If I Say I Am a Martian, then Am I?

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 05:58 pm
Keeping in mind that Mr Manning says that he is now a Mrs and news organizations fall all over themselves to inform us that this human is now a woman, how far does my ability to decide for you what I am go. I am just curious, as I have always wanted to be a Martian and now maybe I can be.

Thanks in advance for the help in living the dream.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 06:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't have any problem with that. I don't see how it is my business how you choose to live your life. Your martianness doesn't hurt me at all, why should I care?

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 06:31 pm
certain things make sense now--I've often thought your thinking was strangely inhuman. Now I know why. But OmSigDavid has said that he was so odd growing up that his mother told him she thought he must be a Martian. Are you sure you wand him for your fellow countryman, or is that planetman? Maybe you should be a Venusian. If you can handle the fact that men are from Mars and women from Venus.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 07:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't have any problem with that. I don't see how it is my business how you choose to live your life. Your martianness doesn't hurt me at all, why should I care?

there are the matters of standards and of words having fixed meaning, you know, tools required to sustain civilization. the measurement of immediate harm to individuals is not the end all be all.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 08:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Which civilization are you talking about? Since you are Martian, I would think the rules of Martian Civilization would apply. I don't see why I should judge in either case.

You should know that here on Earth we have learned to be accepting of different beings, as long as you don't hurt anyone.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 10:00 pm
You can be whatever you want to be, just don't expect me to pay for it.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 10:47 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

You can be whatever you want to be, just don't expect me to pay for it.

presumably you are speaking of dollar payments only, which is extremely small bore. I'll bet you can't look around trees and notice the forest either.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 11:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't know what planet you do come from but I hope becoming a Martian will be a step forward for you. I don't know much about Martians but at least Mars is close to Earth - if you try a little harder maybe you will aspire to being human one day. We can only live in hope.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 11:41 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Pearlylustre wrote:

I don't know what planet you do come from but I hope becoming a Martian will be a step forward for you. I don't know much about Martians but at least Mars is close to Earth - if you try a little harder maybe you will aspire to being human one day. We can only live in hope.

given what appears to be humans iffy grasp on reality I am not sure I should aspire to be human. It is difficult to see any future with a life form that seems to have decided that reality is what ever it wants it to be. no wonder science is in such trouble, the idea that there is truth separated from human brain generated fantasy seems to not widely held.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 08:46 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
no wonder science is in such trouble,

Science in trouble? I would say our science is doing just fine! We mapped the human genome and found the Higgs boson. And we all now carry around communication devices that link hundreds of millions of us together.

And those robots rolling around up on your planet? We put them there.

You have a lot of nerve saying that the science on Earth is in trouble.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 09:20 am
@hawkeye10,
One can say one is a Martian; however, to not just be a poseur Martian, one needs to be officially recognized by the Inter-Stellar Organization of Immigration (ISOI). Sorry, to rain on your parade, but there are quotas for inter-stellar immigrants. However, if one can prove they have been persecuted for being an Earthling, one can apply for inter-stellar asylum, though.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 11:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
This says it all (as far as I'm concerned)

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/356501/bradley-manning-not-woman-kevin-d-williamson
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 12:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
on a related note
Quote:
California on Monday became the first state to enshrine certain rights for transgender kindergarten-through-12th grade students in state law, requiring public schools to allow those students access to whichever restroom and locker room they want.

Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown announced that he had signed AB1266, which also will allow transgender students to choose whether they want to play boys' or girls' sports. The new law gives students the right "to participate in sex-segregated programs, activities and facilities" based on their self-perception and regardless of their birth gender.

"In reality, this is about the safety of our trans students," Ben Hudson ofthe Gender Health Center told CBS Sacramento affiliate KOVR in May. He said transgender students must have the same opportunities all boys and girls to succeed in school

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57598231/california-law-allows-transgender-students-to-pick-bathrooms-sports-teams-they-identify-with/

just so we are clear, " must have the same opportunities all boys and girls to succeed in school" now means that all kids must be able to pick which team they play on and which bathrooms they use, not just those who claim to be sexually confused. I am waiting for the **** storm that happens when some guy demands to live in a womens dorm at UCLA claiming to be sexually confused. Me thinks that the feminists will have second thoughts about signing up to support these whack job "transgender rights" advocates.
Foofie

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:02 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I am waiting for the **** storm that happens when some guy demands to live in a womens dorm at UCLA claiming to be sexually confused. Me thinks that the feminists will have second thoughts about signing up to support these whack job "transgender rights" advocates.

If you give credence to this country having different social mores, in different regions, then your point above will only be correct, or partially correct, in certain places. I believe in schools that pride itself in focussing on academic achievement, and not necessarily what the sports teams have done (in my opinion), then students just ignore social changes that they have not grown up with. In my opinion, many people's attitudes, about many social issues, are just obsolete/archaic in more than a few universities.

But, you can take umbrage if you like. At least you won't get low blood pressure by taking umbrage over things that might reflect a changing society that you are not comfortable with.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:05 am
@Foofie,
not all change is good, so you are going to have to work a little harder if you want to advance this topic.
0 Replies