Existence of Everything.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 07:26 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...there is nothing wrong with what you have been saying so far regarding existence...the tautology "whatever is the case IS" is perfectly sound. Rather it seams to me Fresco confuses conceptual relativism with Ontological status...

Fil & Frank,

Nothing is permanent.

Therefore reality is not permanent.

Therefore it never remains long enough to affix the... 'is'... to it.

Therefore the tautology, 'reality is what it is' ....is empty of meaning due to the impermanence of reality.

Trying to affix the 'is' to reality, is like trying to write your name with paint on the surface of a fast flowing river.

And you KNOW "nothing is permanent"...HOW????
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 07:27 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Precisely.

As a proclamation from on high...utter nonsense.

At very best...a possibility...one among many.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 07:35 am
To Fresco, igm…or any of the others who seem to KNOW what appropriately can and cannot be considered as a possibility…

…answer me this:

How can I determine with any degree of certainty that (what I call) my mind (me) is not the ONLY thing that exists…and that everything this mind is sensing is merely an illusion created by and for it?

How?

How do I do it?

And if you cannot come up with something concrete…you do realize that the possibility that that IS THE REALITY…is one of the things I must consider…and should not discount arbitrarily because of any guess I might want to make?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:28 am
@igm,
Excellent analogy: Trying to write one's name with paint in a flowing river! The "is" disappeared long before it was seen! LOL
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . How can I determine with any degree of certainty that (what I call) my mind (me) is not the ONLY thing that exists…and that everything this mind is sensing is merely an illusion created by and for it?
Any degree of certainty?
'Splain that.
fresco

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
How can I determine with any degree of certainty that (what I call) my mind (me) is not the ONLY thing that exists…and that everything this mind is sensing is merely an illusion created by and for it?

You just flunked Philosophy 101 again Frank ! Very Happy

1. Who are you talking to and why?
2. Where did the words come from ?
3. Where did your concept of "illusion" come from if not with respect to a concept of "reality" in which your "me" normally operates?

But please add the perversity of solipsism to that "pit of unknowing" you wallow in. Just think..a fictitious audience requires no further turgid messages !

neologist

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:50 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
. . . Nothing is permanent. . .
And you are qualified to make this assertion because . . . ?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:53 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . How can I determine with any degree of certainty that (what I call) my mind (me) is not the ONLY thing that exists…and that everything this mind is sensing is merely an illusion created by and for it?
Any degree of certainty?
'Splain that.

'Splain it to yourself, Neo.

Then answer the question...if you can.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:57 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
fresco wrote:

Quote:

You just flunked Philosophy 101 again Frank ! Very Happy

I do not think so.

Quote:
1. Who are you talking to and why?

To the people to whom I addressed my remarks...or to the illusion of the people to whom I addressed my remarks.

Quote:
2. Where did the words come from ?

That question makes no sense in that form. Wanna try again?

Quote:
3. Where did your concept of "illusion" come from if not with respect to a concept of "reality" in which your "me" normally operates?

Wherever it came from...it caused you to form questions...so...

Why not try answering my question?

Quote:
But please add the perversity of solipsism to that "pit of unknowing" you wallow in. Just think..a fictitious audience requires no further turgid messages !

I hope you are better at actually answering the question...and that you do...than you are at dodging the question.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

igm wrote:

That was essentially my question to igm also.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:16 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
igm wrote:

to which you replied
Quote:

answer: Because neither you nor anybody else can name a "permanent entity" other than by postulation of a hypothetical deity. Notably, Newton tried and failed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:20 pm
@fresco,
It seems Frank operates on a fictitious self and audience. Quite a good trick of mental masterbation!
fresco

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Laughing
What else is there to do in "the pit of unknowing" ?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:06 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

to which you replied
Quote:

answer: Because neither you nor anybody else can name a "permanent entity" other than by postulation of a hypothetical deity. Notably, Newton tried and failed.

Ahhh...so because a human being cannot come up with a "permanent entity" (whatever the hell that means)...and because you latest appeal to authority cannot do so...

...that means igm can logically assert that NOTHING IS PERMANENT.

Are you just joking here...or are you not nearly as intelligent as you pretend to be?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It seems Frank operates on a fictitious self and audience. Quite a good trick of mental masterbation!

What is this all about, ci?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:09 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Laughing
What else is there to do in "the pit of unknowing" ?

Some people can actually acknowledge that they do not know the stuff they do not know. Some people...apparently like you...just cannot be that honest with themselves.

Hey...doesn't make you a bad person. Just a laughable one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:12 pm
@fresco,
Even in the "pit of unknowing," he's pretty persistent on "knowing" many things.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Even in the "pit of unknowing," he's pretty persistent on "knowing" many things.

What is this all about, ci?

Have I offended you in some way?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:23 pm
And so that we do not get lost here in the attempt to circumvent the question, here it is again:

Quote:

To Fresco, igm…or any of the others who seem to KNOW what appropriately can and cannot be considered as a possibility…

…answer me this:

How?

How do I do it?

And if you cannot come up with something concrete…you do realize that the possibility that that IS THE REALITY…is one of the things I must consider…and should not discount arbitrarily because of any guess I might want to make?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:24 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
. . . neither you nor anybody else can name a "permanent entity" other than by postulation of a hypothetical deity. Notably, Newton tried and failed.
I would guess the universe, though changing, is a permanent system