Christo and Jeanne Claude

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 10:10 am
Hundreds of gates, hundreds of transition points--and all in dayglo orange.

Am I wrong to hanker after a full spectrum of possibilities?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:47 pm
well, we can make the chalk outline people in festive seasonal colors
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:36 pm
farmerman--

Chalk outline people? As in equal-opportunity corpses?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 01:32 am
Not sure, if this link was already mentioned:

Satellite photo of The Gates in Central Park
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 04:29 am
Can't make it work, Walter.

Joe(I see a ship, and then nothing.)Nation
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:49 am
Yes, there's a nice ship as well - especially, when you look at the pic in highest resolution.

Walter<who doesn't know why he got just a smal pic on his monitor>Hinteler :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 07:01 am
Joe, the photo 'arrives' at first as a very large one, and it takes quite some time to load (even with DSL, cable etc). Then it minimizes (by itself) and by be enlarged again manually.

I suppose, my computer stored that pic in the cache/on a temp file or another of these rucksacks.

http://www.spaceimaging.com/gallery/spacepics/central_park_12Feb05.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:01 am
I saw the large picture and scrolled down and to the right - it's fascinating. Er, not so much for the gates, but the whole photo interests me..
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 05:25 am
I walked through the park last night after dinner with Frank. At night the roadways are filled with runners, cyclists and rollerbladers interspersed with horsedrawn carriages and those little police cabs with the whirling lights. They are a much better show than the dimly lit fabric gates.

I still don't get Walter's pic. I'm going to download it again and let it cook while I take a shower.

Joe
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:51 am
did you scroll down and then over? The gates look like curls of square or rectangular tablets in a park...
0 Replies

bree

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:43 am
Cool picture, Walter - I can see my apartment building!

Joe, I must have just missed you and Frank (to say nothing of Laura Bush, who was apparently also there) yesterday. I entered the park at 72nd Street, on the west side, at about 4:30, and walked more or less due north (with a brief detour for a loop around the Great Lawn) to 85th Street, where I exited. Of course, that was a very small sampling of the whole thing, but I have to say, I was underwhelmed: I didn't hate the gates, I didn't love them - I just thought, "What's all the fuss about?" The only time I stopped to admire something was when I was walking through a stand of pine trees, and the sun - which was very low in the sky at that time of day - cast the shadow of the trees on the back of one of the pieces of fabric in what was kind of a nice effect.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 06:33 pm
Bree:\
It is a curious thing. People,

wait.

Let me start over. SOME people I know who already know the park, the Park, see the Gates and say what you said.

Those folks I've talked to who are new to the city or new to the park or both are far more moved by the flapping of the saffron sheets.

The regulars see them the same as putting a bandana on an Irish Setter.
Jaunty, but an unnecessary accouterment given the original beauty.

Joe(Hey, why haven't you shown up at any of the various NYC gatherings??????) Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:23 pm
Bandanna on an irish setter. Joe, do you mind if I use the sentence with that as my signature for a bit? Not that everybody must agree with it re the bandannas, I mean the gates, but I love the motion, the curve of the tail, the prancing, the verve... of that picture.

Edit - I went to edit my spelling of bandannas, and found out both spellings are fine. Also, I feel I must dedicate my new signature to Kelly, my and x's long loved setter. He'd have loved that park.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:29 pm
Be my guest. Cool Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:54 pm
I hadn't really been following this -- I knew about it, but hadn't paid much attention -- and then saw the pictures and went ooh! Made more of an impression than I expected.

Then, after the impression had been made, I saw some newspaper headline that reminded me of the cost -- $21 million dollars?? For that?? I mean it's nice, but...

For some reason that's now taken my enjoyment down a notch -- as something slight and ephemereal, I like it, but it seems like something that's $21 million dollars should be more than slight.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:17 pm
Joe -- great simile!

Br(because I didn't know about any of them, that's why -- at least, not until Frank recently mentioned them to me over on ehBeth's NYC thread)ee
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:10 pm
another high altitude shot:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/02/0216_050216_gates.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:46 pm
$21 million dollars - Christo and Jean Claude, financed the entire project themselves.

Certainly I would know another way or two to spent my money, but obviously they as well (when you look at the financing of their other projects and what they did for charity for example :wink: )
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:19 am
Joe you have a wonderful way with language
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:49 pm
Another view (Quicktime VR panorama) of The Gates HERE
0 Replies