Republicans absent from March on Washington

Baldimo

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 05:24 pm
@Arjunakki,
I guess we agree Arj. I just wondered why they couldn't invite successful black men who are conservative. They have stories to tell of that are just as good as the liberals who were invited.

An event like this shouldn't have been political. Would MLK have said not to invite them because they were from the opposite political party?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 05:33 pm
@Baldimo,
You very clearly don't know very much about the March on Washington. It was a very political event that was designed to push forward a specific agenda that included voting rights and a living wage.

Martin Luther King fought against people he disagreed with. He called them "racists" and stood up against them and spoke out against them. King never had a message saying "accept every viewpoint". Quite contrary, he stood up for the right and directly opposed the people he believed were in the wrong.

There was no one at the original March on Washington 50 years ago who opposed voting rights. Why should the commemoration be any different?

You really know very little about the real Martin Luther King, who wrote in 1964.

Martin Luther King wrote:
I had no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that did not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 06:11 pm
@maxdancona,
I understand what the March was about, but 50 years later and people such as yourself still want to act like the world hasn't changed. This is the anniversary of the March and it shouldn't have been political. I could see not inviting an Uncle Tom, after all isn't that what you call a black person who sides with the master over his fellow slaves, if they were to do a new March on Washington, but the Anniversary should be a celebration and the chance for minorities to talk about their success's in America since the original march, the strides. Oh wait they did do that but you had to be a liberal black person. No Uncle Toms allowed, its only one view of how things are now, not how they really are. Like I said, you guys are full of **** when you talk about acceptance and tolerance. I for one don't see it as a genuine statement, but more political posturing.

If you are referring to the voter ID laws then we will have to disagree. I do not see how voter ID laws target poor minorities. There are poor white people out there as well and they would be just as effected as the minorities. After all most poor white people are racist republicans from the south are they not? So do you really think the GOP politicians would pass laws that would prevent their own voters from voting? That doesn't make sense, they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

A majority of states have free ID's or reduced price ID for lower income people. I know for a fact my state even has a dept in the DMV that does research for people, mostly elderly looking for birth records or other such things to prove identity, so that they can get ID's if they have never had one before.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 07:23 pm
@Baldimo,
What gives you the right to say what the Anniversary should or shouldn't be about?

There are people, like John Lewis for example, who were there and were deeply involved in the movement that is being commemorated. I think they have much of a right to say what the commemoration should be about.

The civil rights movement is about seeing injustice in society and standing up against people who are wrong. That is what Martin Luther King did and the reason he died. Any commemoration that doesn't support his legacy would be meaningless.

Do you know that the Voting Rights Act, a portion of which was just overturned by the supreme court after being challenged by Republican lead state legislatures, was one of the primary goals of the March on Washington and one of the most important successes of the civil rights movement.

Maybe you don't agree with the Voting Rights Act, but you should understand that to anyone who was part the March on Washington, the current attack on Voting Rights is a personal affront.

Do you know who John Lewis is? He was a close personal friend of Martin Luther King and a hero of the civil rights movement who shed blood and faced death at his side. He expresses the views of the people who were at Martin Luther King's side through the 1960s.

Quote:
Voting Rights are under attack in America. There is a deliberate and systematic attempt to prevent millions of elderly voters, young voters, students, minority and low-income voters from exercising their constitutional right to engage in a democratic process.

You can disagree with this opinion. But you can't pretend that the Civil Rights movement wasn't about protecting voting rights, nor can you demand that a commemoration of the Civil Rights Movement not continue the struggle for voting rights.
JTT

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 10:09 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
but 50 years later and people such as yourself still want to act like the world hasn't changed.

And people like you want to cling to the ludicrous notion that 50 years have fixed things up just dandy.

You are of that group of people who have heaped death and destruction on millions of innocents as payback for perceived wrongs. You are of that group of people who have taken part in war crimes and terrorism to advance US economic interests.

The world hasn't changed. The US is still the predacious rogue nation it has always been.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 11:28 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Lincoln wouldn't be a Republican if he were alive today. The party has done a total 180 from what they were when he was one.

Nonsense.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 11:35 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Martin Luther King fought against people he disagreed with. He called them "racists" and stood up against them and spoke out against them. King never had a message saying "accept every viewpoint". Quite contrary, he stood up for the right and directly opposed the people he believed were in the wrong.

While he may have believed in leftist economic theories in addition to his opposition to racism, I highly doubt that Martin Luther King would have called someone a racist if they merely disagreed with his economic ideals -- especially if that person stood with him when it came to opposing racism.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 11:38 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
What gives you the right to say what the Anniversary should or shouldn't be about?

Well, since it seems that the anniversary was all about celebration of Liberal extremism and not about opposition to racism, it was entirely appropriate for Republicans to ignore the festivities.

If the event had been about opposing racism instead of celebrating Liberal extremism, there would have been more Republicans there than Democrats.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 11:40 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Quote:
Event organizers said Wednesday that they invited top Republicans, all of whom declined to attend because of scheduling conflicts or ill health

Right, the all-purpose excuse "scheduling conflicts or ill health"--every single one of them. They had a Tea Party they had to attend. Ev ery single one of them. Probably kissed a few million votes goodbye right there.

I doubt any Republican lost any votes for not bothering to attend a celebration of Liberal extremism.
0 Replies