~~~~My 1st job & yrs? ~~

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:45 am
Ok, I'm 19 and this is my first actual job--meaning i get to fill out papers!--It's at Pizza Hut. I know alot of that first sentence is pretty lame.. like for instance being 19 and getting my FIRST job and then at PIZZA HUT. The people seemed pleasent though. I don't know I guess I'm just excited about it.. Why am i excited?? ... No clue. heh, With that i was wondering where yall all started out at?.. (i've had 'other' jobs, but none that would count as experience... just references) So, Do TEll... hehe Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,408 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:49 am
My first job was in quality control at a company that manufactured psychotropic drugs.
0 Replies

taffykaydee

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:57 am
lol! your quick Neutral
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 12:05 pm
i was 20 when i got my first desk job, working with my dad in an engineering office -- doing hand drafting... that's right, nepotism at its finest Embarrassed Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 12:08 pm
Goodness - my first part time job was working in a kitchen in a nursing home. I washed dishes, set up tables, dished out desserts, help load trays, etc. Had a number of odd jobs once I graduated high school, including several office jobs, many temporary positions during the summers while I went to college - including the most boring which was putting stickers in a sales catalog over some diagrams that were incorrect and discovered after printing the catalogs.

And congratulations! You should be excited starting out on your first job - no matter what it is!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 12:11 pm
My first job, I was 16, was as a life guard at the community pool. I think it was my third day.. as I was walking by the shallow end I saw a little kid standing on the bottom holding a toy truck. At first it didn't make an impression on me and I kept walking , twirling the issued whistle around my right index finger. Then all of a sudden I realized this kid was probably drowning. I jumped in, arms spread wide as I was taught and the rest was a blurr in time. I was told later that I held the 5 year old by the ankles, gave him a whomp on the back and with a splutter he started breathing again. Sometimes I wonder whatever became of him.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 02:52 pm
Wow, panzade, what a start into the working life!

My first job was working as a temp - I had to sit at the desk of a lady who had been sick for months. So I sat there, looking at the telephone that did not ring, not really doing anything and it was really exiting if I had to photocopy something. And of course - that was before we had computers in the office...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 03:05 pm
My first real job (after delivering papers) was as a file clerk in lower Manhattan. Boring work, but the other kids were cool--NY City kids who had jumped ahead and we already in college. I was a suburban loser still in high school. I envied those kids. Helped open my eyes at how dull my life was...

Those first pay checks are a thrill, aren't they?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 03:19 pm
My first job - after school, being drafted to the navy and before university, was as aide and fitter at a concrete firm: fitting the irons and -later- building up the parts (e.g. for a large hospital) in different parts of Germany.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:59 am
I started working at 12, after school paper route and every friday night I worked the concession at the church bingo.
0 Replies

taffykaydee

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:51 pm
Man i wanted to be a temp .. i've heard a few times that its the easiest way to find a job. but our temp agency (staffing solutions) says you have to have atleast 6 mo. experience somewhere. ack, its amazing the kindof endless circles you have to break out of sometimes. Meaning: I need a car to get a car you need a job..to keep a job u usually need a car. lol! damned circles! Wink hope all is well on all of your end of the puter-taffykaydee
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:59 pm
That's odd taffy. At the temp agency I went to, I did not think that they required any experience. Do not remember for sure, but I cannot imagine that they would require it according to some of the jobs I took on. I don't know if you have more than one in your area, but it may be worth checking out a few just to see what they look for.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:52 pm
My first job, a summer job at 16, was bagging groceries.

My first job after college was cleaning a parking garage, third shift.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:38 pm
I packed combs into presentation packs in a plastics factory! And I was crap at it. My hand-eye co-ordination has never been good!
0 Replies

taffykaydee

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:46 am
Nah, Link this is a small town, we only have one of 'em. I think I'll keep this one i've got now for a while and be a waitress w/experience that way i'll always have sumfin to do if i (soz~~>) f' myself over. Then, Ill go back to saffing solutions and see if they'll find me sumthin.

Seal poet: After college?? Shocked ...
0 Replies

taffykaydee

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:48 am
haha margo. so you can't rub your belly or pat your head at the same time? lol Wink
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 01:16 pm
can't even tie my shoelaces!

and I've got less dextrous with age Sad
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 01:38 am
My first job was in my 3rd year in college, working for one of my professors...

I had to write a computer program to determine the specifications of a high speed wind tunnel blades which was being built in my college
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 02:00 am
My first job was at the age of ten hand delivering supermarket flyers.

At 16 I was in the Air Force. (hated it)

At 17 I was a surveyors assistant with the local council, and a short time later an electrical apprentice at BHP. Still an electrician at the same plant which has gone through a few name changes and change of company.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 02:01 am
At 32 I was offered a part time job playing the flute in the psych ward at the local hospital, which I unfortunatley didn't have the time to take on.
0 Replies