Gravity the movie, What do you think of It?

Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:25 pm
I saw it in the dinky form of IMAX. The movie was visually stunning and worth seeing for that aspect alone and i have no doubt that this is ground breaking moving making but I dont make movies so I dont really care. my major feeling walking away was sadness that so much talent/money/time has been devoted to such a weak script. I am also offended that that the script writers at certain points ignored reality to get the story they wanted, like when the Clooney character allegedly thinks he needs to let go and die so that the Bullock character can live...... way too lazy, if they wanted to kill the character off they should have done the work to come up with a plausible way to do it. any points added for getting the feeling of being in a space station or in space right (and I love when Mad Men is anal about getting the details right) is lost by the whopper lies told to advance the weak story in my not humble opinion.

what say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 4,281 • Replies: 23
Topic Closed

tsarstepan

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 05:59 am
@hawkeye10,
I saw it Friday evening on the grand full scale IMAX screen in the Lincoln Square cinema. SO far it's my favorite film I have seen this year. I've already seen 22 movies in 2013 (about 16 of them in the movie theater).

I hold the opposite opinion regarding the acting and script. The simple script was pitch perfect. Despite the film's scientific errors (as stated by the world famous scientist, Neil Degrasse Tyson here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/neil-degrasse-tyson-trolled-gravity-on-twitter), please remember it's a work of fiction and suspension of disbelief still applies. It's not a frakking Nova or BBC science documentary or astronomy/physics class taught by Stephen Hawkings.

You should have strayed away from revealing spoilers as some people might stumble onto this thread prior to seeing the film to see if its worth seeing in the movie theater (which I believe it totally is) or to wait until it comes out on DVD/Bluray.

I think Sandra Bullock is going to get her second acting Oscar nomination and so far she's my favorite lead actress performance this year.

And yes, there are some people who actually would sacrifice themselves for others. Not everyone is sociopathic, completely selfish, and totally devout to the libertarian way of thinking ... so I believe Clooney's decision is a possible one (albeit a too quick/irrational one at the moment)
farmerman

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 11:30 am
@tsarstepan,
well, thanks to you two, I don't have to go see it.
tsarstepan

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 11:54 am
@farmerman,
((sheepishly)) Sorry. I forgot to add the spoiler tags onto the thread when I first say it this morning.

Still, you should see the movie as its quite a stunner to look at and Sandra Bullock gives quite a moving performance.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 01:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
I liked it but didn't love it. There were some points of preposterous physics but I'm inclined to grant them some poetic license since this wasn't supposed to be a documentary. The visual elements were very nice and the ending of the film got rolling enough so that I was entertained, but I thought it slowed down in the middle of the film as they did the obligatory exploration of the character's angst at being in such a desperate situation.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 06:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
A recent movie called Europa Report was similar to Gravity in its attempts at technical accuracy. The story was more interesting in Europa Report, but the visuals were better in Gravity.
hawkeye10

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 07:07 pm
@rosborne979,
the way I look at it if a movie maker learns how to use technology in a new way that allows new things to be done, or old things done better, then I should get a better told story. this is no different than the concept that A more capable language should be expected to tell a better story. why use the great new ability to tell a thin boring story? let it tell a great story.
tsarstepan

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 08:24 pm
@rosborne979,
I saw very small budget indie, Europa Report in the movie theater and neither the story nor the acting wasn't better then that in Gravity.

It was good film but all it was, was The Blair Witch Project (1999) but in space.
hawkeye10

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:09 am
Gravity is a slasher movie set in space. I dont tend to liie slasher movies.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:46 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

the way I look at it if a movie maker learns how to use technology in a new way that allows new things to be done

Unfortunately movie makers have gone and substituted "Technology" for the story. That's for kids.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 01:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I saw very small budget indie, Europa Report in the movie theater and neither the story nor the acting wasn't better then that in Gravity.

It was good film but all it was, was The Blair Witch Project (1999) but in space.

To each his own. But I would point out...

Gravity : Miraculously dodging space debris and worrying about life
Europa Report : Exploring a new world and discovering alien life

Europa Report wins, by default. Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 14 Oct, 2013 06:17 pm
Quote:
[T]his time bringing in $44.2 million for a two-week total of $123.4 million.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/audiences-still-feel-gravitys-pull.html
WOOT!
0 Replies

marcellajefferson

Wed 16 Oct, 2013 01:48 am
I think its good but over hyped!
hawkeye10

Wed 16 Oct, 2013 02:29 am
@marcellajefferson,
marcellajefferson wrote:

I think its good but over hyped!
you did not see it in IMAX did you......
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sat 19 Oct, 2013 10:15 pm
Code:Movie Summary

WALL-E GRAVITY
Genre Animation Sci-Fi Thriller
Studio Buena Vista Warner Bros.
Release Date June 27, 2008 October 4, 2013
Domestic Gross $223,808,164 $148,606,000 (so far)
Production Budget $180 million $100 million
Running Time 1 hr. 37 min. 1 hr. 31 min.
MPAA Rating G PG-13

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=gravitywalle.htm
theodoremaxim

Wed 23 Oct, 2013 01:31 am
@hawkeye10,
Awesome movie it is!! Amazing experience!
hawkeye10

Wed 23 Oct, 2013 01:38 am
@theodoremaxim,
theodoremaxim wrote:

Awesome movie it is!! Amazing experience!

ya, you are half right, amazing experience, but most certainly not a awesome movie. you can not have a great movie with at least a serviceable script.
tsarstepan

Fri 1 Nov, 2013 02:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
He ain't coming back to elaborate on that short review I guess.
~~
http://www.channelate.com/comics/2013-03-16-space.png
http://www.channelate.com/2013/03/16/no-way-braaaah/
0 Replies

timur

Fri 1 Nov, 2013 02:29 pm
@theodoremaxim,
Well, even in 3D, the movie is somehow disappointing..
0 Replies

ryaan

Wed 6 Nov, 2013 06:32 am
@tsarstepan,
I liked it but it was exceptional. The visual and the graphic was awesome but I thought it slowed down in the middle of the film which made it slightly boring for me.
0 Replies