suesq

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 01:49 pm
We had some storms come through and my dusk to dawn light went out and my fan and lights at the lake house don't work either. I flipped all the circuit breakers in all my breakers boxes - that's all I know to do with electrical stuff! :-) What could be wrong? Do I need an electrician?

dalehileman

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 02:33 pm
@suesq,
Sue the "modern" breaker can be frustrating on at least two counts: 1) Even when it appears to be on it might still be off. Believe it or not, Even if you flip it to OFF then back ON, it might remain off 'til you do it again but more forcefully

2) Immediately after an overload that switches it off, heating of its interior also may prevent you from restoring power and you won't be able to do so for some time til it's cooled down
suesq

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 06:23 pm
@dalehileman,
thanks! I'll give it a try! :-)
0 Replies

roger

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:49 pm
I consider the possiblilty the power went off during the storm, and has yet to be restored. In that case, flipping breakers won't help, and be very careful how you determine there is, or is not power to the service head.
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 08:19 pm
@suesq,
Are you saying that you have power in some sections of the house but not others and not others?

- If these are outside circuits (like your dusk to dawn light) you may have tripped the GFI circuit. Look for your GFI outlet and press the reset button.
- If all the dead outlets are on one circuit breaker, it could be a bad circuit breaker. You can look up how to fix it on Youtube.
- If all the dead outlets and circuits are on several breakers, but they all are on the same side of the breaker panel, you likely have lost one phase of your incoming house power. You will need to power company to fix that.
0 Replies

suesq

Sat 24 Aug, 2013 06:15 pm
thanks for all the help! I'm overwhelmed by the wonderful people here! I'm pretty sure that they're all on one breaker so I think it may be that it needs replacing. I've looked everywhere for a red button with no luck. I really hate to but I think I'll call an electrician - better safe than sorry and I'm afraid of electricity...
suesq

Sat 24 Aug, 2013 06:19 pm
I just thought that the purpose of a circuit breaker was to trip and cut the power BEFORE any damage could be done - didn't know it would have to give its life to do it but I'm thankful there wasn't a fire or electronic equipment damage or something worse :-)...
contrex

Sun 25 Aug, 2013 02:43 am
@suesq,
suesq wrote:
I just thought that the purpose of a circuit breaker was to trip and cut the power BEFORE any damage could be done - didn't know it would have to give its life to do it

If the fault is a small one they just trip, but a big short circuit can knock a breaker out or make it malfunction afterwards.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Sun 25 Aug, 2013 11:37 am
@suesq,
Quote:
I'm overwhelmed by the wonderful people here!
It is remarkable isn't it how many of us have some background in this sort of thing

Quote:
…..didn't know it would have to give its life….
Actually Sue it shouldn't
contrex

Sun 25 Aug, 2013 11:53 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
…..didn't know it would have to give its life….
Actually Sue it shouldn't

Actually, dahileman, a nearby lightning strike, especially if it hit a power line, can knock out all kinds of electrical equipment nearby or even some distance away, including domestic circuit breakers, which are (necessarily) somewhat sensitive. The OP specifically mentioned a storm. Also a very severe short circuit can damage a breaker as it trips. An equally possible alternative cause is that the breaker is fine, and is doing its job, and that a surge caused by a lightning strike has caused damage to power or ground wiring or connected equipment in the "lake house" mentioned, which will likely be at the end of a spur from the house. Whatever the reason, an electrician will have to be called in.

dalehileman

Sun 25 Aug, 2013 11:55 am
@contrex,
Yea Con, having mayhap misunderstood the context I readily concede
0 Replies

gensetservices

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 12:09 am
@suesq,
Brother i think its a serious issue of load bearing may be. Call an electrician ASAP before your generator simply conks off.
0 Replies