Is this a good letter for Academic Reinstatement?

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 12:35 pm
To Whom It May Concern:
I write this letter of appeal to you, the Academic Regulations Committee, a more mature individual with a greater sense of purpose. First of all, I would like to thank everyone from admissions to the faculty at the School of Aging Studies for the incredible opportunity that was granted to me when I was enrolled at UXX. It was an amazing feeling to be a part of an institution that is truly inspiring and I am a better citizen because of UXX no matter what decision the A.R.C. makes. When I received my letter of dismissal in May of 2013 I was not surprised, but heartbroken nonetheless. The purpose of this letter is not to make excuses for what has lead me to this point. I take full responsibility for everything that was in my control and everything that was not. I am writing this letter to explain the circumstances surrounding my poor performance in hopes that I may be given a second chance at my dream of being the first in my family to achieve a college education.
My struggles began my first semester. I was enrolled in twelve credit hours and was employed full time as a nursing assistant at X Hospital. At that time my chosen major was social work and, although I was excited and passionate about my academics, my work hours got in the way. Due to a scheduling conflict, I was forced to withdraw from one of my courses. This conflict between my work schedule and academics was a major contributor that has led me to this point. At this time, I believe I have developed a strong professional background and am ready to take a leave of absence from my professional duties to focus solely on my academics. I strongly believe that with a degree from the University of X paired with my professional experience, I would make you very proud.
As for other obstacles that occurred during my first two years at the University of X, they ranged from family conflicts and unreliable transportation to near homelessness. The semester that was the poorest was Fall of 2012. I had a lot of conflicts with my mother who had been residing with my partner and I for roughly 8 months. It was a very stressful situation and I had to make her leave. This situation had created a problem between my partner and I which ultimately ended our relationship. When I was made to leave I, thankfully, had a friend who allowed me to live with him. Distance became a struggle since I was living in southern Saint Petersburg. My major at this time was Gerontology and I was not able to take any courses on the Saint Petersburg campus. During this term my mode of transportation became increasingly unreliable. Due to these hurdles conflicting with my course schedule I stopped attending class. I am not naïve and I take full responsibility and realize now that I had options that could have, potentially, prevented my poor performance, but at that time it felt as if I had nowhere to turn to.
I would like to take this moment to explain how I have worked to turn all of this around and how I have persevered from this experience. I am currently employed as an Assistant Social Services Director at a Rehabilitation facility in Tampa. Due to the reinstatement policy that I take fifteen credit hours my first semester back at the University of X, if reinstated, I am prepared to focus solely on academics by taking time off of employment. I currently have an immensely supportive group of friends and family who have offered all the help I could ask for to pursue my dream of completing my degree from UXX. I purchased a new vehicle that is very reliable, therefor, transportation is no longer an issue. I have no family conflicts or stresses at home that would hinder my success. I ask you, the Academic Regulations Committee, to reinstate me and allow me to pursue my dream of receiving an undergraduate degree from the University of X. My major of choice has evolved over the past year and I would like to pursue the Bachelor of Science in Applied Science program with a concentration in Gerontology and I would like to pursue the Criminology minor. It would be an honor and privilege to be reinstated to USF. I am fully aware that my poor performance may indicate that I am a poor student, I assure you I am not. I encourage UXX to remember the potential I showed when I was granted admission and to look at the passing grades I received while enrolled. I thank you for your time and consideration for readmission.
In (Mascot) Pride,
(My Name)

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 02:33 pm
@thebullhorns,
To Whom It May Concern:
I am writing this letter to explain the circumstances surrounding my poor performance (dates) in hopes that I may be given a second chance at my dream of being the first in my family to achieve a college education.

My struggles began my first semester. I was enrolled in twelve credit hours and was employed full time as a nursing assistant at X Hospital. At that time my chosen major was social work and, although I was excited and passionate about my academics, my work hours got in the way. Due to a scheduling conflict, I was forced to withdraw from one of my courses. This conflict between my work schedule and academics was a major contributor that has led me to this point.

As for other obstacles that occurred during my first two years at the University, they ranged from transportation to housing problems. My major at that time (date) was Gerontology and I was not able to take any courses on the Saint Petersburg campus. During this term my mode of transportation became increasingly unreliable. Due to these hurdles conflicting with my course schedule I stopped attending class. I take full responsibility and realize now that I had options that could have, potentially, prevented my poor performance, but at that time it felt as if I had nowhere to turn to.

I am currently employed as an Assistant Social Services Director at a Rehabilitation facility in Tampa. Due to the reinstatement policy that I take fifteen credit hours my first semester back at the University of X, if reinstated, I am prepared to focus solely on academics by taking a leave of absence from my employment. I currently have an immensely supportive group of friends and family who have offered all the help I could ask for to pursue my dream of completing my degree from UXX. I purchased a new vehicle that is very reliable so that transportation is no longer an issue. '

I ask that the Academic Regulations Committee reinstate me and allow me to pursue my dream of receiving an undergraduate degree from the University of X. I would like to pursue the Bachelor of Science in Applied Science program with a concentration in Gerontology, with a minor in Criminology.

It would be an honor and privilege to be reinstated to USF. I thank you for your time and consideration for readmission.
In (Mascot) Pride,
(
thebullhorns

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 02:50 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank you for the revisions. Other than that, is the letter going to suffice? I just worry that it won't be enough. They recommend you have documented progress indicating you will be successful if allowed to return to the University, but I don't have anything to give them so I am relying solely on this letter. Thanks again!
neologist

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 03:11 pm
@thebullhorns,
Punkey wrote a fine revision. It is appropriately short. If you need documentation, perhaps you could provide it in an attachment. A simple list of what you have accomplished and are in the process of doing.
0 Replies

Stormy11

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 06:08 pm
@thebullhorns,
Both of the above are very good examples that would be better in the form of two documents rather than one.
For letters of this sort, very little personal content is better. Best not to sound whiney or pleading.
Professionals expect professionalism from everyone, otherwise they are not taken seriously, or concidered the best of applicants, regardless of intent.
Short and to the point, 'This is what I want. This is a vague account of why.'
It is best to add personal details in a separate document, with more details.
0 Replies