Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 05:19 pm
My sister is having a lot of problems understanding "Obamacare" and the bottom line cost to her. She's a single mother with 3 kids (6, 5, and 3) and her income is 16.000 a year. Her employer offers health coverage but it costs over $200 every 2 weeks so it's unaffordable with her bills. The state she lives in is NC. Could someone explain what the cost of health care + subsides would be for her vs. paying the penalty?

View best answer, chosen by Erick726
jespah

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 06:09 pm
@Erick726,
http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/bystate/nc.html
Erick726

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 08:53 pm
@jespah,
That was very informative. It turns out that NC isn't expanding its Medicaid program and although her kids are covered she makes too much to be covered herself. Her only option is to shop around in October with the marketplace but nearly 100% of her income goes toward her kids, bills, and food. She'll be forced to pay the penalty in 2014 but each year after that it'll get more expensive. Is she out of luck being a member of the working poor trying to raise a family?
roger

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 09:03 pm
@Erick726,
Hard to believe that an annual income of $16,000 doesn't qualify her for anything, especially with those kids.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 09:11 pm
@Erick726,
I didn't see anything at jespah's source that told me that, what did you click on?
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 09:12 pm
@Erick726,
Erick726 wrote:

It turns out that NC isn't expanding its Medicaid program

Tons of states with Republican governments aren't.
0 Replies

Erick726

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 10:20 pm
@Erick726,
The NC Medicaid caretaker income limit for 4 is $594/month. Her kids are covered but she isn't. If there's any advice you can give it's very welcomed.
0 Replies

InsuranceLady
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 08:02 am
@Erick726,
For a family of four with that income she is well below the poverty line. Here kids should be eligible for CHIP no problem, but I think that was already discovered. As for her insurance, tell her to put in for a hardship exemption. The bad news is that she still will not have insurance, but she will not have to pay the tax.
Erick726

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 06:49 am
@InsuranceLady,
Thanks for the tip. I did some searching and more information will be available in October. If she can't afford insurance then this is probably her only option.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 10:18 am
@Erick726,
Erick726 wrote:

Is she out of luck being a member of the working poor trying to raise a family?

She isn't out of luck since she has a lot of company in the working poor class, who's trying to raise a family. She should go out and get a 2nd job and when her kids reach the age of 15-16, each of them should be able to get part-time jobs (20 hr/week) like the Depression era kids did.

Work is makes for a healthy heart and lungs.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 10:33 am
@Miller,
what if there are not enough crappy jobs for all those poor folks to have 2 each?

Rolling Eyes
roger

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 01:07 pm
@Rockhead,
Ya mean like those that are still looking for the first job?
Miller

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 01:48 pm
@roger,
Judge Judy always tells her audience, if you cannot earn money any other way, you can always go out and collect bottles and cans.

Very true.
panzade

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 02:01 pm
It's tough to pay a baby-sitter from the income from collecting bottles and cans...
Oh wait! ...the kids are 6,5 and 3.
They're old enough to go out and help with the collectin'
Miller

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 02:15 pm
@panzade,
Abolish welfare and do it right now.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 02:17 pm
@Erick726,
[quoteShe's a single mother with 3 kids (6, 5, and 3)][/quote]

What's this mean? Single mother? She never married? She's widow?
She's divorced? She's separated?

What is she??
chai2

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 02:17 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Judge Judy always tells her audience, if you cannot earn money any other way, you can always go out and collect bottles and cans.

Very true.

What are you supposed to do with bottles and cans if you live in a state that doesn't reimburse for them?

Miller, I'm all for working hard and thinking of ingeneous ways of making a few extra dollars, but sometimes it's just not there. Sometimes no matter how hard you try, there isn't work available, let alone a 2nd job, because literally hundreds are standing (cyber-wise) in line waiting for the same openings you are.

So, you collect a can, accidently cut yourself, get tentenus, or an infection, now you really can't work.

Could be easy for you to say "just collect bottles and cans" when I have a pretty good idea of what you earn for a living as a nurse. It's not like you're on skid row.

Now go ahead and ignore any exchange of ideas as you always do, and post some other left field comment.

You know, in all the time I've been here on A2k, and all the posts of yours I've read, I don't think I've ever seen you directly addressed a person as if you were away they were a human being, or responded to anything directly.

Why is that? We have names you know, and personalities.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 02:18 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

[quoteShe's a single mother with 3 kids (6, 5, and 3)]

What's this mean? Single mother? She never married? She's widow?
She's divorced? She's separated?

What is she??
[/quote]

...and what difference does that make.....?
Miller

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 02:22 pm
@chai2,
You have to ask?
roger

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 02:44 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Very true.

Oh, goody! You've found someone you can relate to on your own level.