Does " has been identified around the world" mean ...?

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 10:30 am
Does " has been identified around the world" mean " has been confirmed by today's scientists around the world"?

Context:

Beginning about 230 million years ago, dinosaurs domi-
nated the earth. There is now general acceptance that their
reign came to a sudden and catastrophic end approximately 65
million years ago, at the time of the collision of planet Earth
with a large asteroid that fell in the general vicinity of what is
now the Yucatan peninsula. Fine ash kicked up by this horren-
dous collision has been identified around the world, and the
catastrophic climate changes that occurred from this vast
amount of dust in the atmosphere apparently were too much
for the dominant dinosaur species, leading to their demise and
the subsequent rise of mammals.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 747 • Replies: 9
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 10:35 am
@oristarA,
Not exactly, Ori. It means that the substance has been found around
contrex

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 10:40 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
It means that the substance has been found around

... around the world, that is.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 10:51 am
@contrex,
I wondered Con whether Ori might address my artful alliteration
contrex

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 11:27 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

I wondered Con whether Ori might address my artful alliteration

I don't see any alliteration in your previous post.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 11:45 am
@contrex,
"found around"
Quote:
▸ noun: use of the same consonant at the beginning of each stressed syllable in a line of verse

http://onelook.com/?w=alliteration&ls=a

Okay Con so it's a stretch

Quote:
Repetition of consonant sounds in two or more neighbouring words or syllables.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alliteration

Well, closer

Maybe you can supply the more nearly exact term I was looking for
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 12:51 pm
Round around demonstrates rhyme, as far as I can see.
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 04:20 am
@oristarA,
Yes, that is what it means (since no one else seems interested in answering your question). Specifically, it refers to the iridium layer. Iridium is a very rare element, but there is a layer of iridium found in extraordinarily high concentrations (about 100 times the normal distribution of iridium) in clay formations around the world. Geological markers (i.e., rock formations which can be reliably dated) put the age of the iridium layer (also known as the iridium anomaly) at about 65 million years before the present. This is known as the "K-T" boundary, meaning the boundary between the Cretaceous period and the Tertiary period (those are the names of geological periods). This was discovered by a team of physicists lead by Luis Alvarez and his son Walter, in about 1980. There was a very acrimonious debate in the geological and physics community about this, especially as the Alvarez' put this forward as evidence of a major meteor impact which was responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs. In about 1990, after Luis Alvarez had died, a gigantic impact crater was identified in the sea near Chicxulub in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico. Alvarez was a brilliant experimental physicist, who had access to the equipment, labs and other physicists necessary to test the hypothesis (actually proposed by his son). Iridium is much more common in the composition of some meteors than it is on earth, and the iridium layer also contains microscopic diamonds, stressed quartz, soot and many other pieces of physical evidence of great pressure and temperature.

The iridium anomaly, or the iridium layer, is what is referred to in the passage you quoted when it writes of fine ash.
oristarA

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 10:05 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yes, that is what it means (since no one else seems interested in answering your question). Specifically, it refers to the iridium layer. Iridium is a very rare element, but there is a layer of iridium found in extraordinarily high concentrations (about 100 times the normal distribution of iridium) in clay formations around the world. Geological markers (i.e., rock formations which can be reliably dated) put the age of the iridium layer (also known as the iridium anomaly) at about 65 million years before the present. This is known as the "K-T" boundary, meaning the boundary between the Cretaceous period and the Tertiary period (those are the names of geological periods). This was discovered by a team of physicists lead by Luis Alvarez and his son Walter, in about 1980. There was a very acrimonious debate in the geological and physics community about this, especially as the Alvarez' put this forward as evidence of a major meteor impact which was responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs. In about 1990, after Luis Alvarez had died, a gigantic impact crater was identified in the sea near Chicxulub in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico. Alvarez was a brilliant experimental physicist, who had access to the equipment, labs and other physicists necessary to test the hypothesis (actually proposed by his son). Iridium is much more common in the composition of some meteors than it is on earth, and the iridium layer also contains microscopic diamonds, stressed quartz, soot and many other pieces of physical evidence of great pressure and temperature.

The iridium anomaly, or the iridium layer, is what is referred to in the passage you quoted when it writes of fine ash.

Excellent!
dalehileman

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 10:46 am
@oristarA,
I agree Ori, Set is a most formidable scholar. However I'd disagree that

Quote:
(….no one else seems interested in answering your question)

..as I supposed I had, however lacking in erudition, in #……059
0 Replies