UNEMPLOYMENT SOARS IN KEY ELECTION STATES

Titus

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 05:32 pm
Unemployment rates increased in February in nine of 17 battleground states that could decide the presidential election in November.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-03-31-battleground-unemployment_x.htm

Polls consistently show that jobs and the economy are the most important issues to voters, and that a majority think Democrat John Kerry is better suited to improve the situation than Bush. The economy is growing, but hiring is near a standstill.

2 million new jobs by 05'? Georgie, what are we going to do with cha'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 753 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 05:40 pm
Quote:
Visa Cap Leaves Cape Without Needed Workers
Only 66,000 Seasonal Work Visas Available In 2004

POSTED: 4:10 pm EST April 1, 2004
UPDATED: 4:37 pm EST April 1, 2004

BOSTON -- Every year, many Cape Cod businesses rely heavily on foreign workers to fill jobs that locals don't want and students can't accept. But the number of work visas available for 2004 has reached the limit, and a lot of businesses have been caught short-handed.

NewsCenter 5's Jorge Quiroga reported that Joanne Baker's Cape Cod bed and breakfast is set to open soon. Guests are booked, but she is left making beds and her husband, Ken, is cleaning bathrooms.

"Our housekeepers would come and they are the ones that do spring cleaning and get everything ready and they are not here," said Baker.

Six Jamaican housekeepers usually do this work at the Palmer House Inn. The workers hired by the Bakers use seasonal work visas known H2Bs.

But this year, the national cap on the program of 66,000 visas was exhausted before the Bakers' application was even considered.

"Because of that, we stopped taking applications for H2B employment as of March 9," said Chris Bentley, of the U.S. Immigration Service.

"I had no idea, there was no warning, no nothing. I have yet to hear from them," said Baker.

Hundreds of Cape businesses have been blindsided -- hotels, restaurants, drugstores and supermarkets now face a summer staffing crisis.

Foreign workers make up 20 percent of the extra employees hired for the tourist season.

"I can't sit here and tell a bride (we) don't have enough wait staff to take care of her wedding," said Cape restaurant owner Bill Zamer. Zamer, who runs four restaurants, including the Coonamesset Inn, is one of the lucky ones. He got the OK and his 75 seasonal workers started to arrive this week.

"If I don't have these workers, I have to curtail the size of my business dramatically," said Zamer.

Employers on the Cape say foreign seasonal workers are vital to the economy. Business owners say these workers do jobs many locals won't, and they also fill the gap in a tourist season that stretches from the spring before student workers get out of school, until the fall well after they have gone back to the classroom.

Immigration officials deny allegations the cap has never been strictly enforced.

"It's been close in a couple of years, but we have never exceeded or even met the cap. This year there is just a much greater demand," said Bentley.

And that leaves Baker totally overwhelmed.

"Nobody can run 17 rooms with just two people," said Baker.

Earlier this week, Sen. Edward Kennedy filed legislation that would allow an emergency increase of 40,000 visas -- dubbed the "Save The Summer Act of 2004."

SOURCE: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2968059/detail.html

If we're hurting for jobs why is Sen. Kennedy asking to allow 40,000 more people to come into this country to work?
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 05:47 pm
"If we're hurting for jobs why is Sen. Kennedy asking to allow 40,000 more people to come into this country to work?" fishin'

Not to worry.

Your hero, George "aWol" Bush, wants to grant citizenship to somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 8 million illegals from Mexico before his term is finally over.

That should more than solve the housecleaning staff dilemma on Cape Cod.

Rewarding citizenship to the greatest country on earth to lawbreakers -- at last I know what was meant by the phrase "compassionate conservative."
[/color]
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 05:48 pm
Titus, you're being an Esel.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:00 pm
Titus wrote:
"If we're hurting for jobs why is Sen. Kennedy asking to allow 40,000 more people to come into this country to work?" fishin'

Not to worry.

Your hero, George "aWol" Bush, wants to grant citizenship to somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 8 million illegals from Mexico before his term is finally over.

That should more than solve the housecleaning staff dilemma on Cape Cod.

Rewarding citizenship to the greatest country on earth to lawbreakers -- at last I know what was meant by the phrase "compassionate conservative."
[/color]

In the interest of bipartisanship, I must stand up for our president on this one.

Factually, the mexicans were here (i.e. in the US) quite a bit longer than the Europeans. Unless you are a Native American, it is you who was the real illegal immigrant.

Further more, the US is the greatest country on earth because of two things...

First of all we are a country of immigrants. From English to Irish to Spanish to German to African to Arabic -- each culture has added to our great country.

Second of all, we are a country of lawbreakers. Our country started with the "Tea Party". The greatest triumphs of our history were against the law. I would include

- The abolition movement -- characterized by the (quite illegal) underground railroad.
- The Civil Rights movement with illegal bus riding, illegal interracial marriages, illegal demonstrations.
- The Vietnam protests, which helped end a war that in hindsight should have been ended much sooner.

So lighten up. No one can be wrong all the time, and this is Bush's turn to be right.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:03 pm
doglover:

Bush also opined to his professor at Yale, "People are poor because they're lazy."

From a man born into an American aristocracy and who didn't get his first job until age 40.

After class Bush went yachting.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:14 pm
Re: UNEMPLOYMENT SOARS IN KEY ELECTION STATES
Titus wrote:
Unemployment rates increased in February in nine of 17 battleground states that could decide the presidential election in November.

Reality check: nine of 17 battleground states is about ... half.

"Jobless rates fell in six of the most contested states and held steady in two others [..]

Overall, unemployment rates were lower in 24 states and Washington, D.C., in February, higher in 19 states and unchanged in seven, the report said."

The upswing Bush promised is not there, obviously ... but neither is there significant deterioration.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:15 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

So lighten up. No one can be wrong all the time, and this is Bush's turn to be right.

Not THAT'S a funny line. Mr. Green Mr. Green
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:17 pm
I'm also with ebrown on Bush and the Mexicans. These are mostly people who have already worked their asses off in the US for years, doing dirty jobs for the Americans, without enjoying any rights ... just because back at home, things were worse. They deserve a break.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:27 pm
Titus wrote:
doglover:

From a man born into an American aristocracy and who didn't get his first job until age 40.

After class Bush went yachting.

Bush is a wet fart of a man.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:38 pm
America has a couple of flaws too, and what Bush wants to do to the Mexicans is the perfect example. He will make them a permanent underclass of labor. Our second, and perhaps fatal flaw, is our utter dependency upon foreign energy resources, without which we'd be as good as Mexico. Maybe that's why they are jacking up the price of oil now, to make an even larger permanent underclass of labor. Labor has value no matter what color it is, and the universe is full of stange and wonderful energy resources for us to exploit. Why hasn't Bush started a massive public works project called DEFEND AMERICA? Why is OPEC cutting production? Why are we at war with the world's second largest oil fields?
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:40 pm
Mexicans h ere in America thinking they will get amnesty is absurd. They will be granted citizenship rights so that they can be underpaid and overtaxed...like any good cheap source of labor.

Sure, they deserve a break, but what they will get is a raw deal.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:44 pm
Umbagog wrote:
Sure, they deserve a break, but what they will get is a raw deal.

Well I agree that Bush's proposals don't go far enough, if that's what you're arguing -- but surely they're getting an even rawer deal as illegal workers now. <shrugs>
0 Replies