I'm the proud owner of 2 not so new VW Camper Vans. Now what?

Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 10:51 am
The Specs: 1978 pop-up, 1972 flat top. Neither of them run. Both have a lot of rust, particularly around the bottom rim..(I don't know car speak.) They've got all their windows, and the interiors don't look too shabby.
Anyone ever do any work to a VW?
I'm assuming I'll have to replace the metal work, can you buy pre-made bits or do you have to make them yourself... providing you know how to do such a thing.
Can it be done with something other than metal? Like fiberglass or carbon fibre? Not that I understand would that would entail. I'm just curious.
I'm told the engines on these things sucked and it would probably be smarter to upgrade. Truth? Especially if I tow my boler?
Any how, just looking for an insight. I feel i may have gotten into something waaaaaay over my head. Kinda of a hippie ideal, ifyaknowwhatimean...

Rockhead

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 11:26 am
@Ceili,
"Anyone ever do any work to a VW?"

(slowly looking around and raising my hand...)

you're gonna try and fix them both?
hingehead

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:10 pm
@Ceili,
When I saw the topic my first thought was 'paint flowers on them and travel back to the 60s.'

And that's as useful as I get.
Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:11 pm
@Rockhead,
Hoping to. Sell one to pay for the other. Maybe. I dunno. Sometimes I think I've lost my mind.
Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:12 pm
@hingehead,
That's about where I'm coming from. lol
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:23 pm
@Ceili,
<listening>
Mine was just a van. I remember thinking it was top heavy, but I tended to like low slung sports cars back then, re driving, say, on twisty canyon roads.

It also attracted police if I drove through nicer neighborhoods. Laughs. (I was showing my later husband the great allee of Morton Bay fig trees.)

Anyway, Ceili, no advice, just interested.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:37 pm
@Ceili,
Those vans were (and still are) made just 10 km from us ...

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps46a4144b.jpg
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:42 pm
@Ceili,
Type in repair your vw van on You Tube, there's a good few videos on VW van repair.
Not saying they're any good but you might get some ideas from them..

Cool,
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwNP_4YBeacIigUgt3ZKW0tJAb3sRmmqrq-0VKyOJ4Fb2-p4ny
Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 03:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Mine look like the first and last, baby blue and white though. I wish they had the v front...
Cool. Ever own one?
Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 03:36 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Already did that. It's just I don't understand the lingo, as it were.
I'm not really a car cal. We bought them off a friend for real cheap. And now I'm not sure what to do with them. I know what I'd like to happen, but realistically... what have I done.
Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 03:39 pm
@ossobuco,
It's all good Osso. I was thinking my kid might show some interest. We'll see. They other one has already laid dibs on borrowing them. I'm just not sure I can get them to go or what it entails, exactly.
A fools folly, mayhaps.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 03:45 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Now there's a photo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 03:48 pm
@Ceili,
Ah, mine might have been thinner than the thinnest ('68, I think, but might have been earlier, '64?)
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 04:47 pm
@Ceili,
You're a hippie now .... chill.

I know Rockhead would be able to tell you what's needed, what could be done.... but not without eyeballing the vans..
Here's hoping you know somebody local that will give you an honest appraisal of what can and cant be done and what it's going to cost.
Do this before you spend a penny on it.
Good luck.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 12:08 am
@Ceili,
I've never owned an own one, driven (and stayed in) a lot of them, though.

(The photo was taken, when the company opened a new museum.)
Rockhead

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 12:49 am
@Ceili,
the 78 is prolly the keeper.

pop top and fuel injection. assuming the original running gear is all intact.

I'm not sure what you are hoping for as a tow vehicle.

you might should go drive one before you decide you want to build one.

they are kinda funky to drive and underpowered.

slow but steady...

all of the body panels are available re-popped. and steel is the only way to approach it seriously.

and all of them are rusty.

some rust is more devastating than others.

you can send me a pic if you don't want to post one, and I can advise you better after viewing it...
Ceili

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 11:11 am
@Rockhead,
Thank-you very much. Yes, I will post pictures once I have them. They're not here yet.
The rust is pretty devastating. The lowest bottom panels are rusted out quite severely. I thought maybe I could swap some parts, but they both have the same problems. Double the fun, I suppose.
I'm assuming by running gear you mean a running motor et al. I dunno. I'll find out.
Slow but steady.... See that is a problem. I love speed. I'm very impatient. Laughing I was reading you could exchange motors and put in one with some guts. That could get pricey though.
I got them for 250 each. Canadian. And yes, our dollar has started to slide. again.

Ceili

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 11:16 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Now? lol... Always been one.
Thanks for the advice.. too late. Wink
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 11:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There are a whole bunch around here, I've never had the luxury of being in one. My daughter is all excited at the prospect, although I doubt she'll lift a finger to help in any way.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 11:21 am
@ossobuco,
How was yours on the hills?