ABC’s Condoleezza Rice Coverage Violated Journalistic Ethics

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 02:21 pm
ABC's Coverage of Condoleezza Rice's Testimony Violated Journalistic Ethics

Posted by David Katz

Friday, April 09, 2004

While flipping through the television coverage of National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice's testimony before the 9/11 Commission, I stopped at ABC. More clearly, I was floored by ABC.

Upon conclusion of Dr. Rice's testimony, Peter Jennings introduced ABC's consultant on national security issues to review, confirm, or rebut her testimony.

In an episode of naked bias, ABC's consultant was Richard Clarke. The same Richard Clarke whose prior testimony in front of the same commission and whose currently on-sale book places him squarely as part of the story. By way of an introduction, Mr. Jennings stated that ABC had retained Richard Clarke months prior to his testimony.

There was this odd moment when Peter Jennings introduced Clarke. Jennings seemed to look slightly down with a queasy expression like last night's Mexican wasn't sitting well. Richard Clarke's expression was stranger still. It was somewhere between smug self-satisfaction and the veiled triumph of a teacher's pet who successfully fingered a rival to the principal.

Regardless of the twilight zone natureof the exchange, ABC crossed the line by putting on a person involved in the story as a commentator. The Society of Professional Journalist's Code of Ethics gives multiple reasons why this violates journalistic ethics:

Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived. - Mr. Clarke is conflicted by his prior testimony before the 911 commission alleging that Dr. Rice and the Bush administration were disinterested in, if not incompetent, concerning terrorism.

Remain free of associations and activities that may compromise integrity or damage credibility. - Mr. Clarke was a Democratic appointee of the Clinton administration who was held over but later demoted by the Bush administration. Richard Clarke is clearly associated with one view on the story. By using him as ABC's consultant, that network is associating itself with that one view.

Distinguish between advocacy and news reporting. Analysis and commentary should be labeled and not misrepresent fact or context. While Richard Clarke was clearly labeled as a commentator, his immediate appearance after Dr. Rice's testimony blurred the line between reporting and advocacy.

Test the accuracy of information from all sources and exercise care to avoid inadvertent error. Deliberate distortion is never permissible. All the facts are not in, nor have those facts available been verified or validated. As part of an unfolding story, information supplied by Mr. Clarke cannot be tested for accuracy. His use as a network commentator, verifying or rebutting information supplied by others, deliberately creates a situation where his opinion is rendered as fact.

The bottom line is ABC's coverage of Condoleezza Rice's testimony was set-up to arrive at a foregone conclusion before she uttered a single word. No wonder people are switching to cable.

Chron Watch
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 860 • Replies: 16
No top replies

au1929

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 04:24 pm
Tarantulas
Quote:
Mr. Clarke was a Democratic appointee of the Clinton administration who was held over but later demoted by the Bush administration.

Mr. Clarke was a holdover from several past administrations both republican and democratic.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:01 pm
Geez, I can just hear the hue and cry and screams of FOUL!!!! if ABC had put Condoleeza on to comment on Clarke's testimony.

But remember that when the GOP took control of both houses of Congress in 2002, Peter Jennings is the one who described this as a national 'temper tantrum' and refused to characterize it as a national choice. He looked like he was about to cry as the election returns came in. He has always been so pro-left, there is no way to ever be sure he is giving the whole story on anything. But to have Richard Clarke commenting on Condi's testimony is over the line even for ABC and Jennings.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:17 pm
While I don't disagree with what you say about Jennings, it is probably the network news director who hired Clarke and who made the decision to have him comment on Rice's testimony.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:18 pm
"Mr. Clarke was a Democratic appointee of the Clinton administration who was held over but later demoted by the Bush administration."

Richard A. Clarke also worked for Saint Reagan and Poppy Bush before working for Clinton.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:26 pm
And he voted for Gore.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:29 pm
Brand X
From what I have read Clarke is a republican and voted for Bush.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:36 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brand X
From what I have read Clarke is a republican and voted for Bush.

He said in an interview, I can't remember with whom or what channel news, that he voted for Gore.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:04 pm
I read that too. And all his political contributions went to Democrats, although I believe the article said it went to a couple of former co-workers who were running for office.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:27 pm
They must be competing with Fox News for that Fair and Balanced thing, hmm?
Too bad. That's just stooping to new lows.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:36 pm
Tarantulas, you and everyone who only hears the good things about the Bush administration and ignores the bad are the only ones who have a problem with it. I for one don't have a problem with it.

This so called journalist code of ethics is secondary to the freedom of the press, which the Bush Administration loves to trample on every day.

Flip through enough news channels and read enough newspapers and you'll get enough angles on the story to get the real story.

I for one don't watch CBS news or Fox News. I've realised both have lost their credibility with their one sided perspectives, left or rignt.

I get most of my news from Able2know articles, cnn and BBC.CO.UK.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:19 pm
I dislike unethical journalism no matter which side it favors.

Please substantiate your accusation about the Bush administration trampling freedom of the press.

Liberals love to hate Fox News. I believe that's because they don't understand it. If you watch it for a while, you can see that they have straight news stories and they have commentary, and they are quite obviously two different things. They don't spin their news like the Big Three networks do. They definitely DO spin their commentary toward the conservative side.

Able2know has a lot of spin on their news too, in case you hadn't noticed. It's not posted by actual journalists. Wink
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:35 pm
Tarantulas wrote:

Liberals love to hate Fox News. I believe that's because they don't understand it. If you watch it for a while, you can see that they have straight news stories and they have commentary, and they are quite obviously two different things. They don't spin their news like the Big Three networks do. They definitely DO spin their commentary toward the conservative side.Wink

Hah! You really believe that Fox factually reports the real news, and only inserts spin in it's commentary, while all the major networks spin the real news? If that were the case, I'd think we'd hear a bit more about all the wrong-doings of this administration, yet we don't. We have to rely on alternative news and media for that!
Boy, you're in rare form tonight, you should be doing stand-up! Laughing
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:42 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
Please substantiate your accusation about the Bush administration trampling freedom of the press.

I can't do that. I don't have proof but I've heard stories where CNN was asked to pull stories.

I'll say this though, the Bush Administration could put an end to the FCC's current rampage on so called Shock Jocks. It's one thing for a radio program to fail because of ratings, it's another to be forced off by the government, and I blame Bush and his politics for that.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:46 pm
suzy wrote:
Tarantulas wrote:

Liberals love to hate Fox News. I believe that's because they don't understand it. If you watch it for a while, you can see that they have straight news stories and they have commentary, and they are quite obviously two different things. They don't spin their news like the Big Three networks do. They definitely DO spin their commentary toward the conservative side.Wink

Hah! You really believe that Fox factually reports the real news, and only inserts spin in it's commentary, while all the major networks spin the real news? If that were the case, I'd think we'd hear a bit more about all the wrong-doings of this administration, yet we don't. We have to rely on alternative news and media for that!
Boy, you're in rare form tonight, you should be doing stand-up! Laughing

Then please entertain all of us with your view of accuracy in journalism. I haven't had a good laugh yet this evening.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:08 pm
Well you've given me quite a few! Thanks for that! Smile
One example, and I really must retire to my boudoir soon, as I've plans for the morning, is the AWOL story. That was news back before the 2000 elections, yet you didn't see it bandied about on the nightly news until years later, when someone tried to make it an issue. This and many other instances of underreported stories tend to bear out my assertion. if the mainstream news wanted spin, they could spin like a top.
If this example isn't good enough for you, you'll have to get back to me tomorrow, as I'm not about to start researching at this time of night!
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:33 am
I'm still not sure what you're so amused about, but okay, whatever.
0 Replies