I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

timur

Wed 6 Nov, 2013 12:25 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Well, I asked because I cannot find proper evidence of the accurateness of uncle jeff's figures.

In addition, I saw his posts as tendentious.

That minorities don't have the same access to education in Myanmar is a fact and it is government originated.

You can have a look here: Voices of the minorities
Uncle jeff

Wed 6 Nov, 2013 05:21 pm
@timur,
It was a human watch type group link similar to this one
http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/03/26/burma-rohingya-muslims-face-humanitarian-crisis
but like Peter right now I'm finding rates for Rohingya ranging from 80% illiterate to .5% But for the 98% all I see some stuff about the current displaced residents from when the majority religion went and took over their homes and burned some off them. Not sure maybe I reversed the numbers from one subject to another when I read it.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Wed 6 Nov, 2013 05:45 pm
@timur,
It doesn't seem like you can thru to get any information, that is local from the Country. Seems that the Government has complete access and censorship of all media and internet for some reason.
0 Replies

igm

Wed 27 Nov, 2013 07:00 am
This has been posted on another thread but I'd like to repost it here:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

Uncle jeff

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 07:19 am
@igm,
That is interesting. So when you do meditation you are trying to get to a state of mind a stroke victim has?
Setanta

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 07:39 am
Hehehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

igm

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 08:20 am
@Uncle jeff,
Uncle jeff wrote:

That is interesting. So when you do meditation you are trying to get to a state of mind a stroke victim has?

How could I know the state of mind of this recovered stroke victim?

The recovered stroke victim is not saying they meditate, so how would the stroke victim know what the state of mind of a meditator is?

How could I know any meditator's state of mind?

How could I know anyones state of mind?
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 08:34 am
@igm,
Yes you are right perhaps you meant to surpass the stroke victim and be far more empty headed then the victim possibly is...after all what does "comatose" state means ? Who is to be sure ? what does " means" even means ? Why there are questions and sentences ? And is this text really a text ? Hmmm profound... Mr. Green
igm

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 08:39 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Not sure what I said to provoke your emotional outburst Fil? If it was an attempted joke on your part... Ok but based on what?

All I said is, you cannot know the mind of someone else...
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 08:45 am
@igm,
Common igm is not an outburst I was only shaking you a little bit so you pay attention to what you said...geeez I have nothing against you...can I disagree you or need I pay a tax ?
igm

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 08:48 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I said it might have been a joke... you did read that part?
0 Replies

Uncle jeff

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 08:21 pm
@igm,
Ohh I dint mean any disrespect by it, on the video you presented the stroke victim described it as "A sense of well being, as if she was one with the Universe and nothing in the past nor future mattered. Is that not what you try to achieve when you meditate?
JLNobody

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 10:39 pm
@Uncle jeff,
Jeff, I have been meditating since 1961 and throughout the early decades of that period I've sought all kinds of ends: power, invulnerability, happiness, tranquility, etc. etc.. Many of the people who began around the time I did have quit (my impression is that they did so after around five years of effort) because they saw no obvious change in their subjective lives. Those who continued--and with whom I continue to meditate--will answer, if you ask what they are seeking in meditation, merely to experience themselves, i.e., their life experience, as they truly are. In a sense they meditate for its own sake, something that is both extremely humble and grand. I, for one, do not see my state of mind as anything like the "blankness" someone has likened to that of a stroke victim, and I certainly am not concerned with the "scientific" nature of the physical corrolaries of the process of meditation, as if that knowledge were a means to an end like those I sought years ago. The unmediated direct experience of life stands as as ultimate value. Try it (as a way of life), but if you are uninterested let it go but without the complacent arrogance of hehehehehehehe.
0 Replies

igm

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 01:38 am
@Uncle jeff,
Meditation allows thoughts and emotions to reveal their true nature and the experience is unconditioned happiness... this happy mind is then taken into everyday life... this experience requires that first a courageous inner journey is undertaken.
JLNobody

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 11:50 am
@igm,
Indeed.
0 Replies

Uncle jeff

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 12:37 pm
@igm,
Ohh I was just wondering because you posted that clip about the stroke victim and how she felt connected to the Universe and all. I though It had something to do with meditation.
igm

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 12:43 pm
@Uncle jeff,
Uncle jeff wrote:

Ohh I was just wondering because you posted that clip about the stroke victim and how she felt connected to the Universe and all. I though It had something to do with meditation.

Not in this way jeff...

Uncle jeff wrote:

...but I'm glad we've cleared up the misunderstanding.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 12:57 pm
@Uncle jeff,
Uncle jeff wrote:

No...igm is saying that meditation is simply the result of a courageous inner journey such as the one he has had the courage to undertake.

He apparently hopes to encourage the rest of us to work up the courage to take one also.

And he knows he is not deluding himself...that the result of the courageous undertaking cannot possibly be leading to nothing more than an illusion, for instance.

All very simply...right, Jeff?
0 Replies

igm

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 01:17 pm
By the way, the courage arises when the ego/self doubts its own existence and has the courage to investigate whether it is just an illusion. Very few doubt the self's existence for more than the briefest of moments... far fewer investigate that doubt. The reward is... to finally let go... the joke is there is no one to receive the reward... the paradox is that it doesn't matter...
igm

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 01:21 pm
@igm,
Amended my last post slightly...
0 Replies