My little adventure today

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:35 am
So I was at home, not doing much (as I usually do) and my 4 y/o comes screaming and crying out of the bathroom. "There's a bug in the toilet! There's a bug in the toilet!" He's terrified and hysteical. I get him calmed down, and I go in there. I hear a bunch of flapping around, and I figure there's a grasshopper or some kind of bigger bug in the toilet. I open it up, scream, and jump back. There's a frog in there! How did that happen! Wait, that frog had wings! WTF???

Turns out, a baby bird go in our toilet some how. I'm thinking that since we just moved into this place, and it doesn't have screens on the window, it flew into the house. Then it smelled the water in the toilet, and got stuck in there somehow. We're not sure exactly how that happend, to be honest. At first, when I thought it was a frog, I thought it came up the plumbing. Maybe the bird did that.

Anyways, I grabbed a plastic grocery bag, and reached in there and got it out. Took it outside and put it on our picnic table to dry off. Then I realized that I put a wet, scared, shaking bird in a field in the middle of a windy day. So I grabbed a small towel, and tried to dry it off some. Got it mostly dry, and warmed up a bit. Put it in the tree (it had the good sense to latch onto the tree with it's claws) and last I heard it was doing good. About an hour later, I looked out my bedroom window, and didn't see it in the tree. Didn't see it on the ground, either. So I'm hoping this is a good ending.

Funny part? My 4 y/o, so recently terrified of it, was saying as we walked away from the tree "I'm going to miss that bird. . . "

So what happened to you today?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,334 • Replies: 12
No top replies

pueo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:42 am
today i walked by turner's house, saw a bird in the tree, took it and tossed it at the first cat i came across :wink:
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:44 am
Hmm. . .there was an awful lot of cats around today. . . must find that silly little owl and return the favor. . . Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:20 am
Awww!!! That was so sweet of you to help the little birdy. I'm touched :-D

Shame on you Pueo, you meany!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 03:04 am
Since you don't have screens up yet, have you had much of a problem with bats?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 03:07 am
Since it freezes here still, nope. Plus, I'm not in an area with a lot of bats.

We're trying to get the landlord to hurry on it, and it should be soon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 04:34 am
I like bats.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 10:46 am
They eat mosquitoes. That is good.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 01:24 pm
Isn't that just like a 4 year old. I love what young children come up with.

Funny Miller mentioned the bat issue. Once at my previous abode when I was a swinging single, I had a bat issue. I lived in a condo similar to an apartment set up. So I went into the building with my two bags of groceries, walked down the hallway and put my bags down to unlock the door. I then bent down picked up my bags and walked into my apartment. A while later I am walking around and am being attacked by a bat. I start ducking and screaming wondering what the h*ll can I do. I open the sliding glass doors to my balcony and try to encourage the bat outside. I then decide that maybe I can get the superintendent to help me. I open the hallway door and am still trying to get the bat to go outside. After a bit I can no longer find him. I figure he either escaped outside or into the hallway. I did not see him in the hallway and was afraid of running into him so I shut everything up and went to sleep.

The next night I return home and start putting away some drying dishes. As I lift one pan, there is the poor little bat. He did not seem so menacing when his wings were all tucked in and was fast asleep. I still screamed. Luckily my boyfriend was there. I yelled don't hurt him. We found a little tin container, empty the contents and were able to shoo him into the container. We then lightly put the cover on the container and carried him to the balcony. We gently let him out of the container and onto the balcony. The poor thing just sort of plopped there. I checked on him about 15 minutes later and he was gone. Boy I miss that batÂ…
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:41 pm
linkat, luckily it wasn't these bats
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:53 pm
Yuck! Lucky for me, but I from what I understand we do not have any vampire bats in Northeast US.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:49 pm
Well, the little bugger couldn't be found this morning. So that's a good thing, as I thought (s)he was dead. Rather, wouldn't survive.

'Tana - I'd like to take that compliment but truth to tell, I was going to flush him/her. The only reason I didn't is I didn't want to deal with uncloging the line. I really didn't think the little guy would make it. That was knee-jerk reaction, tho. After I calmed down I did the right thing.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:01 am
I was watching a bird sitting on a nest of eggs right outside my upstairs office window last week. Everyday she was there, her food being flown in by her mate. Then one night we had alot of wind and rain and the next day, the bird was gone! The nest was all disheveled. She'd abandoned her babies!! One little egg was hanging, caught up in the strands, but by the next day, the little egg had fallen out and I could see it lying on the ground but didn't investigate. It was kind of heartbreaking, especially after watching this new little family for days, but that's life in the wild, I suppose.
0 Replies