GOP War on the Poor

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 02:41 pm
@Baldimo,
By the way, you can keep that "you guys" **** to yourself. I am not responsible for any of the campaign rhetoric by either party.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 02:46 pm
@Setanta,
Wrong Set, it was you who brought up the corporate tax:

Quote:
ME:
What a joke. War on the poor. You mean being concerned with the record # of people on govt assistance is a war on poor people? The fraud that takes place in govt assistance programs is a concern. If the GOP doesn't talk about it, you guys on the left would only add more assistance programs increasing the amount of money taken from those who work to assist those who don't. Sure not everyone who is poor is gaming the system but the Dems don't do anything to prevent the fraud.

Maybe you can explain to me or others who consider themselves to the right, how my voting for people who are on the right is against my best interests?

You:
Funny that you're not concerned about the record levels of corporate subsidies by the Federal government, apart from defense contracting. Social welfare is a drop in the bucket compared to the government giving the store away to corporate fat cats year after year. A hell of a lot more money comes out of your pocket for corporate subsidy schemes than ever goes to social assistance programs. That is against your better interests.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 02:55 pm
@Setanta,
You also don't shy away from the rhetoric used by the Dems.

I'm no different sometimes when it comes to those on the right. I'm guilty at times.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 03:01 pm
@Baldimo,
No, you're absolutely wrong. I mentioned subsidies to corporations--i didn't mention corporate taxes at all. You jumped in to call for a cut in corporate taxes--you introduced the subject.

Since when is posting information available from a reliable source a case of repeating anyone's rhetoric?
Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 03:04 pm
@Setanta,
Who brought up corporations? I only mentioned them because you did.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 03:05 pm
@Baldimo,
corporations are people too, you know...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 03:51 pm
@Baldimo,
You mentioned corporate taxes, i didn't. Man . . . little Miss Can't Be Wrong.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 04:01 pm
@Setanta,
Whatever Set. I mentioned taxes, you mentioned corporations.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:01 am
@Advocate,
Except you all forget that the Democrats (along with Republicans) voted TWICE to give the biggest tax break in history to the richest of the rich. So Krugman seems to always forget that the Democrats too voted to raise the Estate Tax exemption to 10M and lower the rate to 40%.

Let's keep the concentration of power in the hands of the few, regardless of "party" affiliation.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 07:23 pm
@Advocate,
War On The Poor
War On Women
War On Gays Lesbians & Transsexuals
War On People of Color

Crocks one and all.
panzade

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:12 pm
One million vulnerable vets and the families of 5,000 active service men are affected by cuts in the Food Stamp program while Congress dithers on with the Farm bill.

https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/988754_757359377624045_2048519879_n.jpg
panzade

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You forgot about the war on the married women and the elderly.
In Texas:
Quote:
Republicans, in their zeal to disenfranchise brown and young people, have created a voter ID law that solves a non-existent problem and subsequently disenfranchises two of their most important base groups.

Baldimo

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:09 pm
@panzade,
I still do not understand how people in the military are on food stamps. Having been in the service and knowing how military pay works and what they are paid, it baffles me. How many active military members are there and 5000 of them are on food stamps? What are those 5000 people doing wrong?
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 05:11 am
@Baldimo,
Why do you assume they are doing anything wrong? If their pay is insufficient to support their wives (or husbands) and their children, then they may need food stamps to assure that everyone gets enough to eat, and decent food to eat--just like millions of other Americans who work or who have an income, such as disability insurance or social security.

Do you not see the irony of asking in a thread about a war on the poor what people in military are doing wrong if they need food stamps?
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 05:18 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
War On The Poor
War On Women
War On Gays Lesbians & Transsexuals
War On People of Color

Crocks one and all.

WAR ON CROCKS.
I wear Doc Martens and shave my head . Id fit in with the GOP
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:07 pm
@panzade,
I'm sorry, who are you quoting?
panzade

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Not that it really matters...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/11/05/1253293/-Republicans-even-stupider-than-imagined-disenfranchise-own-voters#
Kolyo

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 10:04 pm
@panzade,
Well it may not matter to them, because they probably plan to profile people and leave those two groups -- married women and the elderly -- alone.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 12:47 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Why do you assume they are doing anything wrong?

Once again I know what the military gets paid. Besides base pay, they also get housing assistance and food assistance. If they choose to live in base housing, then they are living rent free.

Here are factors in military pay:
The Annual Pay Raise
Longevity raises virtually every 2 years (based on the number of years in service)
Promotions
Number of Drill Periods (Guard and Reserve Only)
Basic Allowance for Housing Increases: BAH (based on location).
Basic Allowance for Subsistence Increases: BAS
2012 Cost of Living Allowance Increases: COLA (based on location).
And Special Pay(s) (based on occupations: Language Skills, Combat, Flight, Hazardous Duty).

An E3 with 2 years of service makes a base pay of 1806.18 per month. Not a lot of money, but the average age of an E3 is about 18-21 years of age. If this same person was working a 40 hour min wage job, they would be making about $1200 a month. Base pay alone puts them well above the min wage average. Now add in the rest of the pay that the military gets and you begin to wonder why they need food stamps. BAH $1389 a month. BAS $352.27 a month. Total = $3547 a month.

An E5 with 6 years of service makes $2555 a month in base pay. Being an NCO they get more in extra pay then an E3. BAH for Denver is $1551 a month. BAS $352.27 a month. Total: $4458 a month.

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/military-pay-overview.html?ESRC=pay.fl
Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 01:23 pm
@Baldimo,
I spent three years in the army, and i know what people get paid to, as a proportion of the cost of living. In 1970, low ranking soldiers with more than two children had to rely on someone's assistance to feed their families--and that included food stamps. Many GIs are overseas, or cannot afford to move their families to new posts in the ZI, so they are not able to take advantage of on-post housing and the low prices of the commissary.

I am amazed that you think anyone with a minimum wage job can feed a family of four, or more particularly, more than four, without outside assistance. Again, of course, you are ignoring that retired people, people on disability and families of the working poor--which includes GIs--rely on foods stamps. I don't think you have a realistic appreciation of how other people live.