Would you go to a diet restaurant?

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:53 pm
A restaurant catering to diets has recently opened in
Toronto.......I believe it caters to the diets of the moment....
South Beach, Atkins, Weight Watchers etc.

Would you go to one? Is that what you
consider dining out to be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,192 • Replies: 33
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:51 pm
Yeah. If'n it's good enough... I'm not a vegatarian, but I've dined in veggie restaurants...
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:56 pm
What kind of diets?
That's a great idea! (I voted "yes" that I would go.) Tell us more about the restaurant. What kind of diets? More than one? Calorie counting and nutrition labels? Many of us are on one diet or another, fully or partially. How about the prices? Quality? Well-prepared and well-presented? Is this a chain or "one of a kind"? [/color] Cool

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:58 pm
I don't think I would go to a restaurant that served only diet entrees. I have always been someone who has to watch everything I eat. I have a propensity to gain weight easily. When I dine out, there are four things I will not order:

No beef; nothing fried and nothing that contains cheese or gravy.

I went out to dinner tonight with my dad to celebrate his birthday. I had a broiled crab cake, baked potato (no butter, light sour cream) and brocolli. Dessert was coffee and I shared piece of strawberry shortcake with my him.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:05 pm
Yes, unless it's a veggie joint.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:07 pm
It's all about the quality and taste of the food. What resto is this?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:14 pm
Sounds like a great idea. I'll bet they do well.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:15 pm
Sounds like a great idea. I'll bet they do well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:35 pm
no
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:35 pm
Also, no.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:36 pm
Edit idiot. Didn't need to say no twice..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 03:04 am
Years ago, there was a diet lunch place in my area. Served the most wonderful salads. They would take a bit of low calorie dressing, and mix it with the greens in a wok. In that way. each piece got a bit of the dressing. Delicious!

I certainly would patronize a diet dinner place, as long as the food was good. There is a lot of temptation in a regular restaurant, that I don't need!
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 03:33 am
Great Idea I believe...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 03:42 am
Okay, here's my idea. We call the place
My Mom and her best Friend Stell's

It looks like a regular restaurant but all the waitresses are trained to look you over and order what you should have.

We would have different Mom days:

"What? You gonna order that? You want you should have a heart attack or something?"

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph, look at the size of yah! Leave a little of that on your plate, could you now?

"We got two cakes and three kinds of pie , but not for ya'll honey, not till we get that dress size into single digits, okay?"

and the reverse therapy method too:

"You look thin. Are you sick? Do you want more sauce? No? No!? I'll just put it here for when you do want it."

The menu would have two pages, or each page would be split, into what you want and what you can have.

Double cheeseburger with Fries......Turkey Patty and Cottage Cheese
Steak and Eggs........Turkey Patty and Cottage Cheese
Bacon, Lettuce Tomato on Rye........Tomato and Cottage Cheese

No one would be served until one of two things happened:
you weight in on the big scale in the lobby (no undressing Please!)
or
the Uncles or the Aunts, a group of gay guys one day and a group of gals with big hair and bigger glasses the next, watch as you walk from one end of the lobby to the other while they make comments on your fashion sense, your weight, your gait.

They tape you and the video is available for sale at the end of your meal.
Every year on your birthday they play last year's tape.

There's more, but I'm tired.

and hungry.

Joe
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:12 am
I like joe's restaurant!

But otherwise, why not? i don't need to diet, but if it's well-presented, it's still food, isn't it?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:24 am
It's the taste that counts for me. Is it good food? Great! I don't care what the label says...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:58 am
This is slightly off-topic, but Joe has inspired me. Smile As people are making less money theses days, and not going out as much, I propose a restaurant called "Scraps" where for half-price, you can eat what the other customers leave behind.

While walking with Mrs. cav through trendy, fashion-conscious Yorkville, I thought of a funny resto idea. The food would pretentiously represent every single fad to come along, which the reviewers would fawn over. The kicker would be, the place wouldn't keep any regular hours at all. One would have to call ahead to see what days in any given week whether the restaurant was serving lunch, dinner, both, or nothing at all. This would build mystique, and keep the place crowded. The restaurant would be dubbed "Quoi?"

I actually ran this by another chef, hoping for a laugh, but he took me seriously, and lectured me on all the reasons why this idea of mine would never last in the long run....well, duh. Laughing Playing along, I said, "Oh, we'd only stay open long enough to build a reputation, then sell it."
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 12:18 pm
I have edited my introductory message to include
the information the diet restaurant
caters to the fashionable diets of today...i.e.
atkins, south beach, weight watchers etc.

Not my restaurant of choice, but if I were on a
diet perhaps it makes sense.....You are on a diet
not becoming a hermit!.....

Cav.....I wouldn't frequent Scraps, but perhaps
my French poodle Henri wouldn't mind left overs!
A doggy restaurant in the middle of Yorkville
might be a hit!

By the way, wasn't "Jo Allen's" a restaurant that
didn't advertise or even have a sign out front,
but was always packed?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 12:23 pm
Yep, I remember Jo Allen's. Great sandwiches, soups and cheese if I recall. Sadly, a trendy doggie cafe/restaurant would most likely be a hit. I think it might work better in the Beaches though. Interesting factoid: When Jean-Georges Vongerichten first started his apprenticeship in a three Michelin star restaurant, his job was to cook for the patrons dogs.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 03:57 pm
Cav...I've done a few doggie portraits in my
time, maybe I could moonlight at 'Scraps" and try to keep
peace between the dogs!

Joe, if I pay a little extra, can I have a waiter/
waitress at your restaurant tell me repeatedly that I just look fabulous and to please, please have double helpings of the crepes suzette?
0 Replies