Does "in most instances they had done nothing to bring on themselves" mean ...?

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 07:37 pm
Does "in most instances they had done nothing to bring on themselves" mean "in most instances they had done nothing to bring such strong faith on themselves" mean

Context:

Context:
What struck me profoundly about my bedside conversations with these good North Carolina people was the spiritual aspect of what many of them were going through. I witnessed numerous cases of individuals whose faith provided them with a strong reassurance of ultimate peace, be it in this world or the next, despite terrible suffering that in most instances they had done nothing to bring on themselves. If faith was a psychological crutch, I concluded, it must be a very powerful one. If it was nothing more than a veneer of cultural tradition, why were these people not shaking their fists at God and demanding that their friends and family stop all this talk about a loving and benevolent supernatural power?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 574 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 07:50 pm
@oristarA,
No, it means they had done nothing to bring on whatever afflictions they happen to be suffering.
oristarA

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 08:12 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

No, it means they had done nothing to bring on whatever afflictions they happen to be suffering.

Oh, they had done nothing to bring the terrible suffering on themselves?
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 09:23 pm
@oristarA,
Yes
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 08:51 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
despite terrible suffering that in most instances they had done nothing to bring on themselves.

They had done nothing, in most instances, to bring terrible suffering on themselves.
McTag

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 08:53 am
@McTag,

If I'd read the whole thread first, I wouldn't have needed to write that.

Very Happy
0 Replies