"Pacifism always fails." True or False?

pistoff

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:59 pm
One of the posters here stated that.

I challenge that statement.

[ SEPTEMBER 11 ]
Pacifism: Now More than Ever

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philip J. Bentley

Quote:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=21&sid=f0dc62a9723e1d7475ba13b327e3b568
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 552 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 06:20 pm
Agreed. Even McNamara says somewhere in the Fog of War movie that not every conflict can be solved by the use of force. And later, in interviews he acknowledged that had he known about international humanitarian law, or had the International Criminal Court existed, Vietnam war would have been conducted differently... Then again, who knows, he is a skilled rhetorician.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:00 pm
Real
I witnessed an interview with McNamera with Charlie Rose. I feel that McNamera is sincere in his views. At 86 he has reflected upon his involvement in killing and deeply feels that other solutions must be tried before a nation goes about the business of killing.

I am trying real hard to imagine how the Iraq situation could have been dealt with other than the killing. Around $200 Billion has been spent and more will be spent. Could that amount of money been used to rid Iraq of Saddam and his Regime?

Now that the US is deeply mired in Iraq the questions must be about the solutions to the problems there. Debating the before is interesting but does not help with the present dilemma.

Further escalating violence seems to be the answer of many but I feel that this is not the correct way.

To be cont.
0 Replies