Need Creative Ideas for Volunteer Group! Got any?

suzy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 11:52 am
Hi all,
In an effort to increase visibility of my agency in the community, I am organizing a volunteer group to work 1-2 times a month doing something for the community. I've been in touch with the DPW and they have some great ideas, but the more the merrier. Hopefully, we will be a group of a dozen or so. Outdoors is preferable.
Also, can anyone direct me in how to obtain sponsorship? Do I just call around to area businesses and ask? I'm thinking T-shirts or caps that will identify the group, but my agency can't afford the expenditure. This will be an annual spring-summer project.
Thanks for any ideas you can contribute!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 855 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:24 pm
If your group is handy with their hands, have any home maintenance or construction skills, and enjoy working outdoors, I recommend Habitat for Humanity. This is one of the most heart warming and rewarding charitable efforts there is.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:29 pm
If you want to do something that is your own group's project, here is one that gets a good write-up in the newspaper every year and is a true kindness for senior homeowners.

Quote:
Paint Tacoma-Pierce Beautiful (Deadline April 1st Each Year) (253) 383-3056

Low income homeowner ($1,207/mo for 1) senior (age 62+) or disabled. Must occupy home. Homes are painted, some minor exterior repair & brush trimming included. Deadline is April 1. Contact Associated Ministries, in Feb. or March, 383-3056 for more information and application
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:49 pm
Have you given any thought to the Adopt-a-Highway program? In many cases, coporate sponsorship is available for Adopt-a-Highway groups, defraying or even fully assuming the costs of safety vests, trash bags, and such. Your organization would get highly visible signs along your chosen section of road, too. I'd look into that. Besides, its a great program. Contact your state's Highway Department for more info.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:59 pm
These are great ideas!

Here's one that can spread positive word of mouth with minimal expense.

Do light yard, around the house chores for the elderly. Clean a gutter, flush a downspout, rake a yard, clean out a garage. They will spread your name like wildfire to family, friends, churches (which harbor people)... These old folks are so forgotten. The job would be so useful, and the PR should be great.

In addition to the word of mouth, and possibly leaving a 'business card', you could erect a little sign to plant in the front yard as you work--

Yard Improvements
courtesy of
Our Group
Phone number.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:07 pm
Thanks guys. I do want it to be a project of our own, much as I love Habitat for Humanity, et. al.
The people who will be volunteering with me are people who receive supportive services from the agency, and they have very few real skills. We hope to change that in the course of this project.
So far, all I'm coming up with are town-beautification projects, which is good, but I like variety. I imagine we'll also be lending a hand during community-wide events, collecting tickets and so forth during town fair, etc.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it! Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:17 pm
No time just now but I recently went through a similar experience and I'll be back later to share tips!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:11 pm
How about a blood drive Suzy? Set it up in a church or community center--these will almost always cooperate. The local blood bank or Red Cross will furnish the nurses to draw the blood - your group gets out the flyers and drags people screaming and kicking in to be siphoned Smile

The only skills you need are the ability to walk the neighborhood and put door hangers (flyers) on the doors and notices under windshields. It helps to get the hosting organization to buck up their members too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 12:49 pm
I head up a volunteer group in the Boston area so I may be able to give you some suggestions. If you want outdoor work and like animals, contact ZooNewEngland. They have projects for groups to help plant, and do garden work at the Franklin Park Zoo. We had a great time working with them. With many cut backs the Zoo was hit hard. I would look up many other types of organizations and local charities- the United Way would be able to direct you. Boston Senior Home Care has many elderly home care apartments for those on a fixed budget. They organize lots of volunteer projects including yard work around the apartment buildings. Many of these organizations will put you in their newsletter stating your organizations help.

As far as any additional sponsorships, you could contact any vendors that you work with - that is the best resource. It is much easier to get additional sponsorship from other companies where you already have a relationship with. Another thought, try contacting a T shirt place and see if by including their name on the Tshirt, they will give you a discount. Also, if you need to purchase any supplies, always tell the vendor what charity project you are working on, typically they will give you a discount and may even give you some stuff for free.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:42 pm
Great ideas, you two! Thanks. Very Happy
0 Replies