What the government shut down will do

spendius

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:03 pm
@spendius,
But there have been partial shutdowns before I understand.

Why did the clock not stop in any of those?
oralloy

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 09:42 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
But there have been partial shutdowns before I understand.
Why did the clock not stop in any of those?

No idea. I just saw the headline and thought it kind of sad.

Although perhaps that is a sign of my screwed up priorities. Not winding a clock certainly pales in comparison to someone facing death or serious injury.

Gallup has called me at least twice now in the past few days, I presume to ask me if I was mad at anyone in Washington.

I didn't bother to answer either time. I don't really care about the shutdown anymore (if I ever did).
Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 01:47 pm
@oralloy,
The odd thing is that congressmen still receive their salaries and perks and what not... if I were Obama, I'd put them all on notice by not paying a dime to them.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 01:57 pm
@Olivier5,
Unfortunately, the President doesn't have that power. It's Congress that controls the purse strings and it puts them in the enviable position of being able to raise their own salaries or make any other decisions regarding same.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Right, but who's actually operating the HR office? There must be admin folks managing the payroll, and they must be federal government staff, no? Maybe Obama could send them a memo that they should all take a forced leave until further notice. Come to think of it, he should also send the senate security personnel home, and the sweepers and the maintenance crew as well.

'Mr Congressman/Ms Congresswoman, you're entering the premisses at your own risks... Do mind the homeless people sleeping in your office. They're armed so there's nothing I can do... I must go now, I'm alternating as a pizzaiolo during the shutdown.'
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:58 pm
@Olivier5,
Obama's administrative authority extends only over the Executive branch of the government. We expect a lot from a president but in reality his authority is quite limited; there's only so much he can do.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 03:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
And that's supposed to be a presidential system?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 03:16 pm
@Olivier5,
That's supposed to be a system of "checks and balances." Nobody has unlimited authority and one branch of government can always put the brakes on any excesses of another one of the three branches. Unfortunately, in fiscal situations (which is what the present crisis basically is), Congress holds the whip hand.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 03:24 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Well, each political system has its quirks and debilitating aspects I suppose.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 10:41 am
The government shutdown has made these trespassing malingerers criminals:
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-10/enhanced/webdr02/9/15/enhanced-buzz-8302-1381347263-27.jpg
Quote:
1. But look at these radicals who are blatantly defying the federal government by having a stroll and eating lunch in a CLOSED PARK.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/brave-tourists-are-blatantly-defying-the-us-governments-dema
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 05:22 pm
There will be a deal to tide you over. If not the markets will force the issue within a week at most.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 05:06 pm
@Olivier5,
Senator Al Franken has donated his salary to a food bank in his state.
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 05:18 pm
@plainoldme,
That should get him a few votes. What's the timescale? Has he any other income?

0 Replies