Racist property agent made ridicious exceses to refuse letting to an Asian student

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 05:22 am
After the details of letting was agreed, Trustease Property add on additional requirement on me for renting accommodation.

they sent me:
"Prior to anything happening, the existing tenants will have to confirm to us that they are happy to have you as a tenant."

(image of PrtScn)
http://s16.postimg.org/a25yvkyd1/Untitled.png

I called them what that meant, they then gave another excuse saying someone has already paid & occupied the accommodation & refused the letting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 582 • Replies: 5
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 05:44 am
@trusteaseracist,
Well if you think this is a racial matter and you might be right just file a complain with whatever state agency take care of that matter in your state assuming this is in the US.

In fact it might be interesting to call them first and tell them that you are getting the impression that there is a racial element in not renting to you and if you do not get the property you are going to file such a complain and see what kind of reaction you received.

There are normally big big fines and even licences at stake in the US for not renting to someone due to race.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 01:13 pm
If this was a privately run apartment with a board of directors representing the tenants(members), then "approval" of your lease MAY have come before the Board. You could ask them what criteria was used to approve your application, but don't expect an answer.

Anyway, they claim the unit has been leased and can no longer consider your application. You are claiming racism for the denial. Can I ask how they knew you were Asian? How do you know that race was the deciding issue?

BillRM

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 01:26 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
Anyway, they claim the unit has been leased and can no longer consider your application.

If he file a complained as I suggest they will check to see if the unit had been rented or not and no board in the US would have a right to use race as a factor in approving a tenant.

Many states will send in testers to see if only one race seems to get approved as tenants.

In fact he might himself find a white friend or couple to go looking for a unit and see if they are offer this already rented unit or not.

The very threat to file such a complain resulting in an investigation might be enough to shake that "already" rented unit loose.
0 Replies

trusteaseracist

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 07:23 am
@PUNKEY,
i went there & viewed the flat before
0 Replies

trusteaseracist

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 07:31 am
& thx for the advices guys ^^
0 Replies