Wiring chandelier to a plug

dalehileman

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 10:57 am
@miniangel,
Quote:
…...VERY common to convert…...you will find a ton of pages dedicated to converting hard wire lamps…..kits for this purpose.
Mil we'll have top take your word for this. However it would be a shock to learn that every such an app having a metal shell doesn't also include a ground wire (excuse the pun)

Quote:
…….wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong.
Your concern is admirable

Quote:
Every where I look online shows I do not need to connect that wire to anything.
At first, somewhat hard to believe

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong but is it considered grounded since it is wrapped around a green screw on the light plate…..I just can't get a straight answer.
Maybe Mil that's because miswording your q. For instance to the Average Clod (me) the foregoing statement doesn't seem to make sense

We (or at least I) hd assumed the wire was dangling from the frame and that you were wondering whether you should connect it to something. Of course we responded yes, you're supposed to ground it

Quote:
I will consult with a friend that's in the field. Thanks to all that have given their advice : )
Sorry we couldn't be of more help. Apparently there's some sort of semantic roadblock
contrex

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 11:01 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Sorry we couldn't be of more help. Apparently there's some sort of semantic roadblock

I think she wanted to be told "Yes, that's fine, just wire up a 2 prong plug, you won't burn up your customers", and when she didn't see that answer, she just tuned out the actual answers she got.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 11:07 am
@parados,
Quote:
…..you definitely shouldn't pretend to be an electrician.
Golly Dos I didn't think I was. I spent a lifetime in the field of electronics but as I had admitted in an earlier posting I'm merely guessing at the legal aspects of a wiring installation

As I understand so far, Mini is asking about the ground wire hanging from the frame of her app, whether she's required to connect it somewhere. Not familiar with the circumstances some of us reply yes, you're supposed to ground it. However, the connections apparently being of a temporary sort to demonstrate the app to a customer, it might be logical to suppose the ground connection unnecessary per Con #….283

Mini, if you're still with us: Leaving it unconnected entails only the very slightest danger. If for instance there happens to be a short in the lamp between "hot" and frame, the only way I can imagine catastrophe is while you're demonstrating the app your customer, just recently having come in from a rainstorm, simultaneously grabs the frame with one hand and a nearby radiator with the other
contrex

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 11:38 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Mini, if you're still with us: Leaving it unconnected entails only the very slightest danger.

Did you look at the pictures? That cord wasn't made last week. Neither was the chandelier! Personally I think it looks scary. It's been hanging on a ceiling for years and then recovered and stored for God knows how long. You don't know how wet is has got inside, there must be some kind of terminal block inside to distribute the current to each lamp, who knows what it looks like inside. Personally I would rewire the damn thing.

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w627/Tina_Carrillo_Sanchez/100_5104_zpsa2c325aa.jpg
dalehileman

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 11:48 am
@contrex,
Con don't misunderstand me. Clearly the installation you depict and suppose is dangerous to all. I was merely suggesting Mini might temporarily leave it dangling for a demo, of course removing that 2-pin plug before an actual sale

….though of course I'd first teach her to use a volt-ohmmeter. But by no means do I suggest leaving it disconnected in its final installation
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 11:42 pm
@miniangel,
It appears that the grounding has been covered but I will reiterate it once again. Since your fixtures was originally designed for installation on a ceiling light outlet you will have three conductors,(hot,grounded circuit conductor and a ground conductor). They would have terminated to the conductors in the ceiling outlet (hot,grounded circuit conductor and ground conductor). Now you want to install a cord cap so you can plug-in to a wall receptacle. You need to use a three-prong cord cap that will have provisions for all three conductors (hot,grounded circuit conductor and ground conductor). The two prong cord cap you are wanting to use is designed for appliances that are "double insulated" and don't require nor have a ground conductor.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 12:10 pm
@bahtah,
Quote:
You need to use a three-prong cord cap that will have provisions for all three conductors
Truly the safest alternative but Mini's being a temporary electrification for demo purposes some of us have suggested that nah, you don't need to per Para #….127 above
0 Replies