If you had to pick one all-time favorite movie...

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 04:48 pm
@vonny,
I'm sorry, I like the music in West Side Story, but watching supposed NYC street thugs prance about town always made me laugh. No one in this movie looked even a little tough, let alone menacing.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 04:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
For once I totally agree with you, Finn. Bernstein's score for West Side Story is great. The movie version of the play,however, lacks a certain...uh... shall we say, credibility? And that Jets scene, in particular, is beyond risible. I have played the DVD for a classroom full of convicted juvenile delinquents more than once; in each instance, the reaction was one of hilarity,particularly in the case of that "When you're a Jet" scene. Every one of those chorus lads looks like a poster boy for gay rights.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 06:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Actually this isn't the first time you agreed with me, but for some reason you have to constantly preface your expressed agreements with a quasi-disclaimer.

It doesn't surprise me that we will occasionally agree upon things, and I have to wonder why it does you.

In any case, we are in complete agreement on this score (no pun intended).

Musicals of that period, and before, had a hard time reflecting violence, and especially so in terms of choreography. But they played to the audience of the time.

Perhaps Sondheim took a lesson from West Side Story. No one will accuse anyone who has played Sweeny Todd of being a "chorus lad."
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 01:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
As opposed to the terrifying Montagues and Capulets.
najmelliw

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 09:46 am
In response to OP, it depends on the mood. The movie I saw most recently which made an incredibly deep impression on me is Lilya 4-ever by Lukas Moodysson. Sad as heck though.
BillRM

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:01 am
@najmelliw,
Quote:
In response to OP, it depends on the mood.

True I ran into the romance comedy Notting Hill when I was in a very romance mood with my wedding anniversary upcoming and it hit me hard.

A story of an average man by sheer random fluke meeting and in the end marrying a Hollywood goddess.

My wife is not a Hollywood starlet but she is far far more then I ever dream of meeting and marrying so the movie did impact me.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:21 am
@najmelliw,
Welcome back View najmelliw. Quite a long time/no read. Lily 4-ever is infamous for having a very difficult to watch reputation because its so bleak.
najmelliw

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Thank you tsarstepan. I am intending to post more from here on out. Smile

Yes, it's incredibly bleak. But that makes the message all that much harder to forget, imho. I've seen plenty of other movies I'd also consider already mentioned, but this one isn't there. And I personally felt it deserves mentioning.

@BillRM - Sounds like a happy marriage to me! Notting Hill is a great movie, but while I enjoy romcom's immensely, I don;t think one of them would ever become my favourite movie of all time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Chinatown was the movie that mentioned Florsheim in the script, "damn Florsheim" as he stamped his feet. I loved it!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 01:40 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

As opposed to the terrifying Montagues and Capulets.

Well, I guess that depends upon the quality and nature of the performance of the play you observed.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 01:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
So Shakespeare terrifies you.

Can't say I'm surprised.
0 Replies

horatiohornblower

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 08:21 am
Fight Club...but I'm not allowed to talk about it...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 01:43 am
Royal Tenenbaums
Far From the Madding Crowd
The Big Lebowski
Annie Hall
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 04:11 am
Aliens (the second in the series with the marine squad) is classic sci-fi at it's best and even better than the first one.
0 Replies

nazia08

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 04:36 am
True Romance.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 11:45 am
Ok, so this isn't an all time favorite movie, but this is certainly one of my all time favorite scenes.

I watched the movie "Angel Heart" again last night on netflix. The first time I watched it years ago I was totally freaked out by the end. This time I was able to watch it with the hindsight of knowing story line, and was able to examine why some scenes, especially those with no blood or violence, were so frightening, or at least eerie.

This scene here with Robert DeNiro playing Louise Cypher (get it?) is so low key, but so chilling.
Every clink of a chip of the egg falling on the plate, the torturous peeling, the final bite....scary stuff. Even choosing and lifting of a particular egg out of the group had me thinking "don't pick me, don't pick me"

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:57 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Ok, so this isn't an all time favorite movie, but this is certainly one of my all time favorite scenes.

I watched the movie "Angel Heart" again last night on netflix. The first time I watched it years ago I was totally freaked out by the end. This time I was able to watch it with the hindsight of knowing story line, and was able to examine why some scenes, especially those with no blood or violence, were so frightening, or at least eerie.

This scene here with Robert DeNiro playing Louise Cypher (get it?) is so low key, but so chilling.
Every clink of a chip of the egg falling on the plate, the torturous peeling, the final bite....scary stuff. Even choosing and lifting of a particular egg out of the group had me thinking "don't pick me, don't pick me"

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQfiuHK_U84[/youtube]

And to think...

...my favorite scene involved Lisa Bonnet!

Whew!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 01:23 pm
@vonny,
I liked Das Boot.. not right at my top ten but up there.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 01:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Just reread the thread, enjoy it.

Have thought of others - I never mentioned Kurasawa's Seven Samurai, or Dodeskaden, or even Tampopo by Itami (the cowboy and the noodlemaker). I never mentioned Bread and Chocolate, which I've probably seen 4 or 5 times, dir. Ettore Scola, set in Switzerland, travails and joys of an italian guy trying to be a waiter during hard times, plus some romance. I think I liked it slightly less the fifth time. Riso Amaro.. oh, there's just too many.
A movie in french with Philippe Noiret, forget title. Maybe The Pawnbroker.
Several other movies in french.

Edit - Adam Sandler is unwatchable.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 01:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

And to think...

...my favorite scene involved Lisa Bonnet!

Whew!

Oh yeah, she was a hot little piece.

Coulda had bigger tits though.

I'm just sayin'.