Would you go to a diet restaurant?

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 05:24 am
No extra charge! You merely ask for "The Critical Eye" team. They come out during your dinner and look you over, make copious notes and then annouce to the surrounding crowd the long list of your wonderous aspects.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 05:29 am
When I go out to eat, I want to eat good food. Not diet food. I can always starve myself at home, so why should I go to a restaurant and pay to be starved?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 04:08 pm
I sorta agree with you Miller, though I voted yes
on the poll.

If you make the effort to go out for a meal....don't you want to be pampered and adventurous and try dishes you never make at home?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:56 am
From The Globe and Mail, Sat. April 10, 04...
Leane Delap.....

The restaurant's name is 350 Fahrenheit....at
Bloor and Brunswick, Toronto....
It serves meals in accordance with the biggest
names in Weight Loss....inlcuding Atkins and The Zone, Eat Right for your Type, and Suzanne Summers.

Meals start at 5:30 for early diners since
healthy lifestyle people eat before 6 pm. Menu
delineates which dishes belong to which diet. It is
detailed with calorie and nutritional data....lots
of soups, omelettes, salads bean stews and ahi
tuna which is priced at $19.95. All meals
created in conjunction with dieticians and nutritionists......Owned by a 27 year old. Wine list
and low carb martini list "in process"...

Also opened are 2 Low Carb grocery stores.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:03 am
Well, good luck to it, I say. Once the fads die, we'll see...
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:20 am
No, some of these are not really fads... for example I had come to the 'Eat Right for your Type' diet all on my own, and was amazed to see it confirmed by the book - so have been looking for eateries which provide simple meat, veg, fruit with no added and hidden carbs, especially sugar. It's difficult in some places to find any meal without fries or bread and the annoying thing is, if they appear in front of me, I tend to eat them; and I just don't need those extra calories! I would like restaurants like that here in Hong Kong! And many other places too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:31 am
The thing is Clary, a good restaurant should be able to accomodate your diet needs, without having to specialize in it. Mind you, that's just the opinion of a professional....I suppose the allure of a diet restaurant is that it's explicit for the public in terms of their offerings.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:33 am
Never, ever. When I eat out I want lots of calories.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:34 am
You're so right, the good restaurant will cater to the customer and not have the customer fit in with the restaurant... I have my local bistro well trained, but many aren't.
I think the allure of a diet restaurant is that no matter what you eat, you feel you're doing the right thing, and that enhances your mood so you enjoy it more!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:46 am
Well, Clary, in the restaurant biz there is a saying: Great service can save bad food, but bad service can't save great food. So, at the end of the day, the customer is always right. Many good restos have gone under due to bad, unacommodating service.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:53 am
I have to agree; my son is restaurant manager in a 4 Seasons hotel and they deserve their good service reputation - when I hear some of his stories about demanding clients -well! But they pay well.
Are you Paul, by the way, of your website?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:23 am
I found a perfect diet restaurant. This new Afghani joint opened around the corner, so we went the very first night. What a fiasco. The bread was burnt, like a sponge dipped in glue, inedible. The meal consisted of a heap of tasteless rice and literally two spoonfulls of defrosted spinach, that I could prepare much better myself for 99 cents. We left hungry and bitter. Highly recommended to all dieters.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:25 am
LOL Very Happy Nothing so good as bad food for keeping you slim, eh? I found living in India was good too, because although some of the food was delicious,it tended to go through too fast to leave any calories behind. I was a luscious 130 lbs there! Mind you, that was 30 years ago...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:11 am
I think this idea will take off.
But I agree with you cav, I've worked with some very fine chefs. None have ever batted an eye over making specified meals, with the exception of ketchup, lol.
0 Replies