How do I set a price to my work?

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 12:36 pm
I will be taking part of an Art Show in New York next month and I will like to have my pieces for sell, I have read everything there is in the forums regarding the topic, however, the pieces I will have at the show are "Drawings", charcoal, pastel, ink and watercolor, so, non of the suggestions I have found are base on these media. Is there any formula that can be use to set a fare price for both the artist and the client?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,525 • Replies: 34
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 02:58 pm
Ray, It seems to me that A2K has covered this subject before. I would recommend that you try to find that thread. Some professional artists I have talked to said they charge by the square inch. However, I think you must first find out how much in demand your art work will have. My suggestion would be to look at other's art pieces, and try to price yours someplace between the high and low for similar looking art works. If they don't sell, that means it's too high. Just remember that everybody has very subjective taste in art, and what may be junk to one, may be precious to another. It's a tough call, but you gotta start someplace. Good luck!
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 03:17 pm
Thank you very much Cicerone, I will look for that thread and see what I can learned from there. I have done some research on line and have found some information on the topic.

Once again, thank you.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:46 pm
Rayvatrap....I would do your research then ask yourself, "How much do I love it?" then set a price!
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:57 am
Shepaints, thank you for the suggestion.
I do love my work a lot, that why I have not sold much of it. But I want to take part on this exhibition and your work has to be for sale, that's why I'm asking all over the place and looking for a way to learn on how to do it.
I saw your thread but there is a difference on your case and mine. Most of my work is on paper - charcoal, pencil, watercolor and ink - and I know for a fact that I can not price it the same as oil and acrylic on canvas.

Plus, this is the first time I'll be taking part of a real exhibition out of school or small friends circle, so, it's sort of a big deal for me and want to have things right. This might be the doorway to my future!

Anyway, how did everything turn out for you?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:50 pm
If you're a new artist I would begin by taking the time to visit some of the galleries in your area -- Soho for instance. Look at similar work in a similar size and it will help come up with a formula according to size. With sketches, you can't really go by hours. Remember that gallery prices are double what the artist receives so if you're pricing to sell direct (I assume you do not show through a gallery which you would have to protect) price your work at half of the gallery prices. You'll have to be bold enough to ask someone in the gallery something about the artists. They would, of course, have to be fairly new in marketing their work.

For sketches, unframed, say about 16 x 20 I could make an educated guess that they shouldn't be over $100.00 to $200.00. At this time in your artistic endeavor, you can't establish an intrinsic value and in many shows of new work, the prices are negotiable.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:10 pm
Thank you!

I have done some research on line and have come across of few artist with a list of prices by size, also, I'll be going the galleries this weekend, I still have a bit of time to look around before the show. I also have asked few artist that I know or have had the chance to talk to them about their experiences on their line of work. I've gotten few very interesting answers and I will be taking advantage of all the new knowledge I'm gaining.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:15 pm
Online is okay, too, especially if you can find similar work. Visiting galleries can be a frustrating experience as you can run into the elitist attitude (a nicer way of saying the snob approach). I'm afraid I can be unreceptive to artists wandering in to pick brains if I'm not in the right mood. It actually happens quite often. It's like anything else -- you have to work at it and explore, hopefully reaping some reward.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:16 pm
That happens in every line of work, not matter what it is, but I am sort of happy with the information I am getting from the web, it's not exactly the same but at least is giving me an idea of what to do or ask for my work. So, I am almost set for both shows - hopefully :wink: .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:37 pm
I wish you the best providence -- it's a tough business and art doesn't meld well with business. If you are framing the work, add at lest 20% to the cost of the framing for your trouble. If you find a wholesale framer they will likely give you a discount.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:39 pm
Ray, How about posting some pictures of some of your art works? c.i.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:45 pm
Thank you very much Lightwizard!
Most of my work is framed for the acrylics. I got a nice looking, modern and cheap frames, plus using the skills learned in school I getting them to look very fancy. Laughing
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:46 pm
Sure, how do you do it?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:49 pm
Scan your photo, save, then post it on the A2K Gallery.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:50 pm
Cool, I'll have some of them up in the gallery tonight!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:51 pm
Before you post them on A2K, you must shrink the size to less than 150kb. Looking forward to viewing them. c.i.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 05:12 pm
I have try twice and it doesn't seem to work Sad , I will try from home later tonight.

Thank you Cicerone!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 05:56 pm
It's difficult to upload from your harddrive because of security patches. I haven't really tried it but you can click on the Help button and get assistance.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:59 pm
The only problem I've had uploading onto A2K Gallery is the photo size being too big - over 150KB. When they're tiny, it loads real quick - zip quick. Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:06 pm
I figured there's a size limitation. I would use a photoshop program and drop the size down.
0 Replies