studies indicate need for change in anorexia treatment

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 08:42 am
article here:
http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/UCSF-study-turns-anorexia-treatment-on-its-head-4827675.php

Wow, I say - this seems quite important news (or recent thinking) to me.

Adds, there are other similar studies besides this one in today's SF Chronicle - they also mention important ones at Stanford and two in Canada.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,252 • Replies: 27
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 09:22 pm

We have at least one poster who is in big trouble re anorexia.

I don't remember her name, but she seems in deep trouble.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 09:27 pm
@ossobuco,
This is nuts that none on a2k is paying attention.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 09:46 pm
@ossobuco,
These studies are useful.

I don't get it, why this isn't interesting? this could be helpful.

Are none of you dealing with this in your families? Change in treatment could matter. Not that I know, but on my reading it sounds like an advance.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 10:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know OB, I just noticed this by clicking on New Posts. I hope the poster you referred to is still online at A2K. I haven't read the information yet but I will. (This is slightly embarrassing but I've been obsessed with Texts from Dog recently)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 10:15 pm
@glitterbag,
But you're the first one to notice. I'm way not in the mood, but I'll see what I can find. This is a person who is at the starved end of stuff. She has a team - they seam idiotic to me, but I'm not there, not to mention not an expert, though I agree with the article I linked to.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 10:37 pm
@ossobuco,
tagged this to come back and read
I'm very interested in this - had some food control issue about 35 years ago that went to a baddish place
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 10:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Apparently there are websites that actually promote starvation and provide tips on how to avoid treatment. I'm sorry that I don't remember anyone posting about that problem, but I'll try to use my limited skills to see if I can find that source. Please don't get frustrated, it's very kind that you are trying to help. Not many people are willing to do so. I
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 10:42 pm
BUT - we have a girl here who is in biggo trouble. I'm failing to remember but she has been posting here recently, maybe over three or six months. I'm usually good on names, but presently blank on this one. Multiple threads by her.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 11:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I found star7 who posted My Starvation Diet, RexRed who posted The Starvation Diet. Check the health forum, click on diet, then you should find starvation. I didn't copy and paste because I'm using an iPad right now and this device doesn't do that. If you can't find them, I'll fire up the desk top and send them to you. There are three separate threads outlining ridiculous and dangerous diets. I hope this helps
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 11:12 pm
@glitterbag,
But not the poster I was talking about.
Bashes head on pillow.
Back tomorrow, when I'll just riff over all our posts and into beyond.

But not tonight.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 11:14 pm
I posted a response but it didn't show up. There is a starvation diet forum and the poster is called star07.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 11:16 pm
@glitterbag,
Sorry, my iPad isn't as time sensitive as my desk top.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 11:16 pm
http://able2know.org/user/wonder91/

(you've had her on follow for at least a little while)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 11:23 pm
@ehBeth,
thanks - I was not remembering the name.

Did I have her on follow? I hardly have anyone on follow, people of yore of new interest at the time, usually a while ago. Not to argue, just wondering.
Not like me to do that. And not in any recent review of mine.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 11:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Aha, you're right.

Well, that'll disuade me from this and that, though I do wish her well.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 11:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Ehbeth is right, she is on your list of follows. I'm not blowing smoke re Ehbeth, but good things can happen when people work together. Good catch Ehbeth. That woman sounds like she is getting terrible advice or possibly making up stories pretending she is getting poor treatment. Anorexia apparently is incredibly complex. I do hope the woman gets help before she harms herself, it's not just death the ultimate end, but she can damage vital organs to the point they will require lengthy painful treatments, or transplants that may or may not work. It's very sad, truly, that this can happen to people.
wonder91

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 06:50 pm
@glitterbag,
Not making up stories my professional team not comfy or know how to support my eating disorder recovery
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 06:59 pm
@wonder91,
We care about you.
There is some question if you do.
I get it that this is hard. Please pick yes.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 08:49 pm
I don't know where this thread was hiding. I certainly didn't see it at all, until just now. I have no experience with patients, but it seems sensible to me to get some nutrition into them, instead of keeping it away as much as they did in the past.
0 Replies