I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

igm

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 09:51 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

What annoys me is the implication that Buddhism is real, where Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism and Science are all illusion.

If you said "of all the religions Buddhism is the most meaningful to me" I would be Ok with that. After all, different people find comfort or meaning or insight from different philosophies.

But that isn't what is being said here. The message I am getting is that Buddhism leads you to the real truth and that all other religions and ways of thinking including science are just an illusion. For the record, I get equally annoyed when Christians or Muslims make equal claims of superiority.

It is the superiority complex that is annoying.

As I've already said...

igm wrote:

It's only superior if you believe that you are dreaming... if not then it is inferior or it should be to you... your last two posts are emotional and in error.

Try not to be so defensive... you believe Buddhism is wrong... ok... chill-out.

0 Replies

igm

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
Your philosophy is that everything is a guess...

So, the guess that Buddhism is correct is just a likely as the guess you make that it is incorrect therefore it is just as likely that Buddhism is correct, so what are you so concerned about? You should have an open mind about it instead of being so defensive and confrontational... not much of a personal philosophy... if you can't practice what you preach.

Also, if I say I know something, you can only guess that I don't know because I might know and you couldn't know it.

neologist

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . . If you try hard enough...you can "discover" that Zeus actually exists.... .
Zeus actually does exist, Frank, under an assumed name.
Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:18 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Your philosophy is that everything is a guess...

What on Earth makes you think that?

That is absurd. Of course not everything is a guess...and I have never suggested otherwise.

Quote:
So, the guess that Buddhism is correct is just a likely as the guess you make that it is incorrect...

What on Earth makes you think I am guessing that it is incorrect.

I have no idea if it is correct or incorrect...just as I have no idea if the guess that there is a GOD is correct or incorrect...and just as I have no idea if the guess that there are no gods is correct or incorrect.

I have never intimated or suggested in any way otherwise.

Have you actually been reading what I write?

Quote:
...therefore it is just as likely that Buddhism is correct, so what are you so concerned about? You should have an open mind about it instead of being so defensive and confrontational... not much of a personal philosophy... if you can't practice what you preach.

I am totally open-minded about it, igm. You are the one with the closed mind. I practice "what I preach"...insofar as I acknowledge on these kinds of questions....I DO NOT KNOW. (And that I am not willing to make guesses.)

Quote:

Also, if I say I know something, you can only guess that I don't know because I might know and you couldn't know it.

Absolutely.

That is why I said you were in the same state as those who "know" there is a GOD...or who "know" there are no gods.

C'mon, igm. Keep up.
Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:20 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . . If you try hard enough...you can "discover" that Zeus actually exists.... .
Zeus actually does exist, Frank, under an assumed name.

Yeah...so many people were calling to him with "Hey, Zeus" ... that he changed his name to Jesus Martinez.
0 Replies

igm

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

You are the one with the closed mind.

You can't know that I am the one with the closed mind, as you only guess... according to you it is just as likely that I am not closed minded... you should have said... using your philosophy,... 'you may be close minded and you may not be close minded either are equally possible.' According to your philosophy... as you didn't you are not practicing your own philosophy.

Your personality shows with every post (almost) that you can't follow your own philosophy... you just preach it at others.

For that reason your philosophy is useless because even you can't practice it.
Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 12:00 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

You can't know that I am the one with the closed mind, as you only guess... according to you it is just as likely that I am not closed minded... you should have said... using your philosophy,... 'you may be close minded and you may not be close minded either are equally possible.' According to your philosophy... as you didn't you are not practicing your own philosophy.

Your personality shows with every post (almost) that you can't follow your own philosophy... you just preach it at others.

For that reason your philosophy is useless because even you can't practice it.

You've gone off the tracks, igm.

You have no idea of my personal philosophy...and your attempts to guess it are laughable.

You suggested that I have a closed mind. I have demonstrated that I hold none of the positions you suggest I do...and that I freely acknowledge that I do not know the things I do not know.

Try to pull things together...and maybe we can resume our conversation.
igm

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 12:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Where have I suggested you have a closed mind? You said I had one.

Frank Apisa wrote:

You should be a laughing stock Frank... with your tricks etc... you tell everyone they can't know and that it must be a guess, whilst all the while telling them you 'know' things about their personality and beliefs. You aren't practicing what you preach and worst still, you'll say anything and make up anything and use every trick in the book when you're questioned on it.

If some things are a guess and some aren't a guess for you... then how do you decide? How do you 'know' something other than what has already happened?

How do you know I'm close minded as you assert in the quote above? Why isn't it just a guess?

Let's ask the same about these... how do you 'know' these assertions are true and not a guess?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Try to pull things together...

igm

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 12:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

You have no idea of my personal philosophy...and your attempts to guess it are laughable.

Frank's Profile:

"I have become an agnostic activist because I truly think the world would be a better place if we all acknowledged our agnosticism. I believe, if you will excuse that seemingly incongruous expression, that everyone is an agnostic. It's just that we agnostics come in two categories--those who acknowledge that we don't know the answers to unanswerable questions; and those who pretend to know. That latter category includes the theists and the atheists (two sides of one coin)--both of whom suppose they know the answers to those unanswerable questions."

Apparently your personal philosophy is published above.. preached by you in almost every thread. If all guesses are equal then to you Buddhism is just as likely correct as not correct... using your own personal philosophy... as quoted above, but you don't say that.

As it's not actually possible to know anything in the future no matter how mundane... you must guess and cannot know anything.. yet you constantly say you know things about other people and their beliefs. Therefore your philosophy is useless because even you cannot practice it.
Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:07 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5424367)
Where have I suggested you have a closed mind? You said I had one.
Frank Apisa wrote:

At http://able2know.org/topic/220485-14#post-5424294 you suggested I should have an open mind...which means you are suggesting I have a closed mind.

I am saying that I do not know...which is pretty open minded. You are saying you "know" things about the REALITY...which I view as rather close-minded.

But you may be a god...and you may know some of the stuff you claim to know. In any case, I keep asking you how you know...and you never reply with anything substantive...other than "because the Buddha taught it."

Quote:
You should be a laughing stock Frank... with your tricks etc... you tell everyone they can't know and that it must be a guess, whilst all the while telling them you 'know' things about their personality and beliefs. You aren't practicing what you preach and worst still, you'll say anything and make up anything and use every trick in the book when you're questioned on it.

With you around, igm...there is no concern about me being a "laughing stock."

Actually, for the most part, I have not said you do not know. Can you point out anywhere where I did say you do not know? Mostly, I ask questions about how you know the stuff you claim to know.

Quote:
How do you know I'm close minded as you assert in the quote above? Why isn't it just a guess?

I'm comfortable calling it a guess. End of problem. My guess is that you are close minded.

Quote:
Let's ask the same about these... how do you 'know' these assertions are true and not a guess?

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Try to pull things together..

I'm comfortable calling "you've gone off the tracks a guess." So...I guess you have gone off the tracks, igm. My guess is you are getting rattled. My guess is the Buddha would be shaking his head if he read your stuff here...and heard you getting so rattled.

As for the "pull it together"...that was not a guess...it was a suggestion.

You ought to take it.

Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Do some meditating...or smoke a joint. But calm down.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:08 pm
@igm,
Quote:
...you must guess and cannot know anything.. yet you constantly say you know things about other people and their beliefs. Therefore your philosophy is useless because even you cannot practice it.

Point out where I say I know things about other people and their beliefs.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I've got some idea. I know it involves ducks and roller skates.
Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:34 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I've got some idea. I know it involves ducks and roller skates.

The are not ducks...they are geese.

And who told you about the roller skates?
izzythepush

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I have photographs.
Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:48 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I have photographs.

I was afraid of that!
izzythepush

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You should be.
0 Replies

igm

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 02:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Stick to guessing Frank... and always remember... most of your guesses will be wrong... and you'll never know which ones... I'll let you continue with your dream.
Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 02:48 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Stick to guessing Frank... and always remember... most of your guesses will be wrong... and you'll never know which ones... I'll let you continue with your dream.

That was embarrassingly terrible, igm. You really do not have the hang of this!
igm

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 03:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,