What did u think of THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST?

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:37 pm
Let's examine your question again, shall we? Referring to Craven pointing out that sucess and quality are not the same thing, you stated:
Quote:
usually they go hand in hand. Point to a film that strays from this.

I simply pointed out some examples. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:39 pm
Who said the films was cheapened because Mel was the director? Now you're not making the least bit of sense. Have another cocktail and go to bed.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:52 pm
Quote:
Titanic was a gimmick film, hardly a serious contender. Try harder.

And the Passion isn't? Shocked
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:57 pm
Where did I write this? Are you paraphrazing something I wrote? It's hard for you to hear anything I say because I am writing this.

"Titanic" is at the top of the list of all time money makers. Again you're theory has been shot down by...the "shooter."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 06:01 pm
You're right, hobitbob. If using a historical event is a gimmick.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:53 pm
I'm way behind here. I saw this film at last, yesterday -- Good Friday -- hoping that I would see it in the best light on that day.

I was more put off by the film than I had thought I would be, even after reading the reviews.

The violence and gore were totally gratuitous. They served no artistic purpose. I had the unwonted feeling that the violence was almost voyeuristic, close to sexual. The film was near propaganda. There were no nuances or subtleties. The appearances of the Devil were shoddy and ill-wrought.

The film left me with a feeling of sadness. If there is any message from the Christian story it should be of hope and love; the emphasis of this film was not in that direction. The only worthy things about the film were in some of the words printed on the screen that are attributed to Christ, words of eternal veracity and beauty. In fact, I got the impression that Gibson must feel that only over-the-top violence would even catch the eye of today's cinema viewer. And we wonder why violence is committed so casually today.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:12 pm
A friend told me today that a good friend of his committed suicide on Thursday night. He was 56, the father of two and grandfather of three. He did not show signs of depression, nor was he particuliarly religious.

He did, however, see The Passion Tuesday night. On Wednesday evening, he went to the home of his 82 year old father and asked to borrow his gun so he could target practice. On Thursday evening, he went outside after dinner and shot himself in the head.

He left no suicide note. The family has no idea why he would kill himself. Except to say that The Passion had a dramatic impact on him. His wife said he openly cried during the movie and again when they got home. Did The Passion drive this man to kill himself?

I think that everyone who sees it has been effected in one way or the other. (I have not seen it and have no intention to do so). This movie is a prophet in it's own way. Just last night at Good Friday services the movie was mentioned and the profound effects it has had on people. It's very possible this movie was a catalyst in this man's thinking.
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:14 pm
I'm not going to watch it. It sounds like a highly overrated movie. You have to hand it to Gibson though. The man definitely knows how to make a buck.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:28 pm
I might add The Waterboy to the box office sales do not a good film make list.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:29 pm
Hey, I liked the waterboy. My momma says you're the devil!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:43 pm
Cav, Hobit... Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:04 am
BWShooter wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
Not true -- I guess you haven't read the overwhelming number of bad reviews by the most respected film critics. Only Ebert gave it a good review and he sheepishly came on his own show and admitted that his fellow critics completely disagreed. I guess some have no imagination and have to have the blood and guts thrown out at them in a manner unprecidented in film history. Gibson has "pushed out the envelope" by filling it with unnecessary blood and gore.

so you are saying that the last days of Christ were not filled with blood and gore? Hmm, many biblical scholars would disagree with you wholeheartedly. I admire Gibson for not cheapening the story. He told it the way it should be told. To hell what film critics have to say, it blew away the competition 2 weeks in a row and grossed more in its opening week than Titanic did.

The Bilblical scholars I saw talking about it-one christian and one jewish, both said they thought the violence was "over the top". I know it had to be a complete fantasy because nobody could survive being skinned alive.
0 Replies

AmericanIcon

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:04 pm
Kara wrote:
I'm way behind here. I saw this film at last, yesterday -- Good Friday -- hoping that I would see it in the best light on that day.

I was more put off by the film than I had thought I would be, even after reading the reviews.

The violence and gore were totally gratuitous. They served no artistic purpose. I had the unwonted feeling that the violence was almost voyeuristic, close to sexual. The film was near propaganda.

LOL, it never ceases to amaze me how clueless the public is. How is the gore gratuitous or propaganda? POTC was an excellent film no matter what any critics says, either syndicated or some mental midget here.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:06 pm
Again, barging into a new forum with ad hominem attacks will only facilitate your being shown the door.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:07 pm
Read the Terms of Service and be advised that the are moderators on the site.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:11 pm
He's new, but much worse has been said here.
Today.
By people who should know better.

He has been a little negative, but he'll probably mellow shortly, once he gets his sea legs.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:16 pm
Well for someone who posted that the US should firebomb Fallujah until there's nobody left, he could be considered a bit radical and Mel's film would obviously be to his liking. The film is controversial because for the most part one either hates it or loves it. Perhaps this is one of the people who have written the Pope to demand that Mel be sainted for making the movie? Yikes!

Other seasoned members who would attack other members should also be put on notice -- the rules are for all of us.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:05 am
LW, I've been called worse than a mental midget. I'll get over it. Rolling Eyes

What I find distressing about AI's comment is that he implies his own opinion is the only correct one. If each of us suffered from such myopia, a forum like this -- with its free exchange of ideas and tolerance, if not acceptance, of the ideas of others -- could not exist or at least would not long continue.

I have found deep intellectual curiosity here on A2K. I have been persuaded of new viewpoints by calm and reasoned posters.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:11 am
I'm afraid it wasn't just that violation of the TOS -- it's being perpetrated elsewhere by the same poster.

I believe most of the posters in the Political and Religion threads believes that their opinion is the only one. That's not the problem. It's making one's point by naming others as liars or mental midgets that is not just an implication they believe only they are right, they believe they are superior and should seek therepy.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:05 am
You are right, LW. We must enforce the rules if we are all to be free of vitriol that lowers the level of discourse.

Thank you.
0 Replies