Why did you choose the side you're on?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:37 pm
We all have a tendency to draw caracatures of the opposition, I think.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:44 pm
Though it can obviously be misconstrued, I did not say "Here is what the liberal mind is based on."

I said closer to "..and I thought the liberal mind was more nuanced." I think we've all thrown things out without cross-referencing for perfection and supporting documentation...

Much ado about nothing, seems to me.

I'm a little queasy now, at the idea OMIGODSIGDAVID is a conservative.

I don't want to get embroiled further about this if we can help it. If we're going to fuss--let it be about something worthwhile.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:48 pm
Sofia wrote:
I don't want to get embroiled further about this if we can help it. If we're going to fuss--let it be about something worthwhile.

OK - what kind of cheese do you like? Blue cheese or yellow cheese - hard cheese or soft - French or Italian?

Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:49 pm
Don't tell me you like blue cheese better - it can't be!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:50 pm
nimh wrote:
Sofia wrote:
To hobitbob's statement that FOX must be biased:

Yep. That's what I think.

I think they are all biased--and I'm thankful at least one of them is biased toward the right.

Thats a good point, actually. Sometimes I think the pretense of neutrality is worse than having a variety of explicited biases. At least you know the bias you get, and you're free to get a variety of 'em. For example, CNN would probably annoy me less if it just profiled itself as "the American news channel", instead of claiming to speak in the name of some objective global neutrality.

This is why I watch BBC and may try to get Al Jazeera. I doubt I'll like much of the slant of AJ, but I do need to at least hear their views. I'm glad a lot of libs watch FOX.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:54 pm
You seem to like the slant of Fox.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:02 pm
Many times I agree with FOX. I do feel like they take it over the top sometimes. Moreso than their slant, though, I'm irritated by their lack of professionalism.

They need, IMO, more grounding. They aren't all bad--but sometimes they seem like they're on Spring Break, or something.

Still, a refreshing alternative.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:09 pm
I sometimes grow aggravated with ABC news because they are pretty conservative to me. I know a woman who doesn't watch ABC because she thinks it's too liberal.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:12 pm
I never go to the CNN website anymore, but I find the MSNBC one a refreshingly no-nonsense news site ...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:17 pm
MSNBC is my first stop.

I was irked today, though==it had a plethora of 'anti-Bush' headlines, and a big Ashcroft/911 headline --but didn't even mention Reno's testimony.

It was quite something. (Maybe not newsworthy, because it made her, her administration and the FBI look negligent, from what I saw.)

No mention.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:31 pm
Yeah, with MSNBC I can see the tilt to the left. Not as much as with the NYT, but I can see it. With CNN I really can't. But then I've never seen Fox, can't get it here.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:37 pm
It would make your head explode.
(But, they have a policy only to hire very young women, and 90% must be high voltage blond. You could turn the sound down...)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:41 pm
Heh ... but I dont really go for blondes ... so not even that! Razz
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:49 pm
I was switching back and forth between Fox and CNN for the commentary after the president's speech tonight. To CNN's credit, they did an excellent job of presenting a fair and balanced accounting and opinion. No tilt noted at all.

I do think Fox has had a positive influence on them. ::::ducks::::::: Smile
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:01 pm
They have caused a little shift because of ratings.
I've noticed CNN has moved a bit to the right.

I wonder if it is possible to give balanced views from the two major angles...? Why not cover Janet Reno with vigor equal to Condi?....
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:28 pm
Quote:
(But, they have a policy only to hire very young women, and 90% must be high voltage blond. You could turn the sound down...)

Not only high voltage, but a fair number of Miss America candidates. Lauren Greene, a former Miss America contestant, their morning weekday news gal is drop dead gorgeous but hardly blonde as she's black Smile
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:25 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
Left of the center of a bloc (US) that is to the right.

Craven, I'm not sure what you are saying here. Explain please.

America is well to the right. So what you consider left, is what much of the world considers right. You call CNN left, and most of the world calls it right This is because you are on the right of a nation that one the whole is already to the right.

Indeed. I'd never heard CNN described as leftist before becoming a member of this site, & it came as a slight surprise.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 04:14 pm
Master of understatement you are, Monger.

I admire that in a nun.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 11:04 am
@Sofia,
Sofia wrote:

I think everyone needs a diverse input to draw more informed opinions.

I watch BBC maybe every other day, Fox, Judy Woodruff's political show, Capital Gang on Saturdays, PBS once or twice a week, might catch Tom Brokaw once or twice a week, CNN, Crossfire occassionally.

I listen to NPR and religious channels in the car.

I like to read European papers on the net when I can. After a discussion with Craven, I think I'll add Al Jazeera to the mix.

My husband can'tstand CNN or BBC, but I think it is dangerous to only listen to people, who tell you the side you prefer. FOX was important, because as only a conservative can tell you--the overwhelming bias in the news before FOX was left.

An option was needed.

(I get that many think CNN and such are slanted right. Take it from the right--they're pro-Democrat.)
0 Replies