Scalia, Feedom of Speech, and the Lost America

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Scalia is a supreme court justice. I am pretty sure he knows the law a bit better than ANYONE on this board.

I would hope he does. That is why his actions are so bothersome.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:07 pm
His actions are bothersome only because we don't know the full story. You only know what you choose to read and what the media feels you should know.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:08 pm
Hobitbob, why did you leave out the last paragraph on my post? That answers your question.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:09 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Hobitbob, why did you leave out the last paragraph on my post? That answers your question.

Beacasue I was addressing the first part, and not the last.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:10 pm
And because he is just looking for an argument.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:11 pm
McGentrix wrote:
And because he is just looking for an argument.

Laughing pot, kettle, black! Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:32 pm
Should Scalia recuse himself from the hearings? I'm thinking about that. I trust him to be a man of integrity and if he does not, his decision will be based on the letter, intent, and spirit of the law. Scalia has been 100% consistent on that and, I can't remember the circumstances, I believe he has recused himself on other decisions in which he had a conflict of interest.

If the hearing was about Cheney and any wrongdoing on his part, then yes, Scalia should recuse himself purely based on the hunting trip.
The hearing is, rather, whether the White House can use executive privilege to keep the member list private. As this decision will be based on precedent and case law, I really don't see a conflict of interest here.
0 Replies