I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

igm

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 04:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

igm wrote:

I don't know how you've come to some of your conclusions but you haven't asked any questions about Buddhism. If you have any please ask... if not then good evening.

Why would I ask you about Buddhism...when you asked me to question your "beliefs?"

You have read your own thread...right?

Yes, here it is... the title I gave needed explaining and here it is i.e. my OP:

Anyone can question anything that the Buddha taught and if I am able to answer I will. It will be my interpretation of those teachings and it may not be the only interpretation, therefore other Buddhists may disagree with my interpretation.

I can't comment however, on why some other Buddhists, sometimes contradict the Buddha's teachings, leading to actions that may appear to be wrong.

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/220485-1
Frank Apisa

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 04:26 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

igm wrote:

I don't know how you've come to some of your conclusions but you haven't asked any questions about Buddhism. If you have any please ask... if not then good evening.

Why would I ask you about Buddhism...when you asked me to question your "beliefs?"

You have read your own thread...right?

Yes, here it is... the title I gave needed explaining and here it is i.e. my OP:

Anyone can question anything that the Buddha taught and if I am able to answer I will. It will be my interpretation of those teachings and it may not be the only interpretation, therefore other Buddhists may disagree with my interpretation.

I can't comment however, on why some other Buddhists, sometimes contradict the Buddha's teachings, leading to actions that may appear to be wrong.

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/220485-1

Fine!

But I am not interested in your interpretation of what the Buddha taught…I am interested in your beliefs. My first question dealt with that…”why do you think the teachings of the Buddha are important?”

You say the Buddha attained "enlightenment." You have indicated that the Buddha could teach others how to do so.

You have suggested that attaining “enlightenment” means to end suffering.

I am suggesting that "enlightenment" may be an illusion...similar to the apparent illusion of miraculous revelation so often found in Catholicism.

I am also suggesting that your acceptance of the enlightenment of the Buddha and of his ability to suggest ways for you (igm) to attain it also…is nothing but pure belief (guesswork.)

Comment on that, igm.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 09:18 pm
There are several of these threads and they all tend to end up in the same place. Frank thinks all acceptance of anything is faith, which is a blind guess. I guess that is hard to refute, but wonder what can be accepted as fact. I 'believe' the teachings of the Buddha are true because they pass my rational tests. They make 'sense' to me. Simple common sense. To me, this is different than other religions. When I apply common sense to other claims by other religions they fail the test. So to me, there is a difference. Now, certainly one can find similar magical stories in Buddhist teachings, but I think those are simple metaphors, that were used extensively for teaching in that time period. Perhaps the stories in the bible are the same. But that is to say, not the word of God. I accept the teachings of the Buddha as the truth, because I cannot refute them. They have helped me understand my own behavior and motivations and I think have helped me to become aware in a much more basic sense. I do have faith in the Buddha's teachings, his teachings have proved useful to me and following them seem to me to be the right path. Just as I accepted the basic rules of mathematics and logic, because they worked. I don't necessarily expect others to understand this and if they want to wander about without understanding that's their choice.

I don't think it is possible to explain how the teachings can make one more aware without someone being willing to learn to meditate and study for some time. If one doesn't have sufficient desire to do that, that is fine. But you can't get to an understanding without some study. Just as you can't become a mathematician without learning the process. If you don't want to become a Buddhist or a mathematician that is fine, but it doesn't mean either is invalid.
BillRM

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 09:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Golf can do that; tennis can do that; poker can do that; knitting can do that; movie going can do that; charity work can do that; education can do that; public service can do that; drugs can do that; killing other people can do that...and you get the picture.

You are getting old to leave out sex with a hot and eager partner.
Frank Apisa

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:17 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

There are several of these threads and they all tend to end up in the same place. Frank thinks all acceptance of anything is faith, which is a blind guess. I guess that is hard to refute, but wonder what can be accepted as fact. I 'believe' the teachings of the Buddha are true because they pass my rational tests. They make 'sense' to me. Simple common sense. To me, this is different than other religions. When I apply common sense to other claims by other religions they fail the test. So to me, there is a difference. Now, certainly one can find similar magical stories in Buddhist teachings, but I think those are simple metaphors, that were used extensively for teaching in that time period. Perhaps the stories in the bible are the same. But that is to say, not the word of God. I accept the teachings of the Buddha as the truth, because I cannot refute them. They have helped me understand my own behavior and motivations and I think have helped me to become aware in a much more basic sense. I do have faith in the Buddha's teachings, his teachings have proved useful to me and following them seem to me to be the right path. Just as I accepted the basic rules of mathematics and logic, because they worked. I don't necessarily expect others to understand this and if they want to wander about without understanding that's their choice.

I don't think it is possible to explain how the teachings can make one more aware without someone being willing to learn to meditate and study for some time. If one doesn't have sufficient desire to do that, that is fine. But you can't get to an understanding without some study. Just as you can't become a mathematician without learning the process. If you don't want to become a Buddhist or a mathematician that is fine, but it doesn't mean either is invalid.

Frank

I agree with almost everything you wrote here and your post has made me want to talk about myself more than I usually do.

I also am dedicated to making myself more aware of self and perceived surroundings…and have engaged in several consciousness expanding activities.

I consider the notion of “expanding consciousness” to be valuable…and whenever I encounter people who claim to be on that same train, I ask about their trip to see if there is anything that can be gleaned to help me on my personal trek.

I’ve often observed that I consider myself more a Christian than most Christians I encounter. I am beginning to consider myself more a Buddhist than most Buddhists I am encountering.

I also think it is reasonable to share perceived insights with others to hear reactions…and to help assess whether I am tricking myself into accepting “perceived insights” as “insights” without the tremendously involved kind of “doubting” that must accompany these personal introspection activities.

I think I do my sharing with more subtlety than do Christians, JW’s, and Buddhists.

Just saying’.
Frank Apisa

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:18 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Golf can do that; tennis can do that; poker can do that; knitting can do that; movie going can do that; charity work can do that; education can do that; public service can do that; drugs can do that; killing other people can do that...and you get the picture.

You are getting old to leave out sex with a hot and eager partner.

I am getting older with each day that passes.
0 Replies

vikorr

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 04:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
My thoughts on sharing is that it is a two way street...the receiver appreciates the shared item, perhaps because they need it, or perhaps because of the way it is shared - most likely both.

I think it is the above that is the reason that most people dislike JW's and Mormons.

Sharing seems to involve an opening up by the receiver to the gift...that it is viewed as a gift. With ideas, that seems to be dependant on whether the 'shared' idea is truly given as a gift - perhaps with no strings attached (otherwise it isn't really a gift). It also seems to involve accepting gifts in return...and finding the value in those gifts.

I can see that you are giving your views Frank - are you sure you are sharing them?

Of course, having only just really considered this concept (what 'sharing' of beliefs entails), I don't really know if I've got it right...it seems so. Does anyone differ?
igm

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 04:16 am
@Frank Apisa,

Your post to IRFRANK sounds good Frank... but I haven't seen any of this 'sharing'... but are any of your comments... comments about you? Or are they comments about what you'd like people who read this post to think about you?

Perhaps you could post some of your replies which show this 'sharing' as I've missed them.. I can only recall questions about the title of this thread which because you hadn't understood the OP you misunderstood.

So, nice words Frank... now let's see at least from now on... more than just those nice words... in my opinion... which could just be used to garner support and make you appear as someone nice and thoughtful whom I don't recognize from your previous posts.

igm

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 07:51 am
@vikorr,
I can't argue with anything you've said in your post... and wouldn't want to... to me it is sound advice.
0 Replies

Chumly

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 09:48 am
@igm,
igm wrote:
I'll assume it was all a joke...
Your above post is a non sequitur, as such I redirect you to my post: # 5,417,308 and await your reasoned response (without much likelihood of success it would appear). Further an emphasis on the logical fallacy argumentum ad nauseam plus the logical fallacy red herring serve only to the disadvantage of your declarations.
IRFRANK

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 11:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I also am dedicated to making myself more aware of self and perceived surroundings…and have engaged in several consciousness expanding activities.

I don't think that is the same thing as awareness in a Buddhist sense, but of course I can't know what your experiences have been. My interpretation is that one needs to see things clearly and not colored by emotions and desires. This requires some understanding and discipline, obtained by meditation and training. I don't question your experiences, just explaining that to me it requires some work to reach awareness.

Quote:
I’ve often observed that I consider myself more a Christian than most Christians I encounter. I am beginning to consider myself more a Buddhist than most Buddhists I am encountering.

I try not to compare myself to others, especially when it comes to religion. Judgment is not a positive attribute of any religion. But, it is a natural human activity. I'm not sure how I would know that I was a better Buddhist than another Buddhist. It's not a competition. Certainly I see other people and I naturally question their actions, but it's more a question of understanding than judgment.

Quote:
I also think it is reasonable to share perceived insights with others to hear reactions…and to help assess whether I am tricking myself into accepting “perceived insights” as “insights” without the tremendously involved kind of “doubting” that must accompany these personal introspection activities.

I think I do my sharing with more subtlety than do Christians, JW’s, and Buddhists.

I am going out on a limb here and say something I just said I try not to do. Judgment. But understand this place is different in that we often criticize each other. I hope you take this as a part of debate I think we all accept here.

I practice 'doubt' often. I don't accept what I am told without some reasoned analysis. I do have faith in Buddha's teachings, but they also have to make common sense to me, as the Buddha himself has said.

I don't think that you are subtle at all Frank. It is true that many people push their religious beliefs on others, evangelists, etc. I don't know any Buddhists that do that. It is against what I have been taught. We do express our understandings here, but this place is different. I think expressing our beliefs are solicited here.

IRFRANK

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 11:12 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
Of course, having only just really considered this concept (what 'sharing' of beliefs entails), I don't really know if I've got it right...it seems so. Does anyone differ?

I think I see your point. I expect to share my beliefs by expressing them and living according to them. I someone wants to know why I believe what I do, I am happy to share. But, that doesn't give me the expectation that they will agree. While I might be pleased if this interchange leads to their further investigation, it usually does not, and that is ok.
Frank Apisa

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 12:46 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Your post to IRFRANK sounds good Frank... but I haven't seen any of this 'sharing'... but are any of your comments... comments about you? Or are they comments about what you'd like people who read this post to think about you?

Perhaps you could post some of your replies which show this 'sharing' as I've missed them.. I can only recall questions about the title of this thread which because you hadn't understood the OP you misunderstood.

So, nice words Frank... now let's see at least from now on... more than just those nice words... in my opinion... which could just be used to garner support and make you appear as someone nice and thoughtful whom I don't recognize from your previous posts.

That is because I am being subtle. All I can hope is that if the message I've been sharing throughout my time on the Internet finally hits home...you are not fixing a roof or high on a ladder with a chainsaw buzzing.

It is a doozy.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 12:47 pm
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
I don't think that you are subtle at all Frank.

Wink Success is its own reward.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 12:52 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFrank, up to now I have chosen not to participate in this thread because I do not see my personal version of Buddhism as resting on and expressing a system of beliefs, or even ethical rules--regardless of the Buddha' s teachings. For me Buddhism has many versions some with which I do not "resonate" as much as I do with the zen and related meditation oriented versions. I practice zen; I do not believe it. As I see it, Buddhism transcends all dualistic principles of philosophical disciplines, this includes even Indian Buddhism with its tendency to emphasize an elaborate form of logic. Remember that the prinicpal contribution of Buddhism's most famous logician, the Indian sage,Nagarguna, was the demonstration that logic ultimately leads to paradoxes demanding our transcendence of all thought, of all abstract "Truth" in favor of an "enlightenment", viz., a profound unmediated appreciation of concrete experience (of existence for its own sake). This leaves us very little to talk about in the context of debate these forums provide. This I have learned the hard way over the last few years.
That's why I was surprised to read IGM's OP. what daring.
igm

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:09 pm
@Chumly,
Would you like to ask me a question? I'm easy, if not have a good evening.

Your previous posts... I'm not sure what to make of. Obviously my problem not yours.

IRFRANK

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 01:10 pm
@JLNobody,
Yes, thank you.
0 Replies

igm

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:11 pm
I've just posted this on another thread I thought I'd share it here:

igm wrote:

Herald wrote:

Can you find a plausible interpretation for the concept of afterlife?

This is the way I see it... but who knows... and those who do can't prove it...

How to be a Buddhist only matters moment to moment. If there is no end to being conscious of reality then letting go of the misunderstandings about reality will be like glimpsing something that cannot be forgotten. If there is no end to being conscious of reality then this glimpse will never be forgotten even when everything else is... after the transition from one life to the next.

From the world of science the non-ending of life is explained in, 'The Many-Worlds Theory' for example:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/quantum-suicide3.htm

"This is the same case with quantum suicide. When the man pulls the trigger, there are two possible outcomes: the gun either fires or it doesn't. In this case, the man either lives or he dies. Each time the trigger is pulled, the universe splits to accommodate each possible outcome. When the man dies, the universe is no longer able to split based on the pulling of the trigger. The possible outcome for death is reduced to one: continued death. But with life there are still two chances that remain: The man continues living or the man dies.When the man pulls the trigger and the universe is split in two, however, the version of the man who lived will be unaware that in the other version of the split universe, he has died. Instead he will continue to live and will again have the chance to pull the trigger. And each time he does pull the trigger, the universe will again split, with the version of the man who lives continuing on, and being unaware of all of his deaths in parallel universes. In this sense, he will be able to exist indefinitely. This is called quantum immortality.

So why aren't all of the people who have ever attempted to kill themselves immortal? What's interesting about the Many-Worlds interpretation is that according to the theory, in some parallel universe, they are. This doesn't appear to be the case to us, because the splitting of the universe isn't dependent on our own life or death. We are bystanders or observers in the case of another person's suicide, and as observers we're subject to probability. When the gun finally went off in the universe -- or version -- we inhabit, we were stuck with that result. Even if we pick up the gun and continue shooting the man, the universe will remain in a single state. After all, once a person is dead, the number of possible outcomes for shooting a dead person is reduced to one."

Frank Apisa

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:24 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

I've just posted this on another thread I thought I'd share it here:

igm wrote:

Herald wrote:

Can you find a plausible interpretation for the concept of afterlife?

This is the way I see it... but who knows... and those who do can't prove it...

How to be a Buddhist only matters moment to moment. If there is no end to being conscious of reality then letting go of the misunderstandings about reality will be like glimpsing something that cannot be forgotten. If there is no end to being conscious of reality then this glimpse will never be forgotten even when everything else is... after the transition from one life to the next.

From the world of science the non-ending of life is explained in, 'The Many-Worlds Theory' for example:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/quantum-suicide3.htm

"This is the same case with quantum suicide. When the man pulls the trigger, there are two possible outcomes: the gun either fires or it doesn't. In this case, the man either lives or he dies. Each time the trigger is pulled, the universe splits to accommodate each possible outcome. When the man dies, the universe is no longer able to split based on the pulling of the trigger. The possible outcome for death is reduced to one: continued death. But with life there are still two chances that remain: The man continues living or the man dies.When the man pulls the trigger and the universe is split in two, however, the version of the man who lived will be unaware that in the other version of the split universe, he has died. Instead he will continue to live and will again have the chance to pull the trigger. And each time he does pull the trigger, the universe will again split, with the version of the man who lives continuing on, and being unaware of all of his deaths in parallel universes. In this sense, he will be able to exist indefinitely. This is called quantum immortality.

So why aren't all of the people who have ever attempted to kill themselves immortal? What's interesting about the Many-Worlds interpretation is that according to the theory, in some parallel universe, they are. This doesn't appear to be the case to us, because the splitting of the universe isn't dependent on our own life or death. We are bystanders or observers in the case of another person's suicide, and as observers we're subject to probability. When the gun finally went off in the universe -- or version -- we inhabit, we were stuck with that result. Even if we pick up the gun and continue shooting the man, the universe will remain in a single state. After all, once a person is dead, the number of possible outcomes for shooting a dead person is reduced to one."

My guess is that if the Buddha were able to see the words highlighted by size...he would vomit.

Talking about being "a Buddhist"; being a "Buddhist"; talking at length about what the Buddha "taught"...would be as welcome to the Buddha as a cow manure pie.
igm

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 04:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
0 Replies