Frightening!

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 02:28 am
Stumbled across this report into a few of the largely-unreported horrifying and costly-to-troops and taxpayers results of Bush's invasions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1184922,00.html

By the way, at least five more American soldiers died in Iraq yesterday.

The good news being that none were related to Bush, Rumsfeld, Chaney or Rice. Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,395 • Replies: 58
No top replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 02:40 am
Fact
I know from personal experience that the Military does not give a damn about it's troops. They are merely GIs-Government Property to be used.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:56 am
That is a lie, and an insult to veterans past and present. And you should be ashamed of yourself for saying it.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 04:00 am
It may be just his experience..:-)
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 04:08 am
Well I had a bad experience or two in the military also, but I would never say that it doesn't care for its people.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:03 am
Witness
I have seen fellow troops extend acts of kindness and protection but mainly the upper brass don't give a damn!

For sure this Govt. doesn't give a damn about the troops!

No! I am not ashamed of telling the truth the way I saw it.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:16 am
Let's get real here. If the government didn't care about its troops, there would be no medical facilities and no assistance programs and no training and the salaries would be much lower. Even back in the 70s when I was in the Navy there were all sorts of things available to help a sailor and his wife. These days the military is much more touchy-feely and concerned with preventing smoking and drinking and sexual harrassment and all the other stuff that makes liberals happy. So there's no way anyone can say the Defense Department doesn't take care of its own.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:01 am
John:

It's clear the number of troops needed in Iraq was grossly underestimated by the Bush neocons.

At this point, they're desperate to find personnel any way they can. Between the injured, the depressed, and fatiqued, I have even heard the occassional call for a return to a draft.

But rest assured, when the sons of white, conservative lawmakers in the Congress are drafted and sent into Bush's guerilla war in Iraq, support for this sad neocon folly will begin to weaken.

It's Vietnam redux.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:31 am
As quoted by Titus:

This is so much more important than all of the other topics in today's news. The Shiites were supposed to be anti-Saddam and thus by some logical extention friendly to the U.S. It apparently isn't so.

Getting the troops out of Iraq will end the waste of American lives, but will--I think--start the bloodbath associated with civil war.

The US govt, especially lead by GW Bush, doesn't give a rats ass about the troops...especially the female soldiers who have been assaulted and raped.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:23 am
Tarantulas wrote:
That is a lie, and an insult to veterans past and present. And you should be ashamed of yourself for saying it.

Tarantula, the military you knew does not exist any longer. Care for dependents and retirees is almost non-existent, and is essentially fee for service. Instead of throwing a temper tantrum and shouting "liar," why don't you find evidence to refute Titus' article?
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:26 am
doglover wrote:
As quoted by Titus:

This is so much more important than all of the other topics in today's news. The Shiites were supposed to be anti-Saddam and thus by some logical extention friendly to the U.S. It apparently isn't so.

Getting the troops out of Iraq will end the waste of American lives, but will--I think--start the bloodbath associated with civil war.

The US govt, especially lead by GW Bush, doesn't give a rats ass about the troops...especially the female soldiers who have been assaulted and raped.

So very true, but if we get out, we lose the control of the oil and his big business buddies that are willing to put civilian contractors in harm's way to make a buck lose all that money.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:28 am
Tarantulas wrote:
Let's get real here. If the government didn't care about its troops, there would be no medical facilities and no assistance programs and no training and the salaries would be much lower.

Medical care for anyone other than active duty service members was cut dramatically under the first Bush administration. Specialty care began to be outsourced to civillian physicians about the same time.

Quote:
Even back in the 70s when I was in the Navy there were all sorts of things available to help a sailor and his wife.

those resources have been regularly eroded since Bush I.

Quote:
These days the military is much more touchy-feely and concerned with preventing smoking and drinking and sexual harrassment and all the other stuff that makes liberals happy.

The sexual assault problem in the military is but one of many factors that contradicts your comment.

Quote:
So there's no way anyone can say the Defense Department doesn't take care of its own.

Anyone who expects the military to have his or her best interest at heart is at best woefully naive.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:11 am
Sadly, I fear American troops will remain in Iraq for a generation and the body bags will pile up higher and higher and higher, until Americans say "enough."

The carnage in Irag will be Bush's legacy.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:32 pm
Tarantulas wrote:

I'm not certain he HAS any shame.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 07:26 am
hobitbob wrote:
Tarantula, the military you knew does not exist any longer. Care for dependents and retirees is almost non-existent, and is essentially fee for service. Instead of throwing a temper tantrum and shouting "liar," why don't you find evidence to refute Titus' article?

Bullshit. I am a retiree and I have a dependent. You have ZERO clue what the hell you are talking about.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 07:30 am
*sigh*
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 11:18 am
fishin' wrote:
hobitbob wrote:

Bullshit. I am a retiree and I have a dependent. You have ZERO clue what the hell you are talking about.

Considering I was one of those whose job it was to take care of those retirees, I beg to differ. PS, at lerast ptretend to be polite, yes? Exposing your lack of character is not a wise idea.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 11:54 am
<*sigh*> indeed. Oh, well, anybody who wants to find out more about Military Dependent and Retiree Healthcare should take the time to thoroughly examine This Website, chasing down links there as well. Having done so, one then will have some idea of what one is talking about in regard to the issue, as opposed to simply going along with the opinions of folks who tell folks what they want to hear about the issue. Otherwise, absent the facts, the direct referential material, one simply does not know what one is talking about whether or not one agrees with folks who would have folks think they know what they're talking about. Endorsing someone elses opinion, on the basis of its congruence with one's own preconceptions, is not at all the same as drawing one's own conclusions from examination of the available facts and data. Easier, sure, but not at all the same.

Pesky things, facts are; often they screw up perfectly comforting assumptions.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 11:57 am
I don't have any idea what you're talking about there, t-bird... :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 11:58 am
Laughing
0 Replies