Appeal Letter - Need your feedback

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 09:10 am
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

I am writing this letter to explain the circumstances surrounding my poor academic performance in the hopes that I may be given a second chance to complete my college degree.

I admit, I had a very difficult time during my first semester and my grades suffered as a result. I am solely responsible for my short comings and I do not blame anyone but myself for my poor academic performance. At the beginning of the Fall semester (2015) I thought I would have been able to balance a full course load, except that I had to work full time in order to support myself. I have no family or support system here in Canada and it has been difficult.

I also recognize that my time management, study habits and test taking skills need improvement. Some of my common mistakes that I have made during my first semester were:
-Spending too much time on courses that did not require much attention, neglecting a course that I was struggling with (Anatomy).
-Seriously doubting myself during exams which resulted in failing grades and a low GPA.
-Not communicating with my professors and student advisor when I was struggling.

I now realize that my approach wasn't the best which ultimately became my downfall. My first plan of action for academic success will consist of the following:
-Working closely with my academic advisor to create a plan to get back on track
- Meeting with my professors consistently on a weekly bases during office hours to improve my understanding of the material
-Attending time management workshops, joining a study group, preparing for class by using a day planner to manage time and scheduling less office hours at work.

I am asking for a second chance to prove that I can succeed at Seneca College. I am confident that I can succeed by taking the actions I have described above.

Thank you for considering this appeal.

Sincerely yours,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,354 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 11:04 am
@Ivey2snow,
Ivey you write pretty well

We'd say "in the hope"
"shortcomings" one word, at least here
test-taking skills Some of us fussy about compound mods
exams, which (?)
best, and which Otherwise implication is, several more contributed
on weekly bases
time-management workshops
time, and Concede, contro
jespah

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 11:35 am
@Ivey2snow,
You don't need to preface your statements with 'I recognize'. That much is understood. E. g.

originally you wrote:
I also recognize that my time management, study habits and test taking skills need improvement. Some of my common mistakes that I have made during my first semester were:
-Spending too much time on courses that did not require much attention, neglecting a course that I was struggling with (Anatomy).
-Seriously doubting myself during exams which resulted in failing grades and a low GPA.
-Not communicating with my professors and student advisor when I was struggling.

then I wrote:
My time management, study habits, and test taking skills need improvement. Some of my common mistakes during first semester were:
-Spending too much time on courses requiring less attention, neglecting a course I was struggling with (Anatomy).
-Seriously doubting myself during exams. This resulted in failing grades and a low GPA.

I also broke up one of your longer sentences. Shorter sentences are easier to read and can have more impact. Watch how many times you write 'that' <-- you can probably jettison some of those.

Keep this letter short, if you can.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 01:30 pm
@dalehileman,
Well Done Jes
jespah

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 02:21 pm
@dalehileman,
Aw, thanks.
0 Replies

Ivey2snow

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 03:19 pm
@dalehileman,
Thank you for replying to my post. I've made the necessary adjustments and I would like to know whether this letter is good enough to win my appeal. It takes alot to convince the board of committee so I would like your honest opinion on whether you think that I actually have a shot. Thank you once again!
Ivey2snow

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 03:23 pm
@jespah,
Thank you for replying to my post. I really appreciate your feedback.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 04:31 pm
@Ivey2snow,
Quote:
whether you think that I actually have a shot
I do Ivey
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 04:50 pm
@dalehileman,
I do too!
I was not the sharpest pencil when it came down to scholastic achievements, but after I earned my degree in Accounting, my work achievements were above average, having worked in management for over 80% of my working career.
I have learned that it's not what grades you earned or which school you graduate from, but how you perform on the job that counts.
Performance is what counts on the job. Good luck.
BTW, I didn't own a watch until I retired.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 11:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I do too!
Thanks Cis, you're a gem

Quote:
in management for over 80%....how you perform on the job...is what counts
Most of my time in journ which virtually nobody read, engineering in which my terrible mistakes were not uncommon, inventions that almost nobody has used

Quote:
BTW, I didn't own a watch until I retired
Now that you probly don't need it
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 05:41 pm
@dalehileman,
Have to know when to be at the gate to catch your flight, and
on organized tours, it's important to know when the bus is going to leave. Smile
Just remembered: many decades ago on a tour in Europe, I didn't have a watch, and when I returned to the meeting place for our bus, it was not there.
That's the first and last time I was ever late.
They went around the block to scare me, and it worked.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 11:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
Nice, Cis, not having to remember much nd to have a
better Half who will

Incidentally have you noticed how massively incompetent the spellcheck. You'd suppose ye'd recognize the most common misspelling of "and"

...nd then there's "he'd"
0 Replies