Why BBB thinks Bush is the wrong president at the wrong time

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:26 pm
I been thinking about the Bush presidency and the time in which it occurred for a long time. I think Bush is the wrong president in the wrong time. I will try to explain my thinking. But keep in mind that I'm not a scholar and lack the professional experience to deem myself an expert in these matters. But my 74 years of experience have led me to believe in my instinctive and self-educated observations of people and events. So be patient with my attempt to analyse the current world situation.

George W. Bush had no foreign policy experience or knowledge when he decided to run for the presidency. He met Condi Rice, a recognized cold war expert in Soviet affairs and history. Dr. Rice mentored and educated George Bush to give him at least a veneer of foreign policy expertise---just barely. Her task was difficult because Bush is not a reader and is notorious for his lack of curiosity about world events and other things.

Bush surrounded himself with cold warriors in key posts in his government. These cold warriors are steeped in the geopolitics of that era. They appear to have little knowledge of the history and culture of the Islamic nations around the world, except as it impinged on the cold war struggle primarily to defeat the Soviet Union, to protect US access to oil, and the support and protection of Isreal.

The Bush cold-warriors are still fighting the wars and geopolitics of the last century. They are not educated and motivated to fight the wars of the new century against terrorism. That ignorance has led the Bush administration to make a terrible mistake with its attack of Iraq.

I can think of many reasons why the Iraq war is unjustified and unwise. But none is more important than it played directly into Osama bin Laden's trap for the United States.

Richard Clarke's book, Against All Enemies, on page 136 states exactly what I mean. When bin Laden declared war on the United States before Bush took office, he was very clear in stating his goals. "The ingredients al Qaeda dreamed of for propagating its movement were a Christian government attacking a weaker Muslim region, allowing the new terrorist group to rally jihadists from many countries to come to the aid of the religious brethren. After the success of the jihad, the Muslim region would become a radical Islamic state, a breeding ground for more terrorists, a part of the eventual network of Islamic states that would make up the great new Caliphate, or Muslim empire."

Unfortunately, the Bush cold warriors lacked the imagination to realize al Qaeda was able accomplish its devastating attacks around the world because it was not a State. That was bin Laden's winning hand. The arrogance of the cold warriors, convinced that their mighty military and weapons of mass destruction could defeat any foe. They appear to have dismissed Viet Nam as a political failure, not a military one, so one should not be surprised that they would make the same mistake again.

They also lack the understanding of the Islamic world, its life-dominating religion and its nationalistic history. Al Qaeda represents the attempt by militant Islamists to restore the Arab empire to encompass as much of the world as possible. Mosque leaders pronounce the goal of converting non-muslims to the faith all over the world, for example, in countries such as England.

Bush and his cold warriors have failed to recognized that this conflict is, or is leading to a clash of world religions. Terrorism is only one tactic used to further this goal. By attacking Iraq, Bush and the cold warriors have forced the United States and its allies into the first battle of that war.

President Clinton was not a cold warrior and he recognized the changed world and the danger from al Qaeda. Unfortunately, his term of office elapsed before he could effectively counter the growth of al Qaeda.

Then George W. Bush was elected and the cold warriors were in power. It was the wrong president at the wrong time. In general, the Bush administration distrusted anything invented by the Clinton administration and anything of a multilateral nature. The newly elected Bush's focus in early 2001 was on confronting China, withdrawing from various multilateral obligations, and spending much more money on an antimissile defense system. Typical cold warrior thinking. They were not looking into al Qaeda's network because of their arrogance and their lack of imagination to understand the threat.

And, its only begun.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 823 • Replies: 19
No top replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:16 pm
Correct..so far
The situation goes deeper than has been outlined in my view.
Most of Bushco are arrogant people that feel that their world view is 100% correct. They feel that "democracy" can be imposed via force and money; the stick and the carrot. Of course, they don't actually believe in "Democracy" but in "Plutocracy" and zero Social Programs for the peasants.

GW Bush is the wrong President for any time. He is dishonest and arrogant. His view of the word is simplistic and child like.He has no idea how "average" people exist or cares. He has no real concept of other peoples of the planet either. He once remarked in Brazil something like "Oh, you have black people here too?" He is ignorant and shallow. If a Pres. visits another country wouldn't it be just a bit wise to study that country at least somewhat?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:26 pm
BBB
I like your assessment. I think Bush's friends expected a domino effect when they invaded Iraq: the middle east become democratic. You have to be pretty short sighted to fail to expect muslims to take offense at the unprovoked attack and the arrogant handling of the situation once the nation became occupied.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:31 pm
Edgar
Thanks, Edgar. I was almost embarrassed to post my thoughts because they are so amateur.

BBB
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:31 pm
I found some interesting observations in an old Tim Robbins speech. Despite the fact that he's a Liberal, and I know the righties here will use that to discredit anything he says, his points are valid and worthy of pondering. (This speech was Post-9/11, when everybody was feeling the need to do some good in the world, and how Bush squashed that).
Here are some of his comments:

"I imagined leadership that would take this incredible energy, this generosity of spirit, and create a new unity in America born out of the chaos and tragedy of 9-11. A new unity that would send a message to terrorists everywhere: If you attack us we will become stronger, cleaner, better educated, more unified. You will strengthen our commitment to justice and democracy by your inhumane attacks on us. Like a phoenix out of the fire we will be re-born.
And then came the speech. "You are either with us or against us" And the bombing began. And the old paradigm was restored as our leader encouraged us to show our patriotism by shopping and by volunteering to join groups that would turn in their neighbor for any suspicious behavior."
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:38 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I think Bush's friends expected a domino effect when they invaded Iraq

That's exactly what it is. The Bush Administration is from the old school way of thinking. To fight Communism and spread Democracy throughout the world.

The fact is, these people don't want Democracy.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:48 pm
Democracy?
I wonder how many Iraqis know what Democracy actually is?
Many Americans don't even know what it is.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:51 pm
Re: Democracy?
pistoff wrote:
I wonder how many Iraqis know what Democracy actually is? Many Americans don't even know what it is.

Most Americans are dumb enough to actually believe that we live in a Democracy.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:49 pm
Most Iraqis do want democracy.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:59 pm
How do you really know that? Have you been to Iraq and asked the average person on the street? Most of the news that we get from Iraq is censored by the feds and the military, so of course we are going to hear that Iraqis want Democracy and are happy that Saddam is gone. It's funny though, when we see pictures of rebellion against Saddam it's always the same picture run over and over again. This is supposed to mean that the whole country is pro-American...

We only see what's good for the war effort. iraqis don't even know what Democracy is.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:04 pm
roverroad wrote:
How do you really know that? Have you been to Iraq and asked the average person on the street? Most of the news that we get from Iraq is censored by the feds and the military, so of course we are going to hear that Iraqis want Democracy and are happy that Saddam is gone. It's funny though, when we see pictures of rebellion against Saddam it's always the same picture run over and over again. This is supposed to mean that the whole country is pro-American...

We only see what's good for the war effort. iraqis don't even know what Democracy is.

My previous post was a link to a survey of Iraqis. They do know what democracy is and most of them are eager to get it.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:11 pm
Poor George.

Egged on by his mommy to avenge Saddam who is credited by many on the far right for costing Poppy reelection because Poppy refused to take him out during the first Iraq war.

He's surrounded by aging, ancient cold warriors who still think the USSR is alive and well, and as any cold warrior worth his weight know, the USA must have an enemy. Realism is deeply ingrained in these hawks.

Sadly, the world must suffer as the sun finally sets on this faux administration.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:16 pm
Tarantulas, But that survey comes from censored news. Do you think they would release a poll that says iraqis long for Return of Saddam? That would never make it past the sensors.

You can't trust any news that comes out of Iraq while we're at war there. Even the soldiers don't even know what's going on. They only know what they are told.

I'm sure the average iraqi doesn't really want Saddam back. But I don't believe for a second that they know what Democracy is.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:15 pm
Excellent analysis BBB, Im impressed as to how you summarized the key issues that distinguish these guys. They are so last century and still fighting the Soviets.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:22 pm
Farmerman
Thanks, Farmerman. At least you and Edgar understood what I was trying to say and responded to the theme of my post, which I appreciate.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:28 am
BBB
I posted my theory of why Bush is the wrong president for the wrong time because I wanted to respond to those pro-Bush conservatives who accuse me of Bush-bashing. It is my attempt to explain in a thoughtful way the reasons why I disapprove of Bush and his administration.

I would also disapprove of a Democrat administration that operated in the same out of date cold war geopolitical ideas I mention in my original post. My point being that this is a new world, a new type of conflict, a new world-wide danger in which old ideologies won't work.

I encourage and welcome responses from others, hopefully equally thoughtful, with their questions about or agreement or disagreement with my THEORY and their own ideas about Bush---not screeds or just Bush bashing for the sake of bashing. I would like to engage in substantial, not shallow discussion of this important issue.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:31 am
I don't pretend to know exactly what the Iraqis as a whole want for themselves. The one thing I am certain of is they prefer to set their own destiny without some foreign invader making all the important decisions at the point of a gun.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 05:25 pm
8/6 DPB
Read the text of the August 6, 2001 Daily Presidential Briefing:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22576&highlight=
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:34 pm
Thanks BBB this is great. And about the domino theory I think it might apply but not as the Bushes would have wanted it. The other way around the tribes of Arabia will stick together and defend what the President is calling insurgents and toss the US out.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:00 am
BBB
The real story of Iraq: Bad Days Ahead

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23221&highlight=&sid=13c0ca4325b946fe317b9bc6e3947c16
0 Replies