Children without Parents. Fatherless/Motherless [Questions!]

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:08 pm
1.What do you think about women who choose to have children via sperm donation? (Remember: These women are financially stable most of the time.)

2. Do you know any fatherless/motherless children? Are they well adjusted?
How do you think they feel about their situation?

3. Are you/were you a fatherless/motherless child? Are you well adjusted?
How do you feel about growing up with one parent?

4. How is your relationship with the parent that raised you?

Thank you for your answers. I look forward to getting to know you all. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,613 • Replies: 18
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by MsDiscordia
Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:24 pm
@MsDiscordia,
What is the purpose for your asking these questions? Is this a survey? Are you a student or working psychologist?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:30 pm
@Ragman,
I wondered that myself. I wonder if someone is looking for examples to bolster a preconceived opinion?
0 Replies

MsDiscordia

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:36 pm
@Ragman,
I am a student and I suppose you can call this a "survey". I'm currently taking an Early Childhood Education & Cognitive Development course online but I'm asking these questions mostly out of curiosity.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:41 pm
@MsDiscordia,
Sorry to seem arbitrary or negative but these questions are flawed. I'm a motherless as well as fatherless child as both my parents have passed on. Do you mean to ask someone who is an orphan or someone who never knew one or both of their parent/parents?
MsDiscordia

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:06 pm
@Ragman,
This is not complicated.

The questions are pretty straightforward; there are no right or wrong answers. I'm just looking for opinions based on your experiences and observations.

/= or

2. Do you know any fatherless, OR motherless, children? Are they well adjusted?

3. Are you, OR were you, a fatherless, OR motherless, child? Are you well adjusted?

If you lost your parents during your adult life question 3 does not apply to you. I'd still like to hear your opinions on the other three questions.
ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:15 pm
@MsDiscordia,
1.What do you think about women who choose to have children via sperm donation?

it is their business. not mine. I don't think more or less of them.

2. Do you know any fatherless/motherless children? Are they well adjusted?

I have known children who were raised by one parent. Most of them are adults now. The majority are well-adjusted. I suspect that for the most part the ones who are not well-adjusted would not have been in any case. it seems to be about an even mix as to whether they thought there would have been a benefit to there being a second parent or whether they thought that their parent did a terrific job and nothing could have been better

3. Are you/were you a fatherless/motherless child? Are you well adjusted?

I was raised in a two-parent family

4. How is your relationship with the parent that raised you?

n/a

Thank you for your answers. I look forward to getting to know you all. Smile

Welcome to A2K MsDiscordia.
chai2

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:17 pm
@MsDiscordia,
He didn't say complicated. He said arbitrary or flawed, and I agree.

What is the connection between sperm donation and the rest of your questions?

Are you saying the children of sperm donations are fatherless, as opposed to if there was a father when the child was born, or while the woman was pregant and he died? Are you including fathers who are not present due to divorce? In the case of divorce, are you meaning fathers who never see their child, occassionally or often....same can be said of the term motherless? Do you mean children that where the product of sperm donation, but where taken from the birth mother to be raised by the father, or some other person?

I'm not even giving this any serious thought, and these are the problems I come up with as far as what you are meaning in your questions. If I spent any time at all, I'd come up with a lot more.

If you want to ask questions, fine, but please be clear as to what you're asking.

Oh....what range of age are you talking about for the term child?
birth through 18? 2 years old through 8 or 9 or 10?

The experience of children of various ages will differ widely, by mere maturity factor, intellectually, emotionally, even physically.

The answers you get are only going to be as good as your questions.
0 Replies

MsDiscordia

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you ehBeth. For your answers and your "welcome". Smile
chai2

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:56 pm
@MsDiscordia,
She didn't answer if she was well adjusted.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:36 pm
I wonder how many people are comfortable sharing every personal experience they had during their formative years to satisfy the curiosity of someone they they don't know. A better question would be, why? You can collect all the extemporaneous data you like, if people are comfortable providing it. Some people might find it intrusive.
MsDiscordia

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 08:57 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm not asking anyone to share every personal experience they have had during their formative years. The questions I've asked are a bit personal, but you are exaggerating.

"You can collect all the extemporaneous data you like, if people are comfortable providing it. "

Uh..I know. I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell me this.

"Some people might find it intrusive."

Yes, I agree. If they find it intrusive then they shouldn't respond. Common sense. Smile I'm, obviously, not forcing anyone to answer anything.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:01 pm
@MsDiscordia,
well-handled MsD.

hopefully some less mmmmm constrained folks will check in and respond to your questions
MsDiscordia

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you again ehBeth.
I'm sure this is a great forum, but I don't think it's the place for me. I found a wonderful group on facebook and the women there are a lot more forthcoming. Lol Smile

I've been trying to figure out how to delete this for the past hour or so. Can you help me out? I'd like to delete this account as well.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:36 pm
@MsDiscordia,
go to the bottom of the page

there is a contact us link - forum admins can let you know what's possible
MsDiscordia

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you!
Ragman

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 05:10 am
@MsDiscordia,
I am sensing some discord. Mr. Green

Maybe it's my upbringing. I think it's the phase of the moon.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 06:04 am
@MsDiscordia,
MsDiscordia wrote:

Thank you again ehBeth.
I'm sure this is a great forum, but I don't think it's the place for me. I found a wonderful group on facebook and the women there are a lot more forthcoming. Lol Smile

I've been trying to figure out how to delete this for the past hour or so. Can you help me out? I'd like to delete this account as well.

I can't speak for others, but I'm trying to be forthcoming.
However, I can't be though if I don't understand what is being asked. I can't give an opinion if the parameters are so broad, and at the same time so limiting.

If you want to elecit responses, the onus is on you to be clear, and complete. I sense you're insulted that anyone is questioning the perfection of your questions i.e. "It's not complicated", when it would make sense that this should be a work in progress and suggestions on how to be better understood would be welcome.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 10:05 am
@MsDiscordia,
Quote:
1.What do you think about women who choose to have children via sperm donation? (Remember: These women are financially stable most of the time.)

I guess it would be a challenge just like any other parenting. It would seem better to me if there were another person to help out.

Quote:
Do you know any fatherless/motherless children? Are they well adjusted?

I do not know of any well adjusted single parents.

Quote:
Are you/were you a fatherless/motherless child?

Yes my mother raised me.

Quote:
Are you well adjusted?

I can hold my own and make a fair living and a retirement that should be OK. I can not say the same for my siblings as they seem to struggle harder.

Quote:

It was OK but if there was another loving parent it would have been better for me and my mother.

Quote:
How is your relationship with the parent that raised you?

It has always been very good.

Welcome to this world

0 Replies