I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

IRFRANK

Wed 30 Oct, 2013 07:35 pm
@Uncle jeff,
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Everyone%20Else/images-8/hitler-and-the-pope.jpg
Uncle jeff

Wed 30 Oct, 2013 09:46 pm
@IRFRANK,
So does that mean you are against Nazi style propaganda that it is going on in Burma right now?
igm

Thu 31 Oct, 2013 06:34 am
igm wrote:

Anyone can question anything that the Buddha taught...

I can't comment however, on why some other Buddhists, sometimes contradict the Buddha's teachings, leading to actions that may appear to be wrong.

igm wrote:

The Buddha said, 'I teach only one thing, suffering and how to put an end to it'.

maxdancona

Thu 31 Oct, 2013 07:23 am
@igm,
These "other Buddhists" say that you are the one who is contracting the Buddha's teachings.
igm

Thu 31 Oct, 2013 07:53 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

These "other Buddhists" say that you are the one who is contracting the Buddha's teachings.

1. You need to show evidence that they are saying this.

2. If they are saying this then you need to show that there is evidence that the Buddha's teachings support them... you won't find any.
0 Replies

Uncle jeff

Thu 31 Oct, 2013 08:21 am
@igm,
Why can you not comment on a Nazi propaganda being run in the name of your religion? Is it because they are your superiors and you are afraid it will get you in trouble? Is it because you agree with Nazi style propaganda and don't want to look bad? What exactly is the reason?
igm

Thu 31 Oct, 2013 08:40 am
@Uncle jeff,
I've already explained in my posts above... a Buddhist is someone that follows the Buddha's teachings... the Buddha's teachings do not support any type of hatred, whether they are actions of body, speech or mind. If a person who says they are Buddhist, then acts with hatred they are acting against the Buddha and his teachings. The same is true of selfish desire. The Buddha was very clear on this.
Uncle jeff

Thu 31 Oct, 2013 09:31 am
@igm,
I thank you for expressing an opinion on the subject Smile
Now how would go about passing on that message to the people over in Burma? I mean they are giving the religion a bad name and that is not fair for the rest of you guys.
IRFRANK

Thu 31 Oct, 2013 09:32 am
@Uncle jeff,
Yes
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 31 Oct, 2013 09:34 am
@Uncle jeff,
Every religion/philosophy has its fair share of arseholes. Richard Dawkins doesn't exactly do a lot of favours for Atheism.
0 Replies

igm

Sun 3 Nov, 2013 10:50 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03f8c5y/Free_Thinking_2013_Festival_Free_Thinking_Essay_In_Search_of_Ecstasy/
0 Replies

igm

Mon 4 Nov, 2013 08:42 am
Quote:

E
ven so, when, at this very moment,
in compliance with the Buddha seal, you let go of everything
and earnestly sit in meditation, you will go beyond the boundaries set by
any concern that you may have had over being deluded or enlightened. Uninvolved
with whether the path is mundane or sanctified, you will at once
be strolling about in realms beyond ordinary thinking.
How can the nets and snares of words possibly be equal to
such as this?

Dogen

Frank Apisa

Mon 4 Nov, 2013 08:49 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Quote:

E
ven so, when, at this very moment,
in compliance with the Buddha seal, you let go of everything
and earnestly sit in meditation, you will go beyond the boundaries set by
any concern that you may have had over being deluded or enlightened. Uninvolved
with whether the path is mundane or sanctified, you will at once
be strolling about in realms beyond ordinary thinking.
How can the nets and snares of words possibly be equal to
such as this?

Dogen

As to the question of whether or not one would be deluding one's self...that comment appears to be self-contradictory.

Dogen was deluding himself when he suggested that one need not be concerned with whether or not one has been deluded...ever.
IRFRANK

Mon 4 Nov, 2013 04:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Dogen was deluding himself when he suggested that one need not be concerned with whether or not one has been deluded...ever.

That's your guess anyway.
0 Replies

Uncle jeff

Mon 4 Nov, 2013 06:24 pm
@igm,
You seem to be a smart guy Smile So I want to ask your opinion on something.
Those guys in Burma that claim to be Buddhist, but as you described, they are not following the Buddhist belief, because they are using Nazi propaganda successfully. What do you think will happen after they are able to eliminate all other religions from that Country? Do you think they will start going after the population of other Countries? Or maybe try to get the other major religions to fight among themselves? What do you think the next step of their plan is?
igm

Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:05 am
@Uncle jeff,
I condem what is happening in Burma. They are clearly acting agaist everything that the Buddha taught. They cannot possibly be Buddhist in their hearts when they act in this way. They are people who hate others based solely on the fact that they can identify a region of the country as being populated by Muslims. They use the excuse that some high profile murders and rapes were (aledgedly) committed by Muslims against Buddists but there is no excuse for what is happening and as a Buddhist I condem their actions unreservedly.

The antidote to hatred is loving kindness and for Buddhists to simply follow. .. what the Buddha taught... to love all others equally, to have compassion for all those that suffer and to develop wisdom in order to know how best to help all others... if requested by the person or demanded by circumstances.
Frank Apisa

Tue 5 Nov, 2013 06:23 am
Quote:
igm wrote:

The Buddha said, 'I teach only one thing, suffering and how to put an end to it'.

Quote:
igm later wrote:

They are clearly acting agaist everything that the Buddha taught.

There seems to be a disconnect here.

Did the Buddha teach only one thing...or a bunch of things?
0 Replies

Uncle jeff

Tue 5 Nov, 2013 07:52 am
@igm,
Well the rape thing is just the current propaganda. This has stared over a century ago as it is evident by the 98% illiteracy rate of non Buddhist VS the 89% literacy rate of the Buddhist in Burma.
0 Replies

timur

Wed 6 Nov, 2013 10:47 am
Uncle Jeff wrote:
evident by the 98% illiteracy rate of non Buddhist

Any link backing that assertion?
peter jeffrey cobb

Wed 6 Nov, 2013 12:09 pm
@timur,
Well I just put search Rohingya illiteracy rate on yahoo search and I get polls going from 80% illiteracy rate to 0.5% illiteracy rate. All well below the Buddhist 89% literacy rate in Burma. Now what happens when you prevent a sector of your population from receiving education? Jeff is on to something here I don't think its the religion itself but there is something going on down there that should be looked at.