Ted Kennedy - "Iraq is George Bush's Vietnam"

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:15 am
Sen. Allen: Kennedy Outburst 'Worse Than Hanoi Jane'

Sen. George Allen, R-Va., blasted his colleague Sen. Ted Kennedy on Wednesday for calling the Iraq war "George Bush's Vietnam," saying that the outburst was worse than Jane Fonda's trip to Hanoi in 1972.

"I think it's even worse than Hanoi Jane," Allen told radio host Laura Ingraham, who had compared Kennedy's comments to visits to North Vietnam by Fonda and Ramsey Clark during the height of the war.

Allen explained that while Fonda was just an actress, Kennedy is an elected U.S. official whose name is known worldwide.

"It's harmful to our troops, it's harmful to our efforts and I think it's also harmful to us trying to get other countries to pitch in," the Virginia Republican told Ingraham.

"As a U.S. senator, Ted Kennedy should know better and understand the impact of his words," Allen said in a Tuesday Senate speech. "His outrageous, partisan remarks are harmful, not only to our courageous soldiers serving abroad, but also to their families who are praying for their safety in treacherous conditions."

Allen advised Ingraham, "You've got to play bump and run with the likes of Ted Kennedy. You just can't let them keep making these assertions without correcting them or taking them to task."

NewsMax

Shiite Terror Leader Quotes Ted Kennedy

Shiite terrorist leader Muqtada al-Sadr was so impressed with Sen. Ted Kennedy's portrayal of the war in Iraq as "George Bush's Vietnam," he's picked up the theme himself.

"Iraq will be another Vietnam for America and the occupiers," al-Sadr said Wednesday in a statement issued from his office in Najaf. Forces loyal to the maniacal imam have killed 20 U.S. soldiers since Sunday.

Al-Sadr's remark mirrored Kennedy's own anti-war blast on Tuesday, when he told the Brookings Institution, "Iraq is George Bush's Vietnam."

"I call upon the American people to stand beside their brethren, the Iraqi people, who are suffering an injustice by your rulers and the occupying army, to help them in the transfer of power to honest Iraqis," the al-Sadr statement continued, according to the Associated Press.

No doubt Sen. Kennedy will echo the al-Sadr sentiment in his next address.

NewsMax

I think an elected official who makes statements like this during wartime is contemptible. Rather than speaking out against terrorism as the enemy of this country, he makes it sound like our President is worse than any terrorist. I don't understand how people can keep voting him into office.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 781 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:22 am
It's nice that our Australian friends are standing with us:

Howard dismisses Iraq-Vietnam link

ANY comparison between the Iraq conflict and Vietnam is politically motivated and historically wrong, Prime Minister John Howard said today.

Senior Liberal Party figures, including former prime minister Malcolm Fraser and former party president John Valder, have likened the Iraq conflict to the Vietnam war.

Labor leader Mark Latham has also made the comparison but Mr Howard today dismissed the suggestions.

"Those comparisons are politically inspired, historically inaccurate and designed not to help but to hinder," he told reporters in Sydney.

Times were tough in Iraq but the Iraqi people would not want Australia to pull out, he said.

"They need our support and our solidarity, not our notice to quit at a time like this.

"It would be a retreat from what Australia believes in, and stands for, for it to bail out at a time of difficulty and trial."

Mr Howard said the psychological effect of Australia even speculating publicly about a troop withdrawal was damaging.

The nation was committed to ensuring that every element of its deployment completed tasks given to it, he said.

But it was impossible to put a time frame on when the job would be done.

AAP

Daily Telegraph
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:35 am
i don't know about the jane fonda comparison, seems silly, but kennedy should watch his choice of words.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:44 am
don't get the idea that Australia is standing with you. Nobody but that slimey little slug Howard and his cronies hold that view. He'll be gone in November and Mark Latham will be the new PM.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:46 am
It was conservatives that sent this nation to Vietnam, and the same party that sent us to Iraq. The opposition will bring the troops home this time, the same as they did 30 years ago.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 01:17 am
Just been watching the news. Howard's now fighting his own colleagues, with the defense minister at the time of the Vietnam war siding with the opposition leader in calling it Howard's Vietnam, and members of his own party agreeing. He's dismissing and attacking anyone who disagrees with him in predictable conservative arrogance.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 03:46 am
Quote:
I think an elected official who makes statements like this during wartime is contemptible. Rather than speaking out against terrorism as the enemy of this country, he makes it sound like our President is worse than any terrorist. I don't understand how people can keep voting him into office.

We understand that you don't understand. We also think you should vary your reading.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:36 am
We likes our current sources just fine, yessss...

'Pit bull' Kennedy goes step too far

By Boston Herald editorial staff

Thursday, April 8, 2004

On Monday Sen. Ted Kennedy, designated pit bull for the Kerry campaign, said, "Iraq is George Bush's Vietnam, and this country needs a new president.''

By Wednesday the theme had been picked up by none other than radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, who issued a statement saying, "I call upon the American people to stand beside their brethren, the Iraqi people, who are suffering an injustice by your rulers and the occupying army, to help them in the transfer of power to honest Iraqis. Otherwise, Iraq will be another Vietnam for America and the occupiers.''

Of course, al-Sadr is wanted for murder and his militia continue to attack U.S. troops. But heck, he and the senior senator from Massachusetts have found common ground. Isn't that special!

Since Sunday, nearly three dozen Americans and other coalition soldiers have lost their lives. But what are young Americans returning home in body bags to Ted Kennedy, when there are political points to be scored.

Imagine the pain that the families of those latest casualties - like the family of Providence native Matthew Serio, a 21-year-old Marine killed in a firefight in Fallujah Monday - are already coping with. And then imagine the pain of knowing that at the moment their son was fighting and dying for his country, Ted Kennedy was in Washington calling Iraq a "misguidedwar'' that has "made America more hated in the world and made the war on terrorism harder to win.''

In a more civil era, it was considered political suicide to say the kind of things Ted Kennedy said this week while young Americans were dying on foreign soil. But no such sense of propriety or sympathy for the families of the fallen enters into Kennedy's thinking - not when there are political points to be scored against George W. Bush.

"A year after the war began, Americans are questioning why the administration went to war in Iraq, when Iraq was not an imminent threat,'' Kennedy said, conveniently forgetting that it is not an administration that goes to war, it is a nation - this nation in a move authorized by the Congress. Today some 135,000 U.S. military men and women are still on the ground in Iraq.

Yet in his unrelenting effort to put John Kerry [related, bio] in the White House, Kennedy belittles the efforts of those troops, while giving aid, comfort and his best lines to the likes of a murdering thug like al-Sadr.

With people like Kennedy in his corner, Kerry won't need enemies.

BostonHerald.com
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:46 am
The Newsmax piece is too silly for words, and perfectly predictable.

McCain has argued (well, not argued, but he's said) that Iraq isn't comparable to Vietnam. That seems right in a number of ways, as in how many americans have or are likely to be killed.

Militarily and strategically, the comparable case seems clearly to be Palestine/Israel, which is not encouraging.

But the Vietnam comparison is correct in a couple of ways. First, arrogance. We are big and have shiny weapons and we are godly, while they are small and backward and evil. Second, it looks increasingly like Iraq will bring down an administration.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:49 am
Actually your second comparison is right on. We did bring down an administration, and its president is in jail now. And the American and Iraqi people overwhelmingly approve.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 06:05 am
Terrorist
"he makes it sound like our President is worse than any terrorist."

Yes, I agree. W is a worse than any terrorist and has been reposponsible for more deaths, as well.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 06:10 am
Re: Terrorist
pistoff wrote:

Yes, I agree. W is a worse than any terrorist and has been reposponsible for more deaths, as well.

here, here!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 06:24 am
Re: Terrorist
pistoff wrote:

Nah...that's a bad comparison. Bush is undereducated, incurious, incompetent, an idealogue, and deeply dangerous because of all those things. But he is not as 'bad' as any terrorist.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 03:37 pm
The wars in Vietnam and Iraq were both entered under false pretenses.

The war in Iraq may be worse than Vietnam. This is only the beginning of what may be a decades-long occupation of Iraq.

The U.S. could have left Vlietnam at any time without consequences to the U.S. Leaving Iraq now would mean a civil war and possible instability for the whole Middle East. That could seriously affect world-wide oil-based economies.

Bush got us into a big pile of dung in Iraq, and it will take somebody else to get us out.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:15 pm
Kennedy is a dumb **** so I wasn't surprised when he said that. I would vote for Bush's testicle before I would vote for Kennedy.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:23 pm
Evidence
The above is proof of how completely stupid Right Wingers are.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/bush_chimpbros.jpg
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:24 pm
Re: Evidence
pistoff wrote:
The above is proof of how completely stupid Right Wingers are.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/bush_chimpbros.jpg

you reek of liberalism, which is a pity.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:30 pm
Pist and BW, separated at birth?
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:33 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Pist and BW, separated at birth?

I didn't deserve that insult. Very Happy
0 Replies