The Shipping News~~Oriental, NC.

Sofia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:02 pm
My husband and I are narrowing our choices for our Mid-Life Relocation. We've settled on coastal NC, and are now gathering bits of information on the towns.

He had enjoyed a glorious summer in Oriental during college, and has always waxed so nostalgic, we added it to our list.

It is a community of 875, they have no stop lights, but everybody has a boat of some sort. Reminded me of the movie, The Shipping News.

I've so enjoyed reading the charming articles about passers-thru, down on their luck or just stories of interest--I wanted to link them here.

Hope someone else can get a good laugh or just a good little read. At the bottom of the stories, there are links to more.

http://www.towndock.net/shipping/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,266 • Replies: 12
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:15 pm
we have a similar town , Eastport Maine. We figure we'll take off and head south in the winter. They too have a biweekly paper that prints recipes on the front page. Nothing amusing though, at least not written so purposely.
We live in a small town already so we wont be shocked by the lack of a HUUUge mall or traffic news. In fact, in Eastport, all the radio is from Canada, which is , by far the best radio for adults . They mix information, humor, culture in a random array so you never know whats you can miss. Incredibly clever programming. Although, many times , we are given a half hour of ground fish reports and New Brunswickers calling in about the hopeless states of their fog gardens.
Come to think of it Eastport is almost exactly like the Shipping News.
I liked the link , Ill see if our paper, The Quoddy Tides, has a wb site, Ill bet not though
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:21 pm
Thanks! This researching--even though I've only started--is so satisfying.

The Quoddy Tides... Lovely.
Would appreciate alink if you have one.

Do you sail?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:23 pm
That was great Sofia. I downloaded it and sent it to a "RAGBAG" sailor friend who wants to sail to Europe this year on a not much bigger sail boat than Phils .
Thats what radar does , if your down in the galley, you can set it on audible so you dont get T boned.

hA, found a link
http://www.quoddytides.com
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:28 pm
You'd think people wouldn't crash into your middle.
Poor Phil.

He alluded to the fact that he was most upset, because it sent him falling into the heating element--and he'd been cooking in the buff.

<The five jokes that came into my head were all predictable>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:31 pm
I believe that most sailboats use alky stoves too,

heres the link just in case you missed it above
http://www.quoddytides.com
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:34 pm
Thanks!!!

I've found a new hobby.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 04:49 am
I love Quoddy Tides' special claim to fame - the Most Easterly Newspaper published in the US. My! Sofia, can you find the most westerly,northerly, southerly? South-westerly etc etc.! Your hobby is a great one.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:22 am
Sofia, no I dont sail , I went sailing a few times with friends and once (just once) a bunch of us crewed for a guy who wanted to race from Annapolis to Block Island. We almost threw this guy overboard cause he turned into this real creep capt Queeg. We have an old Beal Island(me and the boatyard over about 10 years) rebuilt and restored and redesigned . Last year we did over 1000 naut miloes i a little over 3weeks of just diddling around and putting in local docks. It was fun and a great memory.

It would be neat to find and post links from these local newspapers along various coastal towns in the US. The Quoddy Tides is THE MOST EASTERLY NEWSPAPER. I wonder about the other compass ponts, and other small villages. The town of Orient has something we still dont have at Eastport. They have a real coffeee shop. We have an Irving gas station, an old drug store on the waterfront, and a Mustard Factory with a little restaurant and coffee service .
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 01:54 pm
I can't believe your description of Eastport!! Maybe hub and I will open a coffee house on the dock....

Queeg. <Still catching my breath from laughing>

Where ever we end up, we will be sailing. My hub gets wistful, retelling his glory days on the water--we never sailed together in the 24 years we've been married. Looking forward...

A mustard factory... <smiling> Sounds enchanting.

edit-- Thanks, Clary. I will be bringing more back as I find them.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:35 pm
For any other pirates looking at forty...

Just a nice, serene-type read.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:49 pm
sofia, found another newspaper for your collection. Its the keywest newsANOTHER COASTAL NEWSPAPER
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:02 pm
Thank you so much!
I've been looking a bit, but no more such luck for me.
0 Replies