I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

igm

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 01:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

You asked us to question your "beliefs"...which is what I am doing.

Saying "the Buddha may know how to end suffering" is the same as saying "the Buddha may not know how to end suffering."

They are not the same. One makes one try to see if the Buddha was correct and one makes the attempt seem futile.

If I was giving you directions to somewhere and I said that I may not know how to get there is that the same as saying to you that I may know how to get there? I'd say that me saying that I may know how to get there will give you more confidence to try than if I said I may not know how to get there.

Do you see my point? One gives confidence and one does not. If you back up that with logical reasons why and say that certain things will appear on the way then your confidence builds. You then make the journey and if what was said is correct then you have arrived at your journey's end.

To say that it may not be the case just makes one give up before trying.
hawkeye10

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 01:35 am
what is better, good sex or a union with God? as a Zennist for almost 30 years my belief is that they are equal thus they are the same.

what say u?
roger

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 01:45 am
@igm,

igm wrote:

If I was giving you directions to somewhere and I said that I may not know how to get there is that the same as saying to you that I may know how to get there?

Yes, and maybe means the same thing as maybe not. One word choice may inspire more confidence than another, but that's a rhetorical game.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 01:54 am
@igm,
OK so you're a Buddhist and I do question your beliefs. There are many billions that believe in superstitious nonsense, what's one more?
vikorr

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 01:56 am
@maxdancona,
Hmmm...in my view, saying 'Again, I am saying that Buddhism is based on reason the same way that fundamentalist Christianity is based on reason' could lead to a great many misunderstandings.

When it comes to beliefs, comparison is to avoid hypocrisy and injustice...testing on the individual merit is to see what you think of that particular belief/system.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 01:58 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

OK so you're a Buddhist and I do question your beliefs. There are many billions that believe in superstitious nonsense, what's one more?

or maybe it is those who believe in the superiority of their
ego who are the ones who believe in superstitious nonsense?
Chumly

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 02:03 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Chumly wrote:

or maybe it is those who believe in the superiority of their
ego who are the ones who believe in superstitious nonsense?
False dilemma.
hawkeye10

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 02:19 am
@Chumly,
there is no dilemma, only a question on the nature of reality.
Chumly

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 02:27 am
@hawkeye10,
You do not understand the logical fallacy you've presented.
0 Replies

igm

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:11 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

what is better, good sex or a union with God? as a Zennist for almost 30 years my belief is that they are equal thus they are the same.

what say u?

The former has never disappointed; the later I've never attempted.

0 Replies

igm

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:25 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

You seem sure of your statement, please put your case and I'll consider it. If not I can't agree.

Frank Apisa

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:52 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

You asked us to question your "beliefs"...which is what I am doing.

Saying "the Buddha may know how to end suffering" is the same as saying "the Buddha may not know how to end suffering."

They are not the same. One makes one try to see if the Buddha was correct and one makes the attempt seem futile.

Actually, they are the same.

Both are actually saying, "the Buddha may or may not know how to end suffering."

Quote:
If I was giving you directions to somewhere and I said that I may not know how to get there is that the same as saying to you that I may know how to get there? I'd say that me saying that I may know how to get there will give you more confidence to try than if I said I may not know how to get there.

Both are saying, "I may or may not know how to get there." But the analogy fails on other points.

Ultimately, we are discussing the Buddha's supposed "enlightenment."

"The enlightenment" MAY OR MAY NOT be illusionary.

Quote:
Do you see my point? One gives confidence and one does not.

If you feel you want to trick yourself into thinking it more likely one way or another...use it. But understand that whether you say, "the Buddha may know..." or "the Buddha may not know..."...what you are actually saying is: "The Buddha may or may not know..."

Stop trying to trick yourself. Be reasonable. That is what you suppose is one of the main positives that brings you to Buddhism...that it is "reasonable."

Quote:
If you back up that with logical reasons why and say that certain things will appear on the way then your confidence builds. You then make the journey and if what was said is correct then you have arrived at your journey's end.

To say that it may not be the case just makes one give up before trying.

I suspected before we started this conversation that you (igm) were approaching Buddhism the way Catholics approach Catholicism and Islamists approach Islam. Now I am almost certain that is the case.

You are insisting that your guesses about the REALITY are correct...no matter what.

In your case, if the Buddha taught it...is unquestionbly is the truth...no matter the many pretend attachments you make.

There appears to be absolutely no doubt in your mind that the Buddha attained something special (enlightenment)...and by "standing on his shoulders"...you will one day attain "enlightenment" also.

The words "blessed trinity", "transubstantiation", salvation by dint of good works, salvation by dint of "belief"...all come to mind.

At least in your case, Buddhism is a religion based on "belief" (guesswork)...and "faith" (insistence that the guesses cannot be wrong.)

I hope you find contentment and happiness in that religion, igm. Truly.
Chumly

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 12:22 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
Chumly wrote:
You seem sure of your statement, please put your case and I'll consider it. If not I can't agree.
Hello igm and thank you for your post. Before we proceed it would be helpful in formulating my responses by clarifying the following.

1) Are you asking me to prove that:
a) you're a Buddhist?
b) I question your beliefs?
c) there are many billions that believe in superstitious nonsense?

2) As to this case you make reference to, by what set of criteria (or lack thereof) will you "consider it"?

3) As to this case you make reference to, why would it be that should I not put my case you cannot agree?

4) As to this case you make reference to, if I do not put my case and thus you cannot agree, should I assume that you would take some sort of opposite tack, if so how do you propose to substantiate this?
igm

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 01:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I suspected before we started this conversation that you (igm) were approaching Buddhism the way Catholics approach Catholicism and Islamists approach Islam. Now I am almost certain that is the case.

You are insisting that your guesses about the REALITY are correct...no matter what.

In your case, if the Buddha taught it...is unquestionbly is the truth...no matter the many pretend attachments you make.

There appears to be absolutely no doubt in your mind that the Buddha attained something special (enlightenment)...and by "standing on his shoulders"...you will one day attain "enlightenment" also.

The words "blessed trinity", "transubstantiation", salvation by dint of good works, salvation by dint of "belief"...all come to mind.

At least in your case, Buddhism is a religion based on "belief" (guesswork)...and "faith" (insistence that the guesses cannot be wrong.)

You have said a lot but I haven't said anything in this thread that would enable you to draw any of these conclusions. I will say that none of them are correct.

I don't see a question in your post so I can't answer a question.

I see a lot of assumptions but no evidence?

Put your case and I'll consider it but without any arguments it hasn't much value to anyone else but you. You are appealing to me, to just take your word for it... why? I for one need evidence... but I'm willing to consider any you might have.

Everything we accomplish because someone else told us how they did it... no matter how trivial... requires attempting to do what they tell us... then we either succeed or fail...we either continue until we have succeeded or we give up, they either gave us good advice or they didn't. We won't know unless we try. That's true for everything in life... there is nothing special about it... it is just normal everyday behavior... no matter how ordinary that advice is.

The advice the Buddha give is to examine the true nature of reality… that’s the path. Examination is not blindly following a path… it is critical enquiry undertaken by each and every Buddhist by themselves using their own common sense and critical reasoning.

igm

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 01:54 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

To simplify matters perhaps the following would help:

If this was a joke... that fine by me... but if you meant what you seem to be saying then...

Did you imply without evidence that I as a Buddhist believe in superstitious nonsense? If so what evidence do you have? If not, then it could be inferred from your initial post and that is why I asked for evidence as there wasn't any.

No need to supply evidence but I do of course disagree with you and evidence would help me to consider whether I need to change my mind.

Frank Apisa

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 02:22 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

You have said a lot but I haven't said anything in this thread that would enable you to draw any of these conclusions. I will say that none of them are correct.

I don't see a question in your post so I can't answer a question.

I see a lot of assumptions but no evidence?

Put your case and I'll consider it but without any arguments it hasn't much value to anyone else but you. You are appealing to me, to just take your word for it... why? I for one need evidence... but I'm willing to consider any you might have.

Everything we accomplish because someone else told us how they did it... no matter how trivial... requires attempting to do what they tell us... then we either succeed or fail...we either continue until we have succeeded or we give up, they either gave us good advice or they didn't. We won't know unless we try. That's true for everything in life... there is nothing special about it... it is just normal everyday behavior... no matter how ordinary that advice is.

The advice the Buddha give is to examine the true nature of reality… that’s the path. Examination is not blindly following a path… it is critical enquiry undertaken by each and every Buddhist by themselves using their own common sense and critical reasoning.

C'mon, igm. You are trying a losing strategy in playing the "you have to provide proof" card.

You have indicated that "enlightenment" is something special...and that the Buddha attained "it."

That is a belief...a guess. And you are firm in insisting that it happened...which is "faith" (bullheadedness in insisting that the guess is correct.)

There is nothing I have to prove...you and your comments do that for me.

Anyway, I really do see that you feel Buddhism is a benefit for you...and that you derive good things from it.

One cannot ask more of life than that it deliver that kind of thing.

Peace.

Chumly

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 02:34 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
Chumly wrote:
To simplify matters perhaps the following would help:

If this was a joke... that fine by me... but if you meant what you seem to be saying then...

Did you imply without evidence that I as a Buddhist believe in superstitious nonsense? If so what evidence do you have? If not, then it could be inferred from your initial post and that is why I asked for evidence as there wasn't any.

No need to supply evidence but I do of course disagree with you and evidence would help me to consider whether I need to change my mind.
Your above post is a non sequitur, as such I redirect you to my post: # 5,417,308 and await your reasoned response.
igm

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't know how you've come to some of your conclusions but you haven't asked any questions about Buddhism. If you have any please ask... if not then good evening.
igm

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:31 pm
@Chumly,
I'll assume it was all a joke...
Frank Apisa

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:35 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

I don't know how you've come to some of your conclusions but you haven't asked any questions about Buddhism. If you have any please ask... if not then good evening.

Why would I ask you about Buddhism...when you asked me to question your "beliefs?"

You have read your own thread...right?