Georgie Porgie Puddin' an' Pie

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:03 am
Life Styles of the Rich and Clueless . . .

You heard it here first ! ! !
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:04 pm
timberlandko wrote:
...brings me to recall a semi-political gathering I atttended back in the late 'Fifties...

Wow and all this time I wuz thinkin' you were about 19! Embarrassed
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:21 pm
caprice wrote:
Wow and all this time I wuz thinkin' you were about 19! Embarrassed

LOL ... the flannel shirt I'm wearin' (a plaid, quilted Pendleton, with chamois elbow patches) right now is older than that! Thanks for the compliment ... I think. Cool
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:45 pm
Hee hee! You're welcome! Smile And I wasn't equating younger with immaturity...just the "vibe" I got from your posts. Perhaps you have a young spirit! Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:53 pm
I've met the ol' Timber in person, an' he don't look a day over 25 . . .

(send that check to Setanta, Hilliard, Ahia, New Nited States, Boss . . . )
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 01:25 pm
A day over 25...twice over? Razz

Oops! No uhm...insult intended Timber! Just playin' along with Setanta. Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 02:57 pm
Its in the mail Set ... us young whippersnappers gotta stick toghether, ya know :wink:

You're a sweety, caprice. I'm a first-wave BabyBoomer ... I actually remember Truman as President ... not real well, mind you, but I remember well the morning my folks were all excited and happy to discover Dewey in fact had not defeated Truman, and I remember being aggravated that a speech of Truman's pre-empted a favorite radio program ... that happened a few times, at least. That may be at root of my feelings yet today about The Democratic Party Twisted Evil
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:56 pm
Thanks Timber! Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:35 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I actually remember Truman as President

I was at a party in 1988 with a friend, who had assured me many young, nubile college women would be present. He was almost correct, although "nubility" is difficult to determine when one is blasted as are the objects of one's affectionate attention. One struck up a conversation, and then commented on her fellings the day Kennedy was shot. I gave her kinda squinty look, and inquired if she were really old enough to recall an event which had happened twenty-five years earlier (what the hell, i was too wasted to get laid anyway). She blushed and said she meant she remembered how others described it. She then decided to change the subject and asked who was president when i was born. I replied: "Truman." She said: "Who?" . . . i moved on . . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:44 pm
Aw, Timber, did Truman interupt froggy's magic twanger for you?

Yet Truman could be the one Democratic president that the conservative Republicans can admire. Busch (that Freudian slip misspelling could have stemmed from how much Georgie Porgie slugged down those brews in college) has even tried to identify with Kennedy with his tax cuts. Hardly bearing any resemblance to the tax cuts Kennedy put through however.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:39 am
LW, there's a bunch to admire about ol' Harry. I think ... its sorta foggy, really ... but I think he usually bumped The Lone Ranger and Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, or mebbe it was Hoppalong Cassidy and one of those others. Saturday morning stuff. Evening fare was more along the lines of The Armstrong Radio Theater, The Shadow, Highway Patrol, and Gunsmoke (narrated, if I recall, by William Conrad, later of Cannon fame on TV).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:42 am
My Mom loved to tune in Truman's speeches. She delighted in seeing how long he could go before the station bumped him off the air for swearing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:22 am
Okay, timber, I really didn't believe he bumped "Let's Pretend" and the only show I would have resented being preempted would be "The Shadow." The radio Westerns suffered in not being able to show the action -- TV's "Gunsmoke" is now a classic. Harry's radio speeches are almost a model for Bush's but he's too obviously reading the material.
0 Replies