Miller

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 01:57 am
@InsuranceLady,
If there is to be a higher premium for smokers, then all smokers, when asked by their physicians , should deny that they smoke. Ditto for drinking and also for driving.

Aren't those individuals over 65 years of age charged a higher premium for health insurance?
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 05:51 am
@Miller,
I noticed yesterday - as I am reviewing my benefits with open enrollment now that this smokers fee is actually that - there is a selection to choose that you are a smoker and they add a premium. Not sure if this due to insurance or the company - I know when I worked at my previous employer, it was the opposite. You choose you were a non-smoker and they took a certain amount off per month.

Same thing in reality - just the second seems "nicer".
Miller

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:12 am
@Linkat,
If you claim to be a "non-smoker", the insurance company may want proof via a blood test.
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:51 am
@Miller,
Funny - I remember my mom telling - way back when she and my dad were smokers. They had the life insurance agent over when they were obtaining life insurance - ash trays all over the place, smoke lingering in the house, cigaratte packs out - it was obvious they were smokers. When the agent asked if they smoked, they answered honestly - yes. He said they should say no as it would cost them less.

There quite possibly is a test, but I've never had to take - I've never smoked either so I wouldn't have an issue with it.
Miller

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 11:04 am
@Linkat,
There is a blood test being used, that detects chemical- by -products from the smoking.
InsuranceLady

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 11:18 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

If there is to be a higher premium for smokers, then all smokers, when asked by their physicians , should deny that they smoke. Ditto for drinking and also for driving.

Aren't those individuals over 65 years of age charged a higher premium for health insurance?
You could do that, but lying on your insurance form is still a way you can get dropped from coverage. It will be a black mark on your insurance record and not just for health coverage.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 11:25 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

There is a blood test being used, that detects chemical- by -products from the smoking.

there is such a test for drinking now too. how long will it be before they stop asking and instead make us do the tests?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 11:26 am
@InsuranceLady,
InsuranceLady wrote:

Miller wrote:

You could do that, but lying on your insurance form is still a way you can get dropped from coverage. It will be a black mark on your insurance record and not just for health coverage.

You could also come up with a false + result, and then what? You know the problem with "pot"don't you when it comes to false positives?
InsuranceLady

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 10:45 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

InsuranceLady wrote:

Miller wrote:

You could also come up with a false + result, and then what? You know the problem with "pot"don't you when it comes to false positives?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking about drug tests now? That is not the same as using tobacco.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 01:15 pm
Since other drugs are mentioned, does everyone in the insurance need to make a declaration regarding illegal drugs, or does the provision only apply to those that are legal?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:18 pm
Not sure how true this is - but I just heard on the radio this morning that one company is going to start charging more in insurance premiums for obese individuals. I haven't had a chance to search and see about it as I;ve been busy, but found it interesting as it has been mentioned here.
roger

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 04:06 pm
@Linkat,
Ultimately, the only people that can afford insurance will be the young, fit, and genetically clean. In other words, the people who don't need it, and they will somehow end up paying more to make up for the others that slip into the system. This is ingenious. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 01:44 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Not sure how true this is - but I just heard on the radio this morning that one company is going to start charging more in insurance premiums for obese individuals. I haven't had a chance to search and see about it as I;ve been busy, but found it interesting as it has been mentioned here.

You wil lsee in the very near future, that insurance premiums will be based on the results of an individuals DNA analysis. The more "hot spots" ( bad genes ) one has in their DNA the greater will be their premium. But remember, all individuals, will be able to buy insurance, but the cost to the individual will of courase vary, depending upon the DNA makeup of the individuals.

Being fat isn't going to cause your premium to go up as much as several copies of resessive genes.
Miller

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 01:49 pm
@Miller,
Also remember that certain races have a greater probability of developing certain diseases. Hispanics tend to have high rates of diabetes, and Afro-Americans tend to have higher rates of hypertension, and certains other diseases, such as cardiovascular.

And so on...
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 02:01 pm
@Miller,
and women use more healthcare than do men, but Obamacare mandates that men subsidize women by outlawing the gender rating. the choices made on who pays are political.
Miller

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 02:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

and women use more healthcare than do men...

Yes, women may tend to use preventive health services more often than do men, and that's why men develope more deadly diseases than do women and that's also why, men in general have shorter lives.

Women, in my judgement however, don't tend to follow a physician's orders as well or as often as do most men.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 03:06 pm
@Miller,
at the end of the day women consume more healthcare than do men. it is heresy to argue against men subsidizing that consumption, but here I am questioning this portion of ObamaCare anyways.
Miller

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 01:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
"women consume more healthcare "

Meaning what?
0 Replies