Deck coverings question

Mame

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 07:18 am
Hi there... We had our deck rebuilt a couple of years ago and the stain keeps peeling off. I'm not going to the trouble of restaining it again, and want to deal with this problem once and for all.

The deck has spaces between the boards, about 1/4" - 1/2"... I'm thinking of covering the whole thing with something like Duradek (sp) - it's a sheet material, not a roll-on paint. What I was thinking is that I'd have to install plywood over the existing deck in order for it to be a smooth surface - is that correct? I mean, if I didn't, the spaces between the boards would become sunken, wouldn't they?

Just want to have the right idea before I obtain quotes.

Also, is there a 'best' deck covering?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,140 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 08:31 am
@Mame,
Several years back, when a similar problem befell the back deck on the Rutland property, I conferred with my seemingly intelligent brother-in-law. His 'remedy' Rolling Eyes was to cover the older boards with new boards going in the cross over direction and then he applied some sort of coating. Darned if I recall what it was; but, it stayed in good condition for a good dozen years, at which point I was ready to vacate and sell (or sell and vacate). It survived some brutal Vermont winter weather so I suppose he knew what he was doing.

The difficulty here is twofold:
1) I have no idea what he did beyond that cross over boarding (brain fry or old age? Not sure)
2) he is long deceased as he passed on a little more than a year after the job was done.

Last up, I advise against those indoor/outdoor carpety things. Mother had that on her outside terracing and it was beyond hideous- at least I thought so. She was of limited visual ability by then so it didn't macaw her in the least.

Sorry I can't be of more help (or maybe of any).
Mame

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 08:53 am
@Sturgis,
Yes, my husband is favouring the deck paint stuff - the non-slip tough coating, but that's a lot more work. You'd have to powerwash or sandblast off the peeling stain, make it debris-free, then apply the coating. I don't know if this is the right season for that due to imminent rain. My method would cost a bit more, with the plywood and duradek, but I think it'd last longer. It's his decision, though, since he'd be paying for it.

Thanks for you input. Good to know the coating lasts that long.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 11:09 am
I'd be against putting any kind of one piece sheeting across board on a deck where I live and if you have rain and snow issue, water flow is important.

There's a reason for those gaps.
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:52 am
@Mame,
I built a home North of Lake Tahoe and typically had three or four feet of snow most of the winter. I assume the frame work holding up your deck is in good condition. I would remove the existing deck boards and install composite deck boards that require no painting or maintenance. Before you install the deck boards put "FortifiFlash" waterproofing membrane strips just a little wider than the 2"x 6" deck supports on the top of each support board. This waterproofing will allow the water and snow to fall between the deck board gaps but shed off the support boards that are typically doug fir. Keeps the structure from being damaged by the weather. I moved after nine years and the deck looked like the day it was built with no maintenance.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 08:57 am
@bahtah,
Good points, bahtah (and punkey).
0 Replies