I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

JLNobody

Sat 21 Sep, 2013 04:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Of course you know, Frank, what Reality is--it is your experience right now. You just don't understand it intellectually; neither do I.
But please "do get real."
fresco

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 12:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Really!

So are you another of the people here who KNOW what the REALITY is...or who has determined that there is NO REALITY?
C'mon, Fresco...get "real."

"Doh ! Wake up Frank! Deconstruction of the word "reality" obviously requires concomitant reconsideration of its verbal handmaidens such as "knowledge" and "truth".
fresco

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 12:13 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Could we also say that Human Reality requires enculturated beings to construct all the "things" making up our culturally meaningful world?

Yes...provided that we consider "it" to be subject to dynamic shifting and long term trends, like the climate, with a number of locally relatively predictable attributes.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 03:17 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

What is your point, igm?

If you are saying I have not questioned it...you simply have been sleeping through this discussion.

http://able2know.org/topic/220485-1#post-5415400

What is your point, igm?

If you think I have not been questioning your "beliefs"...you have been sleeping through this discussion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 03:19 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Of course you know, Frank, what Reality is--it is your experience right now. You just don't understand it intellectually; neither do I.
But please "do get real."

REALITY MAY NOT be what I am experiencing right now.

Why are you afraid to acknowledge that?
Frank Apisa

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 03:20 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
Really!

So are you another of the people here who KNOW what the REALITY is...or who has determined that there is NO REALITY?
C'mon, Fresco...get "real."

"Doh ! Wake up Frank! Deconstruction of the word "reality" obviously requires concomitant reconsideration of its verbal handmaidens such as "knowledge" and "truth".

Only if you do not want to "get real"...which is why I suggested that.
igm

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 04:52 am

I have only one more thing to say:

igm wrote:

The Buddha said:

"Rather than continuing to seek the truth, simply let go of your views."

The above leads to transcendence. The theists stand on one side of the fence. The atheists stand on the other and agnostics like Frank sit on the fence. The Buddha transcends both sides of the fence and the fence itself. They all only exist in dependence upon one another; when that is realized they are transcended.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread...

fresco

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 09:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Which is rather a naive statement from one who claims not to have knowledge of the nature "reality". Laughing
Keep sharpening the pencils Frank. You don't seem to be ready to move onto pens yet ! Wink
JLNobody

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 10:11 am
@igm,
Very Happy Igm, thanks for a great conclusion. Should we also thank Frank for being such a foil?
fresco

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 10:17 am
@JLNobody,
Seconded.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 12:45 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

I have only one more thing to say:

igm wrote:

The Buddha said:

"Rather than continuing to seek the truth, simply let go of your views."

The above leads to transcendence. The theists stand on one side of the fence. The atheists stand on the other and agnostics like Frank sit on the fence. The Buddha transcends both sides of the fence and the fence itself. They all only exist in dependence upon one another; when that is realized they are transcended.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread...

My guess is that you will say more...probably a lot more.

By the way...agnostics do not sit on the fence. The take a firm stand...and have the strength of character to acknowledge when they do not know something.

You ought to try it, igm. It will do a lot more for your character than all that transcending nonsense.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 12:50 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:

Which is rather a naive statement from one who claims not to have knowledge of the nature "reality". Laughing

Nothing "naive" about that statement, Fresco. I do not know the true nature of REALITY...but I certainly have lots of reason to suspect you are far from being real.

Quote:

Keep sharpening the pencils Frank. You don't seem to be ready to move onto pens yet ! Wink

Sure. You think that silly complicated phraseology you use to disguise the fact that you are not saying much is the way to go…is “using a pen.”

Keep dreaming.

I am willing to acknowledge that I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence. You are still stuck pretending that it is a language problem with you.

Hey…good for laughs.

I'm still enjoying all this banter.
Even with all that silly phraseology you use to disguise the fact that you are not really saying much, Fresco...you a
Frank Apisa

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 12:52 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Very Happy Igm, thanks for a great conclusion. Should we also thank Frank for being such a foil?

So, JL...you consider me just a foil, huh?

Interesting.

All this...because I am willing to acknowledge that I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

Even more interesting. Wink Wink
0 Replies

fresco

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 02:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Allow me to explain my extrapolation of your self descriptive metaphor.

Being "not the sharpest pencil" evokes the picture of primary level classroom in which the naivity of the kids' writing has yet to be deemed worthy of the permanence of ink.

And transcendently ( Wink ) just look at "the fresco" your actions partially created! What a pity you refuse to learn anything about the ephemeral nature of "self" from that !
Frank Apisa

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 02:39 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Allow me to explain my extrapolation of your self descriptive metaphor.

Being "not the sharpest pencil" evokes the picture of primary level classroom in which the naivity of the kids' writing has yet to be deemed worthy of the permanence of ink.

And transcendently ( Wink ) just look at "the fresco" your actions partially created! What a pity you refuse to learn anything about the ephemeral nature of "self" from that !

I have the guts and integrity to acknowledge that I do not know the answers to Ultimate Questions…such as, “What is the true nature of the REALITY of existence.”

What a pity you are unable to muster that kind of intellectual integrity, Fresco.

But, watching you try to pretend your position is more logical or more reasonable than mine is worth more than you can imagine.

The fact that you have several people here sharing your pretence is interesting, though. I will give you that.
fresco

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 02:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I have the guts and integrity to acknowledge that I do not know the answers to Ultimate Questions…such as, “What is the true nature of the REALITY of existence.”

Oh dear ! What a waste of guts and integrity on a such vacuous question ! Laughing
Frank Apisa

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 03:45 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:

Oh dear ! What a waste of guts and integrity on a such vacuous question ! Laughing

I suspect you only characterize it as a "vacuous question" because you do not have the character and integrity to acknowledge that you do not have the answers to Ultimate Questions either.

The finest minds that have ever existed have pondered what you are calling a "vacuous question", Fresco. But it is entertaining to see you indulge in tortured machinations in order to avoid saying the words, "I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence."

I'll raise you one Laughing Laughing
JLNobody

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 04:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, sometimes it's very difficult to take you seriously. And I regret that.
fresco

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 04:55 pm
@JLNobody,
Interesting that he associates guts with
"self integrity". the chief impediment to understanding .
Frank Apisa

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 06:04 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Frank, sometimes it's very difficult to take you seriously. And I regret that.

Nothing I have said in this thread ought to be difficult to take seriously. We disagree...but I have been honest and reasonable.
0 Replies