Foxfyre

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:07 pm
From Citizens for a Sound Economy:
Quote:

Link: http://www.cse.org/processor/printer.php?issue_id=1091
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:18 pm
In 1965, U.S. corporate income taxes were 4.1% of our GDP, compared to 2.4% of GDP in the other OECD countries.
But by 2000 U.S. corporate income taxes had dropped to 2.5% of GDP, while corporate income taxes in the other OECD countries had risen to 3.4% of GDP. In 2002, U.S. corporate taxes plummeted to only 1.5% of our GDP.
http://www.ctj.org/html/oecdtax.htm
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:26 pm
Citizens for a sound economy, my ass!
Rich citizens not wanting to contribute to society is more like it!
Here's the e-mail I modified for them to send to congress on my behalf!

The current debate over the Fiscal Year 2005 budget resolution is critical to our country's economic growth moving forward.
(No changes needed there!)
(Bush's) Spending must be restrained, and I urge you to help the effort by some in Congress to use budget rules to block future tax cuts.

At this crucial point in our country's economic recovery, the tax cuts unwisely passed by Congress and President Bush last year must be eradicated!
I urge you to support common-sense measures to make the Death Tax permanent, and to imperil the tax cuts of 2003.
Thanks ever so much!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:34 pm
Suzy, in my opinion this is because our litigious socieity in the last decade or so has forced small mom and pop operations that used to be exclusively sole proprietorships to incorporate to protect the owners' assets. These small businesses generally pay out all income in expenses and salaries for the owners and employees leaving nothing to tax. The owners of these businesses are not among the 'evil' rich and they are a large lion's share of American corporations. And they figure into the statistics on taxes just the same as IBM or Microsoft.

It must be noted that the owners of these small businesses and their employees do pay taxes. If they were not able to handle their finances the way they do, they would be double taxed.

Our corporations who do business on a national and internation scale are already oppressively taxed.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:52 am
Well, I can't sleep so I'll address this now.
"Our corporations who do business on a national and internation scale are already oppressively taxed."
Yet I've just shown that this is NOT the case. You have been misled.
"in my opinion this is because our litigious socieity in the last decade or so has forced small mom and pop operations that used to be exclusively sole proprietorships to incorporate to protect the owners' assets".
But we're not talking about Mom & Pops, and if the same tax base applies to those, it shouldn't. Frankly, I doubt that it does. At least not until Bush realize that some of the little guys might have escaped his clutches. The corporate tax rate has gone steadily downhill for years. And is there any question that profits are up?The website from which you posted your information is by no means run by mom & pops. Even mom & pops don't rant and rail about school vouchers, privitizing social security and abolishing the death tax! That website represents an organization whose members resent having to contribute to society.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:00 am
Can we focus on one thing at a time please? If you don't like my sources re corporate taxes, post your own. And this owner of a mom and pop operation is concerned about school vouchers (for them) and privatizing a portion of social security (for it) and abolishing the death tax (yes.)

The fact is, American corporations are right at the top of industrialized nations in the corporate taxes they pay. If you don't believe it, look it up. American corporations are already at a disadvantage in world markets due to our high labor costs, regulation, and protectionist policies of our trading partners. Pile a lot more taxes on them, and you will quickly see unemployment going up and lines getting longer at the soup kitchens.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 04:08 pm
You must need sleep more than I do, Foxfyre!
I focused on your last statements. What more do you want? I answered them directly and I did post a link substantiating my points.
Maybe the millionaire mom & pops fall for the schoolchoice scam and worry about death taxes and so on, but I don't think that the desire for money blinds all of them.
Your last point, there, despite evidence to the contrary... seems to me like they've got you scared. Just quit listening to their greedy lies!
Unless all the links I did look at are lies, and yours is the only true one, it appears that you are being used. With your consent.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 04:56 pm
Suzy, are you aware that John Kerry thinks we need to reduce corporate taxes even more than we have?
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:17 pm
Yes, but on a different sort of level. There are conditions, etc, that must be met. I have read a bit on it and I don't think I have a problem with it.
However, my mind is not made up yet.
I certainly don't expect miracles from Kerry, but I do expect some needed changes, in this and other areas. I expect some disappointments from him.
You may think he's ultra-liberal, but he's not liberal enough for my liking!
If my computer doesn't crash, which it does every 1/2 hour or so, maybe I'll be able to find, save and post some of the info I've found about his plans.
0 Replies