Does "the capacities" mean "natural evil"?

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 07:37 am
And "t is necessary that organisms go out of existence for others to come into it" mean "t is necessary that organisms go out of existence for others to come into the existence"?

Context:

Natural evil as necessity[edit source | editbeta]The natural-evil-as-necessity argument is meant to be a response to the classic philosophical argument of the Problem of Evil, which contends that an all-powerful, all-knowing and beneficent God cannot exist as such because natural evil (mudslides which crush the legs of innocent children, for instance) occurs. Peacocke contends that the capacities necessary for consciousness and thus a relationship with God also enable their possessors to experience pain, as necessary for identifying injury and disease. Preventing the experience of pain would prevent the possibility of consciousness. Peacocke also takes an eastern argument for natural evil of that which made must be unmade for a new making to occur; there is no creation without destruction. To Peacocke, it is necessary that organisms go out of existence for others to come into it. Thus, pain, suffering and death are necessary evils in a universe which will result in beings capable of having a relationship with God. God is said to suffer with His creation because He loves creation, conforming the deity to be consistent with the Christian God.

More:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Peacocke

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 08:03 am
N0t necessarily. Perhaps Peacocke termed it that way to explain the suffering and death which is entailed in natural processes. Then again, i cannot presonally speak to Mr. Peacocke's beliefs. The capacities, it appears to me from this text, simply mean the ability to suffer, and to recognize pain as a symptom of injury or disease. I don't see that that portion is described as evil. It is the subsequent passage about species extinction which you have associated with capacities, and i don't think that's warranted.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 10:30 am
Peacocke contends that (human beings have the capacity0 necessary for consciousness . . .

To Peacocke, it is necessary that (humans )go out of existence for others to come into it.

0 Replies