IRAQ WORSE OFF NOW THAN WITH SADDAM, SAYS BLIX

Titus

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 03:23 pm
Published on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 by the Associated Press
Blix: Iraq Worse Off Now Than With Saddam

"Bush has claimed that this war was part of an American fight against terrorism. But instead of limiting (the phenomenon), the war has generated more terrorism... This conflict has led to more instability." Hans Blix

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Iraq is worse off now, after the U.S.-led invasion, than it was under Saddam Hussein, Hans Blix told a Danish newspaper Tuesday.

"What's positive is that Saddam and his bloody regime is gone, but when figuring out the score, the negatives weigh more," the former chief U.N. weapons inspector was quoted as saying in the daily newspaper Jyllands Posten.

"That accounts for the many casualties during the war and the many people who still die because of the terrorism the war has nourished," he said. "The war has liberated the Iraqis from Saddam, but the costs have been too great."

Blix, whose inspection team didn't make any significant weapons finds during months of searching Iraq before the war, has sharply criticized the United States and Britain for their invasion of Iraq to topple Saddam Hussein's regime.

The primary reason given for the invasion was to rid the country of weapons of mass destruction. None were found during or after the invasion.

The former Swedish foreign minister currently heads a newly created Stockholm-based independent commission on weapons of mass destruction.

© Copyright 2004 the Associated Press
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 662 • Replies: 7
No top replies

McTag

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 03:51 pm
Hans Blix was a weapons expert and I think he should confine his opinions to that field. Others are more qualified than he to pronounce on the recent changes in Iraqi society. Especially ones who go there, I think.

However, I think he is probably right.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:50 pm
"Hans Blix was a weapons expert and I think he should confine his opinions to that field." McTag

Yeppir.

And the weapons expert says Iraq didn't have WMD's.
[/color]
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:51 pm
Doddering twat.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:54 pm
Now now, don't be so hard on yourself, Sofia. Wink
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 10:11 pm
Twat is a curse?
What machine makes these decisions?
C'Mon!

Since, hobitbob, you have chosen to personally insult me without provocation once again, I shall hereby mingle references to militant Islamists and Arabs as 'those people'. You should implode shortly.

Blix is a doddering twat.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 10:17 pm
Quote:
Iraq is worse off now, after the U.S.-led invasion, than it was under Saddam Hussein, Hans Blix told a Danish newspaper Tuesday.

I love it when journalists play this game. He said nothing of the sort.

Quote:
"What's positive is that Saddam and his bloody regime is gone, but when figuring out the score, the negatives weigh more,"

That's what he said. It's the VERY next paragraph!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 05:45 am
"... the negatives weigh more" seems pretty clear to me.
0 Replies