Should "blasts Nokia and Android fragmentation" be "blasting Nokia and Android into fragmentation"?

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 08:54 am

Context:

Apple goes on the offensive, blasts Nokia and Android fragmentation

In a recent interview, Apple's executives talk about how the current marketpalce is evolving and also that many of its competitors are now trying to replicate their business model. More...

More:

http://www.neowin.net/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 762 • Replies: 9
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 10:11 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Cook lambasted the company by saying that they lost their way and stopped innovating by stating “I think [Nokia] is a reminder to everyone in business that you have to keep innovating and that to not innovate is to die.”

http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-goes-on-the-offensive-blasts-nokia-and-android-

Thus Ori, No. It would appear by "fragmentation" Apple includes loss of innovation
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 10:19 am
@oristarA,
No. Apple isn't the cause for Nokia's and Androids fragmentation. That is what the second option of "blasting Nokia and Android into fragmentation" claims.

Nokia and Android are responsible for creating fragmentation of their own smartphone market when they sell far more variations of their own cell phone and operating system then Apple currently has with its iPhone.

The first option is correct. It means that Apple is currently publicly criticizing Nokia and Android for their respective confusing line of phones.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 05:11 pm
Well guys, thank you for replying.

But what I wanted to know is a grammatical error: Don't you see the sentence "Apple goes on the offensive, blasts Nokia and Android fragmentation" is run-on?

But what does "fragmentation" exactly mean here?
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 05:50 pm
@oristarA,
Yes, it's a run on sentence. You are just going to have to be more forgiving of headlines. They don't follow normal rules, and they aren't going to start any time soon.

oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 06:07 pm
@roger,
Thank you Roger.

What does "fragmentation" exactly mean here?
roger

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 06:20 pm
@oristarA,
I've no idea. Fragmentation appears in the headline, and lack of innovation seems to be the subject of the article.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 06:28 pm
@oristarA,
I already mentioned what "fragmentation" means.

Android is a phone operating system provided by Google. Several companies manufacture different kinds of phones that run Android. The problem is that each phone manufacturer customizes their version of Android OS to suit there purposes.

To a regular consumer, any given version of Android say version X will look different on each manufacturer's phone so to the customer's eye, each Android phone looks like it has a completely different OS. The wide array of different user experiences between one phone to the next is described as fragmentation.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 07:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Excellent!
Thanks.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 10:33 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Well guys, thank you for replying.
Quite welcome Ori

Quote:
But what I wanted to know is a grammatical error: Don't you see the sentence "Apple goes on the offensive, blasts Nokia and Android fragmentation" is run-on?
No, sorry Ori, not a bit

Quote:
But what does "fragmentation" exactly mean here?
See my posting above #…..555 and the accompanying link
0 Replies