watching it and thinking 'What's the big deal?' I've even got a couple of horror movies that I've really enjoyed, such as John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness and that, too me, is scarier that Poltergiest. Of course, I was much older when I saw PoD. And The Omen.. .that was one fubar'd movie.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:29 am
Quote:
Ya know, it took me a good fifteen years to be able to watch that movie again. But I didn't even blink at The Exorcist.

That is the difficult thing. One never knows how a particular movie will affect an youngster. Something that is highly traumatic to one child, might elicit a yawn from another. I think that is a good reason for parents to be extremely vigilant about the stuff that their child watches.

I was traumatized by a movie that I saw when I was 12. It ran a few months ago on cable, and I could not bring myself to watch it!
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:28 am
I absolutely loved Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' when I was little and on my birthday one day I asked my mum if me and my friends could watch it...all of us being quite gutsy, she didn't think anything of it. All of my friends liked it, but then later on after everyone had gone home, my best friends mum came round and said that he had been really scared by it. We all felt really bad about it, so Phoenix, an illustration of your point!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:31 am
For some reason I was extremely scared of Mr. Green Jeans on the Captain Kangaroo Show. For the life of me I do not know why. I was also very frighten of any show with a ventriloquist doll.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:34 am
Linkat- You never know what will scare a little one. I had a kid's book that I loved when I was very little (preschool). On the last page there was a logo. As I remember, it was a large black star with a thin black ring around it. The name of the publisher was in white on the black star. I loved the book, but I made sure that I never turned to the last page. That image scared the hell out of me.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:38 pm
Some books used to scare me .... I'll have to have a think of some...hmmm...ponder ponder...some of those story teller tape adn books scared me, one in particular with the sound of hundreds of bugs scurrying along the floor...I couldn't get out of bed after that one..I kinda liked being scared by that though in a strange way.
0 Replies